The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Did any of you catch A-Ha on The One Show last Friday singing Take on Me with Magne and Paul playing their Everly guitars? Those in the UK can get it on catch up TV, they are on at the end of the show.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't Kathy, but I'm gonna 😄Thank you for the heads-up 👍
Post 2 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Have you seen the Family Guy clip where they do a take off of Take On Me?

Post 3 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Morten Harket live clips, with reference to Phil and showing guitars and an interview with Terry Wogan. Morten talks about Terry Slater, Phil and the guitars.

At the Paris Olympia

In Amsterdam

Singing Everly Brothers songs

6th April 2014 the interview with Terry Wogan
Post 4 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris. I have never seen these before and found them and the tributes to Phil, very moving❤️❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Lovely tributes! I have to confess to never having heard of Morten Harket? Is it a group or an individual and what things do they sing of their own? Excuse my ignorance! The man has a beautiful voice and his rendition of Let it be me was very touching
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
DeeDee you never heard of A-Ha?? Where were you in the late 80's and 90's my son was a big fan I use to take him to concerts all over. Remember one at The Royal Albert Hall I think then a lot of their fans were very young like my son all taken along by their parents. He was still a huge fan all through his teens, again I use to have to take him and his girl friends to gigs. He even went to Norway a few years ago for their farewell concert. He said that Morten announced that Terry was in the audience. So I guess they are making a come back too - following in the footsteps of Sinatra and the Ev's!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Kathy my husband is a massive fan of A-ha he does have favourites such as "The sun always shines on TV" he turns it up to maximum volume every time as if he has not heard it before.
Not 100% on this without listening to the links I posted but I have a feeling that Terry is in the audience on one of them. It is a few months since I listened to them all.
I just told my husband what I was doing here now and guess what we now have that song on full volume!!!
Good memories for you and your son Kathy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I have to confess to never having heard of Morten Harket?

Morten Harket's close personal bond with the Everly Brothers, especially with Phil, is reflected in the words he found after Phil's passing away:

"From the musical legacy of the Everly Brothers we knew growing up in Norway, to the personal encounters with Phil and Don around the world many years later…from the beautiful guitars they generously gave us for Xmas one year in the late 80s, to ‘crying in the rain’ – the song we recorded as a tribute to them, but which became a hit for us too, thus reminding us with every show we subsequently played…

Whilst musical generations apart, the Everly Brothers and A-ha somehow became serendipitously intertwined. Early on our relationship to the Everly Brothers was perhaps chiefly that they had been a main source of inspiration for one of our own main sources of inspiration; the Beatles.
Later on, a much more personal and interesting bond was forged through the relationship the Everlys had with Terry Slater. Terry was previously a bassplayer for the Everly Brothers back in the 60?s, a very close, longstanding friend of Phil’s…and then went on to become A-ha’s first manager.

Through their close friendship, we were given some early glimpses into a world to come: our first ever visit to the backstage dressing-rooms at the Royal Albert Hall (the Everly reunion concert in 1983), our first ride in a limousine after a concert through a crowd of devoted fans outside, and so on… Many a night on a tour bus somewhere, we would sit and listen to Terry tell stories about life on the road with the Everlys, and I still remember a word of wisdom evidently originating from Phil and Don’s father, which went something like this: ‘you can break two sticks, one after the other – but hold them together and they cannot be broken.’

Now a big branch has fallen, but together or apart each of the Everly Brothers contributed to a musical oeuvre which continues to inspire, fascinate and comfort new generations of music lovers around the world.

We were lucky enough in our lives to know Phil Everly a little bit, and we hope some of his wry sense of humour and generous nature has rubbed off on us all.
His sweet voice will be sorely missed."

Morten Harket and Phil Everly after a Everly Brothers concert at the Royal Albert Hall 1987
Post 9 IP   flag post
54378 9 9
destitute