The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Marty private msg quote post Address this user

Kathy, wondering if you can shed any light on these photos. I’ve always been curious as to the who, what, and where of them and you know that you are my “go to girl” for all things behind the scenes Everly.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Rusty private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely fascinating! I've no sensible ideas - have to wait for Cathy C's response for that - , but judging from the hairstyles and clothes, early-mid-Beatles era, not quite flower-power? '64-'65? The big question is: who is Wendy? A fan club do, perhaps? Or close family? Behind scenes after a concert? Can't wait for some answers! The great thing is: they all look happy, but not off their heads! Phil looks quite relaxed on the floor. Presumably the black-and-white pic is of a different occasion (unless they took a change of clothes)?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Don is dressed like the curtains. If not for the hat it would be a Where's Waldo situation!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Looks like the late 60s to me. The first black and white pic is from a different day/event but I always wondered about the girls. Don looks like he’s struttin’ his stuff in that pic, it always makes me chuckle. Looks like Phil may be with his wife, Jackie, in the back. Other than that, I’m stumped.
The other two color pics are intriguing. Yes, Red, Don looks to be doing a bit of a Scarlett O’Hara with those drapes. All seem to be having a fun time.
KathyC will know, she ALWAYS knows what’s what!
For all we know, she may have even been the photographer!
Post 4 IP   flag post
oldrosie private msg quote post Address this user
it is so nice to share these photos thanks loads
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jpodpe private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a Birthday party-- love the hats!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Hi the top one I can tell you as I was there it's London May 1968 at a press reception for them at Pye's offices, the girls are not fans they are just Pye Admins who turned up briefly I doubt they knew which one was Don or Phil.

The second and third ones I have seen before I would guess its the States although it could be Australia around the same time 1968/1969, Terry is holding the cake and Sammy is on the far right, at the minute I can't remember the drummers name it will come soon I hope. I don't recognise any of the ladies or which one is Wendy! They look like they were having fun and as usual Phil is on the floor - Terry Slater is the best person to say where these two were taken. If you view this Terry can you tell please?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks, Kathy!🤗
Post 8 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
@Kathyc Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyc
at the minute I can't remember the drummers name it will come soon I hope. I don't recognise any of the ladies or which one is Wendy!

The drummer (on the left side of the pic) is Jimmy Karstein.
I read somewhere that the shown birthday party took place during their stay at Chequers, Sydney in Australia (25 July – 14 August 1968). If I recall correctly, it was Sam McCue who told about and stated that the girls were their cohabitants.

Anyway, Terry Slater should be able to shed some light on the situation...
Post 9 IP   flag post
BobbiBri -

By cohabitants do you mean girlfriend? And whose girlfriends, Don and Phil's or the other guys?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I really don't know. Do you think they had Groopies back then?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you BobbyBri it is Jimmy Carstein, not sure whether his surname is spelt with a K or a C I've seen it both ways rather like Kathy! Also not sure if he was married at the time the other four certainly were so cohabitants is an interesting choice of word. As there only appear to be three girls - looks like Terry and Phil were behaving themselves.
Post 12 IP   flag post
BarbaraAnnL private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps I can help a bit. The party photos are in ‘Chained to a Memory’ and were taken at the Latin Quarter in NYC June or July 1968. I have seen one of the photos credited to Everly friend, Heide Ploen so these may be hers also. The Wendy bubble wasn’t on the original...I added it for a friend’s birthday and it seems to have traveled a bit.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Kathyc
Not necessarily, we don’t know who is behind the camera and some girls may be camera shy if they were where they shouldn’t be...
Post 14 IP   flag post
BobbiBri -

Groupies have existed since minstrels travelled the countryside in Shakespeare's time, and even before!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BobbyBri
I think even Shakespeare had groupies lol.
I’m pretty sure Don and Phil had their pick as well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966
Jinx! Buy me a Coke!
Same thought at the same time!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Marty -

Is there a way to buy and send a coke through the forum? If not, I don't know how I could get it to you
Post 18 IP   flag post
Red-

Virtual Coke will do...
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966 @Redhead1966
Well ladies, you both are quite right about the groupies and I have not thought hard enough.
Just one question remains: who are the girls of the party?

