The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc -

Your wish is my command! My search said it was written by Alma Cogan correting myself - I was thinking of Sharon Sheeley who had the fling with Don and Eddie. SORRY!)

I've got the bell-bottom blues cause my sweetie is a sailor and he's sailin somewhere out to sea
I've got the bell-bottom blues cause I'm crazy 'bout a sailor and I don't know when he's comin' back to me
I shake my head and refuse when the fellers come a callin' and they want to take me on a date
I've got the bell-bottom blues while the other gals are fallin I just sit around the living room and wait
I wonder if he's lookin at the same moon I'm lookin at everynight I'm lookin at the moon
I know if he's prayin for the same thing I'm prayin for we'll be together soon!
I got the bell-bottom blues just a waitin for a letter heaven knows I'm lonely as can be
I got the bell-bottom blues and I won't be feelin better till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me

I wonder if he's lookin at the same moon im lookin at every night im lookin at the moon
I know if he's prayin for the same thing im prayin for we'll be together soon!
I got the bell-bottom blues just a waitin for a letter heaven knows im lonely as can be
I got the bell-bottom blues and I won't be feelin better till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me
Till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me!!

clickable text
Post 26 IP   flag post
Kathyc (and everyone) -

I corrected my mistake. Sharon Sheeley was Don and Eddie's fling. Alma was not. But Alma wrote the song according to the lyrics I found.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Gosh thanks Red. I had no idea it was Alma - although I should have realised it was sung with a bubble which she had in her voice. She died in her thirties and is buried in a Jewish Cemetery about a 15/20 minute walk from my house. Although I would question a relationship with Don they probably only met once and my memory of the first TV show it was Phil she grabbed hold of and he appeared shocked.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Kathyc -

In that top photo is the girl with the white headband next to Don your friend, Sheena? She looks like her. I saw a photo of the two of you with Don and Phil at a table in Ireland and it sure looks like her in that black and white picture.

And is Jackie standing with Phil in the back? It sort of looks like her, too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Re top photo no you can't actually see Sheena in this one she is second on the right and you can only just see her hair and hand - in another photo at the time you can see her and the girl second left in this photo is giving Sheena a dirty look. Sheena put herself in the camera shot deliberately, as these were not fans and the record company had refused us bringing some fans along. I think Sheena was trying to make a point.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Is that Jackie in the back next to Phil?
Post 31 IP   flag post
No this is 1968 Jackie was back at home looking after Jason, she only ever came to England with him in 1963.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Thanks for clearing those questions up!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
Yes thanks Kathy! You always know more than anyone else.
I think however that you may have misunderstood Red, I think she meant that it was Sharon Sheeley who was rumored to have had an affair with Don whilst he was still married and she said she wrote Ricky Nelson’s hit Poor Little Fool about her time with Don. No idea if that’s true or not, of course, but that was her spin. She was Eddie Cochran’s gf at the time of his fatal car accident and with him in the car and badly injured herself.

Never heard that sailor song, but we had our own here in the 60s “Blue Navy Blue” by Diane Renay. She also sang “Soldier Boy” so I guess she really got around The Armed Forces 😜
No idea if she ever got around Don and Phil tho😝

I’m sure pretty girls were grabbing at the boys 24/7!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Marty -

I first wrote that it was Alms that had a fling with Don and was Eddie's girlfriend then corrected (edited) my post when I realized I was wrong on that point. Kathyc's reply and my edit crossed paths in the larger cyber universe
Post 35 IP   flag post
Actually at this press reception - I stupidly had my hair dyed red (sorry Red) it was the only time ever. Phil greated me with take that ridiculous wig off it doesn't suit you only to grab my head and to discover it was my hair and he said what have you done to your lovely hair, which as you can imaging made me feel even worse. I found a lovely hairdresser in Birmingham over the next few days whilst we were at the Rum Runner to tone things down both colour and cut
. If someone could exit me from this photo it could be a good one. I had to make it worse by talking!
Post 36 IP   flag post
The color looked good but the style not so much. I like your hair straight not curled. I suspect that was what Phil meant when he said it didn't suit you. But we can be twinsie redheads because the color looked good, I think anyway!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Yes I'd had long hair - this just looked like she'd taken rollers out and left it. The hairdresser in Birmingham cut it so it looked longer and toned the colour to a kinda strawberry blond. I never risked such a dramatic change ever again.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Too bad because I like the color on you!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Seems Teresa Brewer had a hit with Bell Bottom Blues too in the States. My Dad loved her - still have a single of the hula hoop song.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Another observation, the guy on the far left in the 2nd photo looks like he's a contestant in a Don Everly look-alike contest.
Post 41 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Oh if only I knew what any of this is about?? It surely is nice though to know that the Everlys had such devoted fans who can remember details of every meeting [lucky you] they ever had with Don and Phil over the years!
Post 42 IP   flag post
54757 42 17
destitute