The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Just a quick question to you experts here.
I saw recently that Phil's composition 'Our Song' was written about the break-up in '73. Since Don has always written about his life events, I wondered if he also wrote one about that.
I initially wondered if his lovely 'Will I Ever Have A Chance Again' was for that, but found it came from way earlier. Almost works, though.
Anyone know of one?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
I love ‘Our Song’ Judy.

What I've wondered, is.....what was the song Don said he was listening to when the news came in, that Phil had died!? Don said he was listening to his favourite song by Phil and had an immense emotional moment! So I do wonder, what was the song?

Don has never said. But then, he hasn't said a lot since Phil went! He must get feelings of desolation even though they saw little of each other in the last years. Don said he was shocked when he found out how ill Phil was! It must still give him a jolt to realise Phil actually died and died first too!

Five years in January! So, adding the two years before Phil was born. Don has almost lived seven years more than Phil so far! xxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Don's visit to Studio B the morning after Phil's death was, I think, very touching ❤️
Post 3 IP   flag post
@MeFloody Hadn't heard about that Mr Mike. What happened?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFloody
Don's visit to Studio B the morning after Phil's death was, I think, very touching ❤️

This is the first I've heard of Don visiting Studio B the day after Phil died!

Could you elaberate MeFloody?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I will try to get time to write this soon ❤️
Post 6 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
@MeFloody
I heard about that but I didn't find confirmation that was good to know Mike. I heard of Don visiting another place too. I wish he had seen Phil when he was very ill, he may have and he is just keeping things private and who can blame him.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I can give a thumbnail outline of it since I recall reading it somewhere.

That morning Don went to the studio before it opened. He showed the worker who came to the door his drivers license to prove who he was and explained that his brother had just died and asked to be let in so he could just sit there alone and reminisce.

MeFloody, feel free to correct and/or add to what I wrote!
Post 8 IP   flag post
That is exactly what I read too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Jeanroberts I think we all wonder about that song - but it seems too personal somehow to enquire too deeply. Would be nice if we find out some day.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
@Redhead1966 I have never heard that story before. I admit reading it just now got me a bit verklempt. Thinking of Don sitting in that studio alone, probably feeling Phil all around him, picturing himself and his brother, two skinny kids, thinking of all they had been through...it speaks volumes about the love those two brothers had for one another. The kind of love that transcends death.

Thanks for the story, Red. Looking forward to hearing from MeFloody as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Marty -

I know, it makes you want to hug him, doesn't it?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966 for realz!!😢
Post 13 IP   flag post
This is a record of my trip to Nashville in 2017 and the wonderful relating of Phil's passing by Studio B guide, Brenda :-
Our visit to Nashville. We had a wonderful time travelling around the sites with Everly cousin, Diana Sue Taylor. She put the name Everly front and centre everywhere we had been. We when to the amazing “Studio B” and if the nostalgia wasn't enough to bring you to your knees, having seen Diana Sue's wonderful collection of unpublished childhood photos of Don and Phil, tour-guide Brenda Allen told the "tour" a fabulous story.
Brenda told of the morning after Phil's death when, well before the studio opened in the morning, there was a knocking at the door. One of the younger guides went to the door and told the man standing there that he could not come in and would have to join an official tour. The man asked her ‘please’, to let him in and showed her his driving license as proof of who he was.. It was Don Everly and he just wanted to spend time in the place he Phil first made history. Brenda said all of the Studio B staff were in tears that morning . I can tell you we too all had tears rolling down our faces (including the guide) after she told us that.
If you ever get chance to go to Studio B, then please go.

We were in the Hall of Fame last week with Everly cousin Diana Sue. She showed the Studio B guide some of her photos of Don and Phil when very young, that have never been published. The guide was so moved she told us about the events that happened at Studio the day after Phil died that she doesn't normally talk about. She said, that morning someone knocked on the Studio door before 8.30am. A young guide was sent to the door to say they weren't open and they would have to join an official tour to be admitted. The caller said 'Please' and showed her his driving license to prove his ID. The caller was Don Everly and he wanted to spend a few moments alone in the place that was so special to him and his brother Philip. The guide said that she and her colleagues were all in tears while Don sat alone in the Studio. Needless to say, so were all of us that listened to her
Post 14 IP   flag post
@MeFloody Great story - thanks so much.

