The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Everly Brothers sing 5 Songs in Italian7997

bert private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kEBrou-xY
Post 1 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Our boys are brilliant in whatever language they sing their hits! But, it must be said the original English versions are still by far the tops! [The Italian songs above are certainly more melodic than the one in German someone else posted elsewhere it also has to be said!!!] Really fun to hear these other versions though!! Thanks for the post Bert!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
I admit that I like the German songs better, possibly because I did German at school, long long time ago. (I can just about translate some of the lyrics). I'm afraid that the Italian is beyond me though...
I made up a playlist on my mp3 player with all the German and Italian songs, and added Gran Mamou into it as well, as a bonus!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
I do think the Everly’s recording in Italian or German is well done, but I speak neither language so what do I know? They sound pretty impressive to me, but always do. Liz one of, if not the best friend I have ever had, was originally from Mamou Louisiana. She passed away fairly young, was very outgoing (she was plain old loud)and funny, her children were so like her too. The song Gran Mamou brings a smile to my face.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I never understood why these German recordings were done in the first place. I was born in the South of Holland, about 1 mile from the German border. Also a kid I was not into German music at all, although we had to learn German, French and English at school. The only music programs we could see on TV were those German Music Shows.I think the Everly's were "asked ?" to record also some German songs because Elvis recorded "Muss Ich Denn" (Wooden Heart) when he was in the US army in Germany. He had a big hit with that song,also played a lot in Holland on the radio, because Elvis was IN Germany at that time and got a lot of publicity. It was almost impossible to enter the German charts in another language those days,the language barrier in certain European countries made it difficult to get airplay, especially in Germany. US singer Connie Francis Knows all aboout it too. Recordings like, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool, Although this single became her first number 1 on the US charts (immediately followed by her second number 1, "My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own", and its B-side "Jealous of you (Tango della Gelosia)" became a huge hit in Italy, it failed to make any impression on the German charts.She became successful when she started singing her hits in the German language. Francis' enduring popularity overseas led to her having television specials in numerous countries around the world, such as Germany. To get on the German charts was a battle and you had to put in a lot of time, the most important thing was : you had to be there....and not one day.You had to be on these TV shows, to be on the radio, sing your songs, having interviews etc. Just flying in and record some songs.....not a good idea.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Recording the German songs

Post 6 IP   flag post
Sharona private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58
I admit that I like the German songs better, possibly because I did German at school, long long time ago. (I can just about translate some of the lyrics). I'm afraid that the Italian is beyond me though...
I made up a playlist on my mp3 player with all the German and Italian songs, and added Gran Mamou into it as well, as a bonus!

Lyrics for practically all EB songs including the foreign ones can be found here. Can't vouch for their accuracy though: https://robindunnmusic.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/the-everly-brothers-lyrics-august-2017.pdf
Post 7 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Gosh! Fancy the Germans preferring to listen to songs in their own language!! It is really too guttural a tongue for love songs Hope this doesn't offend anyone but it is true!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
DeeDee -

I lived in Zurich, Switzerland for 5 years. Zurich is the German speaking part of that country. Many was the time that people accidentally spit on others while speaking the language. It truly is guttural and makes one spit from time to time!
Post 9 IP   flag post
55068 9 9
destitute