The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
As its Margaret Everly's 99th birthday today I thought I would share one of my conversations with Phil memories - in fact one of my most favoutite ones. Perhaps some kind person will re-tell it to their mother it might make her smile.

It was in I guess either 1965 or 1966. Phil and I were hanging out I can't remember how the conversation came about but I told him of how when I was a little girl in junior school I had rushed home in the lunch hour to see Liberace arrive on the boat train into London and about the screaming fans greeting him - Phil fell about laughing and said are you telling me you gave up Liberace for me? I said no I didn't really like him that much, my Mum did and I just went along with it to keep her happy. I said I like hundreds of others afterwards, he mock woundedly queried the hundreds - so I said but you're the only one I ever liked enough to join their fan club - he went thoughtful and said I tried to join a fan club once (I thought wow find out what movie actress or singer turned on our little boy Phil) so I asked who for? He replied Roy Rogers - I said Roy Rogers - it was my turn to fall about laughing - he said yes when I was a little kid I loved Roy Rogers - he then went on to tell me how had had sent off to join the Roy Rogers Fan Club and received an application form and had carefully filled it in in his best handwritting and had shown it to his Mother to looked at and she said that he had filled it in real good. He was pleased and said all he needed was an envelope and a $1. His Mom said she was real sorry but she didn't have a dollar to spare, so he never ever thought about wanting to join fan clubs again. We sat quiet for a minute or two and I said that that was funny - he said how's it funny? I replied that a couple of years earlier I had written to their Mother asking if she would like to be an Honourary Member of our club and she had written back saying she would be delighted - but she enclosed a $1 in the envelope. She didn't say why she was enclosing it and I hadn't asked her for any money. Phil said your teasing me - I said no ask Sheena - as we didn't know what to do with it - she has pinned on the wall in the fan club den - ask her - when people visit they ask why have you got a US Dollar pinned on the wall and she replies - Ma Everly sent it and we don't know why. He laughed and said you wait when I go back home I'm going to tease her "So I hear you a dollar to spare now have you?"

Whether he did mention it to her or not I've no idea - but its a sweet and true story.

Happy Birthday Mrs Everly xxxx
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Kathy, there you are sharing "Happy memories"; so why do I have tears in my eyes
Post 2 IP   flag post
Kathy, thinking about "happy memories", do you remember when Don appeared on TISWAS? I never saw a man so frightened
Post 3 IP   flag post
No I never saw that. Do tell!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone got that, please tell
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kathy, you're soo lucky to've had Phil for a friend, thanks for sharing that memory
Post 6 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
@Kathyc
Indeed a happy and seeet memory Kathy. You have so many of these. And Phil went on to not only meet Roy Rogers but to perform with him on Roy’s TV show. And Roy was singing EB hits with him, too. I wonder if he told Roy his fan club story.
I tried to attach the video of the boys performing with Roy and Dale but it seems to be blocked here in the U.S. Maybe someone smarter than I can figure out how to do so.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Great story, @Kathyc.
@MeFloody - why frightened, for heaven's sake?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc that was a sweet story!

MeFloody what is TISWAS?
Post 9 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, Kathy, great, great story!! Roy Rogers was big and I tried to join his fan club, also. but couldn't get a dollar to save my life. I got a black Hopalong Cassidy cowboy suit, complete with two six-shooters for Christmas, but still asked my grandfather for .35 cents to join Gene Autry's fan club. He gave it to me, so I scotch taped it to an index card, wrote my name and address and a couple of weeks later received a blue and white, five pointed, tin (with a clip) Official Gene Autry Junior Deputy Badge which I clutched onto for years. Not too many cattle rustlers to arrest in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, however. I didn't have the nerve to ask my grandfather again for another .50 cents for an official Sgt. Preston of the Yukon brass police whistle.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Back in the 1980's, TISWAS was a Saturday morning kids TV program on ATV. I know the "TIS" part stood for 'Today is Saturday' but can't remember that the "WAS" stood for; may be 'with a smile'. Anyways, the program was infamous for throwing buckets of water/slime and custard flans at it guests. Don was sat amongst the kids on the stage and was interviewed by Chris Tarrant(the host). Don's eye were moving around all over the place, trying to spot a flying flan or something worse. He looked so serious; I'm sure he didn't enjoy the experience but thankfully, no one threw anything at Don
Post 11 IP   flag post
This Is Saturday Wait And SeeπŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Post 12 IP   flag post
Or Today
Post 13 IP   flag post
Wow! That was the precursor to the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards where they slime the winners! As they say there's nothing new under the sun! Here in the USA the celebrities consider it a point of honor to get slimed and most look forward to it.

Is there a clip of Don's appearance on that show?
Post 14 IP   flag post
No Red, sadly I can't find one
Post 15 IP   flag post
There might be, but if so, Don is unlisted. YouTube shows 200 episodes available at
https://www.youtube.com/playlistlist=PLnGNE30Xk7iXZGcqifujKv23eqUDstOon.
I had to go and look, because I remembered hearing the show name but nothing about it. Some very big names appeared on there (Cliff Richard, Phil Collins, David Cassidy, Showaddywaddy, Queen, Hank Marvin....). Maybe the collection link is incomplete.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Judyc13 -

The link won't open. It says the page is not available.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966 Hmm - not sure why.
Anyway, I just went to YouTube and searched 'TISWAS,all episodes', and somewhere down the list there is an option to 'view full playlist 200 episodes'.
I watched a couple - exhausting!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Keep going Judy you are doing it for us and you could end up a STAR. What really annoys me my son was probably watching Multi Coloured Swatch Shop instead of Tiswas at the moment Don was on. If only we could go back in time - I need a Tardis. Remember they played Album Flash on Swap Shop and walked through the room whilst the girl was running along in story of me totally unaware that they were playing the Ev's I need locking up!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Kathyc Sorry - if I watched them all, I'd never get any work done!
In the 70's and 80's I watched very little TV - was working part of the time in Saudi Arabia when there was no western TV at all.
Probably another reason I'm so behind with EB stuff.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Do we know roughly when Don was on the show?
Post 21 IP   flag post
It would have to be around when he did the Country Music Festival at Wembley which if my awful memory is working, was 1979 (I think )
Post 22 IP   flag post
That would explain it my son would have been too young to have let me know Don was on the TV he would have still been watching small children's programmes so I'll forgive him. But still cross with myself for missing it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
MarieLuluSibenik private msg quote post Address this user
Good memories are always welcome.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
What wonderful stories you all have, lovely to share.
Post 25 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for sharing Cathy. I loved the story.
xx
Post 26 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
That was Multi coloured SWAP shop Kathy!! I remember watching that!! It would be great if someone could find the link to Don's uncomfortable TV experience! It sounds a real hoot!!! Lovely story about the $1.00 bill Phil's Mom had obviously remembered her little boy's disappointment over that Roy Rogers fan club and tried to make amends all these years later! Mrs Everly had known hard times but like most parents had kept the tight financial situation from the boys until little Phil asked her for that precious dollar that she just couldn't spare! I hope Roy Rogers gave Phil his fan club badge when he was on his show? A great story and nice that Phil knew his Mom remembered that day too!
Post 27 IP   flag post
54378 27 27
destitute