Back to the original question for a sec. It occurred to me that Don's looking-back song might have been 'Turn the Memories Loose Again'. Not as emotional as 'Our Song', but obviously heartfelt.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Lynn private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for sharing. Very touching!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I have always wondered if the song Don had in mind when he says he felt Phil's passing was "Words in your Eyes". We may never know, it may be too much of a private thing for Don for him to ever want to say and that's fine by me.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@ChrisW I think if we all laid bets on which song it was, we'd come up with 20 different answers!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Lynn private msg quote post Address this user
I love the song "Words in your Eyes"!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@MeFloody beautiful story, thank you for sharing it.
Regarding the song Don was listening to, I think it’s very touching that Don chooses to keep that private, just as he wanted that private time in the studio to be for just himself and Phil.
Some things are just not meant to be shared 💔
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thank you MeFloody for writing your post! The forum always seems to have something interesting to talk about!

I'm thinking about Don going to Studio B early next morning! Most people slip into a church whilst it’s quiet! I wonder if he told Phil, “When you pass you'll find me in studio B!”. We all have our ways of dealing with this type of shock! xxxxx
Post 21 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
I've not heard the story of Studio B before, it made me cry as I read it and I'm still crying. So pleased Don was able to go there to come to terms with his loss. We will I guess never know what song Don was listening to, unless of course he ever shares it, whatever it was it must have meant so much to him. As I mentioned before, before Some Hearts was released Don played it to us and when Brown Eyes came on he said he thought that this song was beautiful and he thought it was the best song that a Phil had ever written, so when I read his comments I felt Brown Eyes, but that's just my thoughts and opinion. Thanks for again for telling about Studio B such a moving story.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Jeanroberts
“Church” can be different things to different people 🤗
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
@Jeanroberts
“Church” can be different things to different people 🤗

Of course it can! The story doesn't mean Don didn't offer a prayer in church! He may have done or may not have done! My point was that oppose to slipping into a quiet church, Don went to their Studio B. He needed to feel the life they had both shared and maybe hope to feel Phil's spirit meet with him there!

As I said.....we all have our own ways of dealing with shock of this type. We may not feel the same way! I hope it gave Don comfort, it’s what he wanted to do! xxxxx
Post 24 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Judy I remember this being discussed a while ago. Somebody, I believe it was Duane Eddy, said Our Song was about Don and that the last two lines gave it away. I will try to find verification but I am out of the house at the moment.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
It was easier to find than I thought. It is in this thread about the Duane Eddy interview on BBC Radio 2.

https://forum.everlyfans.org/topic/7903/duane-eddy-on-radio-2-talks-about-phil--don/
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Jeanroberts

“My point was that oppose to slipping into a quiet church, Don went to their Studio B. He needed to feel the life they had both shared and maybe hope to feel Phil's spirit meet with him there!”

That was exactly my point too😇
Post 27 IP   flag post
Yes Marty, it’s the most difficult time in our lives when someone so close to us passes away! It’s the pitts! Having a small pot of Phil's ashes gives Don comfort too! We are all different, it wouldn't comfort me! However Don talks to the ashes. Of course ashes don’t disagree with us. Therefore the comfort is twofold!

Phil sure is spread out. In Hollywood, In Kentucky and in Nashville with Don! Maybe Don will want the ashes with him when he passes! I hope so! xxx
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Jane43 thanks. Yes, I think this was what started me thinking about it. Then I wondered whether Don had also written something about how he felt. Would have been strange if he hadn’t, since he always poured his life into his songs. Would have been from a different angle though.
Interesting that Phil mentions never feeling free, and chains that bound him, and wanting to leave, but also seems to regret being alone. Evidently the trapped feeling was shared by both, although most articles I’ve read distinctly state that Don created the break-up.
Of course, later - after the great and wonderful reunion - both agreed that it had been essential for both of them.
I love that everyone who really knew them well comments, like Duane, that they “loved each other deeply, but argued as brothers will”. That seems pretty obvious.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Jeanroberts
I have made a peace with some deceased relatives that was impossible to forge in life Bc you are quite right, the dead can’t disagree with us. I like to think they are listening though and hopefully with greater understanding.

I don’t think anyone can know what we know about Don and Phil and not understand how deeply they loved one another.
Post 30 IP   flag post
54378 31 30
destitute