The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Watched a programme over the weekend on BBC4 entitles The heart of country the Nashville sound. It was interesting. annoyingly Don and Phil were not even mentioned. However about 90 mins in a really old photo of Johnny Cash Buddy Holly and I think Don and Phil But they looked about 12!! Did anyone else see it xx❤️❤️
Post 1 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't see the programme Joy but I will take a look at it as soon as I can.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Will have to check on catchup, but if it it the boys Don would be 22, Phil 20, and not eating properly?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Think it’s earlier than that Ever1fan. They look really young xx❤️❤️
Post 4 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Must get this on catch up It sounds very intriguing! Has anyone found out yet if the photo in it does actually feature Don and Phil? Seems ridiculous that a whole programme about Nashville managed not to mention the Everlys!!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I am hoping to watch this programme on Friday if the photo is near the end of the programme if I run out of time I may have to skip through to the end🤔
Post 6 IP   flag post
From memory I think it’s at about 90 minutes Chris xx❤️❤️
Post 7 IP   flag post
I too think the boys would be about 19-20 and 21-22 as Buddy Holly is mentioned as being in this photo [though I haven't seen it myself] and that would probably be from the time they were all on tour together? If anyone can get the photo to come up here that would be great as I think we are all intrigued now!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Johnny Cash and Buddy are in the same picture. I think the one of the boys is from a different occasion, partly because it's so out of focus, from their head shape I think it might be from when they first started in Nashville, about 53/54
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DeeDee

This is the link for the programme DeeDee

I am not convinced it is Phil and Don, I sent the recording back several times and I am just not sure.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I agree Chris and Everly1fan I wasn’t sure if it was Don and Phil they look so very young suppose it could have been from one of the ‘tent show tours’ before Bye Bye Love hit Or before as they look So very young it’s not a very clear photo. Xx❤️❤️
Post 11 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys I've now just watched this programme on BBC iPLAYER. Its long and yes sad that Don and Phil don't appear, but neither do tons of other Country folk and very famous ones too.

Joyb I can 100% confirm those two young guys are not Don and Phil, don't know who they were or whatever happened to them. The clip is when Elvis came to Lubbock in the mid 50's before Buddy ever recorded, if you catch it quick Sonny Curtis is standing to the right of Buddy in this clip. At the time our two lovely guys were still in Knoxville and dreaming of the success that was to come their way!!

However it was great to see Pat Alger a couple of times in this programme. He is a very lovely man and friend of both our boys. Those of you who saw the boys shows in the 80's will remember he opened the show for them, in fact Don mentions him in the 1984 interview posted a few days ago. Pat also wrote songs for the boys. "I'm taking my time" on EB84 and Julianne on "Some Hearts".
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you for clearing that up Kathy. Yes I remember seeing Pat Alger opening for Don and Phil. Also Ralph McTell xx❤️❤️
Post 13 IP   flag post
Always interesting how some detective work from knowledgeable members of the forum can clear up all those little mysteries!! Thanks Kathy for that info! Great documentary [thanks Chris for the link!] but I can't think how the programme makers could miss out Don and Phil's HUGE contribution! They even extensively mention the farming families listening to early morning radio when the Everlys of course had their family programmes on the air over many years, not to mention all the hits the boys had when they moved to Nashville!! It's a crazy omission! They were and are massive stars and should have featured heavily!
Post 14 IP   flag post
55068 14 14
destitute