The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

A Christmas tune appropriate for the time of year :)7954

DarrenGreenwood private msg quote post Address this user
Please enjoy
Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Darren -

It won't play in the USA But thanks for posting!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi, Darren, it won't play in Australia thanks all the same
peter
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
The photo on the lp is flipped, Phil's hair is wrong
Post 4 IP   flag post
Plays lovely in uk
Post 5 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
@Ever1yfan Better this way?

It works just fine in Germany. Thanks Darren.
Post 6 IP   flag post
😂😂😂 now that's better
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Does this link work for the US?

Post 8 IP   flag post
Yes, this works! It's beautiful! Thanks
Post 9 IP   flag post
Alternatively listen to the full album

1. 00:00:00 Everly Brothers O Holy Night
2. 00:03:08 Everly Brothers Away in A Manger
3. 00:05:10 Everly Brothers Ave Maria-
4. 00:10:26 Everly Brothers Adeste Fideles
5. 00:13:48 Everly Brothers The Holly And The Ivy
6. 00:16:15 Everly Brothers Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
7. 00:18:25 Everly Brothers The First Noel
8. 00:20:53 Everly Brothers Bring A Torch, Jeannette, Isabella
9. 00:22:22 Everly Brothers What Child Is This
10. 00:24:42 Everly Brothers God rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
11. 00:26:09 Everly Brothers We Wish You A Merry Christmas
12. 00:27:33 Everly Brothers O Little Town Of Bethlehem
13. 00:29:57 Everly Brothers Deck The Halls With Boughs of Holly
14. 00:31:31 Everly Brothers Silent Night
Post 10 IP   flag post
ChrisW - won't play in the US. The countries need to get together and make it so the entire world can see things on the world wide web! Thanks though!
Post 11 IP   flag post
it played in Australia now thanks
peter
Post 12 IP   flag post
This full album does work for the US and everyone else. Thank goodness

Released December 11th 2017

Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you, ChrisW!
Post 14 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Lovely Coming through loud and clear in the UK! Superb Christmas post!! Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks Peter we get to know all the places things work or not just by members helping out.

Thanks to Darren for starting this thread getting us ready for Christmas.
Post 16 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Chris, I don't recognize the tracks "Holy Night, Ave Maria" etc on that album; there is no Everly on them. In saying that, as much as I love the Everlys singing on the Christmas Album, their total input on that album is just 18 minutes. Warners sold it as 60 minutes of Everly carols; I felt really ripped off back in the early 60's when bought the record 😏
Post 17 IP   flag post
MeFloody -

Just one of the billions of ways the business side of show business gets in the way of the artist's freedom and the audience's full enjoyment at times. The record company will usually put money ahead of artistry and honesty.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFloody
Chris, I don't recognize the tracks "Holy Night, Ave Maria" etc on that album; there is no Everly on them. In saying that, as much as I love the Everlys singing on the Christmas Album, their total input on that album is just 18 minutes. Warners sold it as 60 minutes of Everly carols; I felt really ripped off back in the early 60's when bought the record

I know the feeling Mike, my vinyl is the original with the Boys Town Choir like the photo on my above comment. There are re-releases all over the place making more and more money for who releases it. I did find a re-mastered one last year, everyone thinks it is new and maybe some fans even bought it, but once again it fills the pockets of others!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
DarrenGreenwood private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry everyone that couldn't hear it. I posted without thinking as I was cooking dinner at the same time. I will chastise myself.
Post 20 IP   flag post
You started a great Christmas theme Darren. Just what we needed 🎅
Post 21 IP   flag post
Darren -

Certainly no need to apologize or chastise yourself! That's just how the internet crumbles, to paraphrase a saying. Some things can't be seen in some countries. It's all good!
Post 22 IP   flag post
There is a very interesting piece somewhere about the original recording, and the Boys Town Choir, and when and how it was recorded
Post 23 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
From Everlypedia:

WHAT CHILD IS THIS (William Chatterton Dix)
Recorded on 1st October 1962 at Boys Town, Omaha, Nebraska with the Boys Town Choir. The lyrics were set to the original English tune‘Greensleeves’ in 1865.

It is a Don solo and he sings over pre-recorded tapes of The Boys Town Choir. It was originally released on the LP CHRISTMAS WITH THE EVERLY BROTHERS AND THE BOYS TOWN CHOIR. The tracks are also of course on the Bear Family box set THE PRICE OF FAME.

The choir comes from Boys Town, Nebraska, originally established (in Omaha) by Father Edward Flanagan (13th July 1886 – 15th May 1948) in 1917 – as a small home for homeless boys. It has grown into a nationwide organization. The 1938 film Boys Town starring Spencer Tracy as Flanagan tells the story of its founding.

AllMusic Review by William Ruhlmann:

For their Christmas album, the Everly Brothers opted for the most traditional approach possible, enlisting the help of the Boys Town Choir and the Boys Town organ in Omaha, NE. The 33-member choir gets co-billing on the disc, and they earn it. They have two songs, "Away in a Manger" and "Angels, From the Realm of Glory," entirely to themselves, and they sometimes dominate the tracks they share with the Everly Brothers, who often seem to check in during the middle of the song for only a chorus.
Don Everly is heard without his brother on "What Child Is This?," then leaves the spotlight to Phil Everly for "O Little Town of Bethlehem." But the Boys Town Choir backs them up regardless. One might have hoped for something livelier in a holiday collection from the Everly Brothers, but that does not detract from a release that takes a "choir boy" approach in more ways than one. [The 2005 reissue adds one bonus track, "The First Noel."]
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBri
WHAT CHILD IS THIS (William Chatterton Dix)
Recorded on 1st October 1962 at Boys Town, Omaha, Nebraska with the Boys Town Choir. The lyrics were set to the original English tune‘Greensleeves’ in 1865.

When I played the song to my husband when it was posted, it was a part of only music and I asked him which hymn it was and he said it is "Greensleeves". It is a good while since I read the piece from Everlypedia, thanks Bobby. So when I told him he was wrong in fact he was half right!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
FUN FACT: it is rumored by some (but never proven) that Greensleeves was written by Henry VIII for Anne Boleyn. If a man known for beheading wives writes a song for you I suggest you take your leave ... quickly.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966

I have read that too Redhead.
Post 27 IP   flag post
hi all how is the EB park going thanks
peter
Post 28 IP   flag post
54378 28 28
destitute