The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Phil Everly Bill medley Brian Wilson7987

Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
came across this a few weeks ago and debated whether to post it as I couldn’t really hear Phil and Bill medley sounds dreadful. However the are some nice photosxx❤️❤️
Post 1 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I agree about the photos Joy. I knew of this song with the 3 of them a couple of years ago and Bill Medley drowns out the others too much. Phil is present on there and with headphones he is a little clearer.

It is just like Phil to accept to do this, he was so amenable, he had a generous character.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Never heard of Bill medley!! Think I will just leave it that way!! If only we could hear Phil!!! Nice photos of him though!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
DeeDee -

Bill was 1/2 of The Righteous Brothers (not really brothers) who popularized blue eyed soul, as it was called. You may know some of their more popular songs: Unchained Melody and You've Lost That Loving Feeling being just two of them.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Never my cup of tea. Bobby Hatfield was the other half xx❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
KDF private msg quote post Address this user
It’s Phil that adds the refrain “in my room” second and third time around and as the song builds is the third voice
You can tell Phils phrasing when he sings “I won’t be urufraid” if you get my drift
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Sitting listening, thinking yes Bill doesn't sound good, then one clear gentle voice at around 2.20 'In my room' and again on the fade out.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
The harmony singer should never dominate a production, unless it is specifically written that way
Post 8 IP   flag post
But you must agree Bill medley sounds dreadful xx
Post 9 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user

Bill Medley appeared as a solo artist also at the show Johnny Cash Presents The Everly Brothers (Show 8 - broadcasted August 26, 1970).
He performed “Games People Play” and, together with Don and Phil, “Sticks and Stones”.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
I seem to recall that Bill Medley had vocal problems and lost his voice for a few years, around 72 perhaps? Maybe that explains the way he sounds here.
Post 11 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
For those who are interested, here's the excerpt from the show 8 - Don and Phil strongly support Bill Medley singing "Sticks and Stones" (unfortunately only available as audio). A rather furious performance.

https://v637g.app.goo.gl/9QCjE83LAHdU7yAx9

To compare, please hear the Everly Brothers's own version, recorded January 1967, so three years earlier than the recording from the show.
A bit different than usual from the Everly Brothers - Don's going wild and...is this Phil imitating a girls choir?

Post 12 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the link at the right spot to hear it Bobby, much appreciated.

I think the performance with Bill Medley had passed me by somewhat when I listened to Show 8 previously.

Phil and Don's version I have listened to many times and I honestly think in the years 1966-1969 if it was released, UK not sure about US, hopefully US members can comment on that, they could have had a hit with it. It is a very hippy song of the times (1967) and I was listening to songs like this in those years.

Maybe they and manager etc decided it was not a song good for their image, but it would have shown a different side to what most heard from the Everly Brothers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Phil hits some very high notes in the song and with Don it makes the song interesting if not to everyone's taste.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I kind of like their version! Thanks for posting it, never heard this before.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
I like the EB version. I’ve never heard it. Don’s having a lot of fun and that really comes across!
Post 15 IP   flag post
54757 15 15
destitute