Btw, I would prefer a cup of coffee, please...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Seems as if I'm serious in need of coffee. Second one should be @Marty
Post 21 IP   flag post
Marty -

You gave yourself the coke so thanks!

BobbiBri -

As gorgeous and famous as the boys were there were countless young ladies around them so identifying one is like trying to name everyone in the phone book in every country and every city in the world! Virtually impossible!

Ask Marty for that cup of coffee ... she seems to be good at finding virtual drinks!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Red-
I’m generous like that. This one is on me, next Coke it your treat.

BobbieBri-
Here ya go. Enjoy!

I agree with Red, like sailors, I’m sure the boys had a girl in every port and every girl thought they were special. The only one. Tale as old as time, I’m afraid.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Wow Marty, that looks so delicious! Thanks a lot!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Chaging the subject slightly - I know a lot of you younger ones won't have any idea what I'm on about. When I was a little girl there was a song I've no idea what it was called or who sang it - but there was the line - "I've got the bell bottom blue cos my sweetie is a sailor and he sails somewhere upon the seas". Do any of you remember this? Another line was "I wonder if he's looking at the same moon I'm looking at each night I'm looking at the moon"????
Post 25 IP   flag post
Kathyc -

Your wish is my command! My search said it was written by Alma Cogan correting myself - I was thinking of Sharon Sheeley who had the fling with Don and Eddie. SORRY!)

I've got the bell-bottom blues cause my sweetie is a sailor and he's sailin somewhere out to sea
I've got the bell-bottom blues cause I'm crazy 'bout a sailor and I don't know when he's comin' back to me
I shake my head and refuse when the fellers come a callin' and they want to take me on a date
I've got the bell-bottom blues while the other gals are fallin I just sit around the living room and wait
I wonder if he's lookin at the same moon I'm lookin at everynight I'm lookin at the moon
I know if he's prayin for the same thing I'm prayin for we'll be together soon!
I got the bell-bottom blues just a waitin for a letter heaven knows I'm lonely as can be
I got the bell-bottom blues and I won't be feelin better till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me

I wonder if he's lookin at the same moon im lookin at every night im lookin at the moon
I know if he's prayin for the same thing im prayin for we'll be together soon!
I got the bell-bottom blues just a waitin for a letter heaven knows im lonely as can be
I got the bell-bottom blues and I won't be feelin better till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me
Till my sailor boy comes sailin home to me!!

clickable text
Post 26 IP   flag post
Kathyc (and everyone) -

I corrected my mistake. Sharon Sheeley was Don and Eddie's fling. Alma was not. But Alma wrote the song according to the lyrics I found.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Gosh thanks Red. I had no idea it was Alma - although I should have realised it was sung with a bubble which she had in her voice. She died in her thirties and is buried in a Jewish Cemetery about a 15/20 minute walk from my house. Although I would question a relationship with Don they probably only met once and my memory of the first TV show it was Phil she grabbed hold of and he appeared shocked.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Kathyc -

In that top photo is the girl with the white headband next to Don your friend, Sheena? She looks like her. I saw a photo of the two of you with Don and Phil at a table in Ireland and it sure looks like her in that black and white picture.

And is Jackie standing with Phil in the back? It sort of looks like her, too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Re top photo no you can't actually see Sheena in this one she is second on the right and you can only just see her hair and hand - in another photo at the time you can see her and the girl second left in this photo is giving Sheena a dirty look. Sheena put herself in the camera shot deliberately, as these were not fans and the record company had refused us bringing some fans along. I think Sheena was trying to make a point.
Post 30 IP   flag post
54757 42 30
destitute