The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Sir Peter Blake Mural masterpiece7936

MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know if this has been posted here before but Sir Peter Blake has a mural in the Royal Albert Hall that shows Don and Phil and, all those that have ever appeared there. When you find Don and Phil (Just above the Beatles) you can click on each face to get their details. They are incorrect for the Everlys as they first played there in the 70's
http://appearing.royalalberthall.com/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, that was almost as much fun as trying to find the lads in the marine unit photo! Fascinating. I hadn't realised they played RAH as late as they did, in 2005.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
@MeFloody
I saw the photo a couple of years ago but it didn't work like this one does. Excellent thanks 👍
Post 3 IP   flag post
Judy, there was a post a few months back that went over that last tour. Kathy got Aspirin !!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Judyc13
Judy there is an older thread I posted all about the 2005 concert in the UK you can go back in the threads to find it if you want to.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Judy, the heading was "Everly Brothers last performance date?"
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Judy the RAH was on 24th November 2005. MeFloody two years ago in January 2016 Peter Blake has an exhibition of some of his paintings and Sheena and I went to look. There was one he did of Don and Phil apparently for an album cover but Don didn't like it. Actually I could see why. I didn't bother to buy the calalogue as it was a bit expensive for just one pic that was very unflattering of Don, Phil was sort of okay. On the way home I suddenly thought why hadn't I got Sheena to distract the lady in charge and taken a quick pic on my phone. The pic you posted was in the Radio Times at the time on a double page spread, and like Judy said it took a while to find them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
OK, I give up - can't find them OR The Beatles. Where are they in proximity to The Rolling Stones? I can find them, so where do I go from them to find Don and Phil??
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966
They are below Bill Clinton.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
ChrisW -

Thanks! I can't believe I couldn't find them. Kathyc is right - not a good likeness of Don but Phil looks good.
Post 10 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for that it was very good
peter
Post 11 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
What fun!!! Amazingly I found Don and Phil quickly!! You could spend hours clicking on familiar and not so familiar faces so thanks so much MeFloody for this post! I am sure I will click on it often and find new faces each time! Must try and see the original in the RAH
Post 12 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Wow this puzzle challenge is great fun Mike, thanks for posting!
And thank you in particular for your comment on the hidden details behind every face, I wouldn't have thought of it without you.

Like DeeDee I could find Don and Phil quickly since they are placed in the middle of the photo (had a rather hard time finding the Beatles instead ).

Do you know if Sir Peter Blake has a special likening for the Everly Brothers? He portrayed them in his art works variously, always in a prominent place.
For example:

Peter Blake: IDOLS
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks Bobby that is a new photo for me some very interesting people on there. ❤️
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just looking at the RAH mural again. Are the EB's reversed? I thought Don wore the little finger ring on his right hand; and Phil's lopsided grin was to the right, not left as here. Hmm.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Clicking on Petula Clark was interesting how young she was on her first appearance at the RAH.
Post 16 IP   flag post
hi all take the quiz i got 6 out of ten good fun
peter
Post 17 IP   flag post
I saw that Peter but didn't do it, that's something for me to do tomorrow now👍
Post 18 IP   flag post
it is good fun there are some old people there it is good to see some of them
peter
Post 19 IP   flag post
you can spend hours on it if you want too
peter
Post 20 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
I spent way too much time searching earlier, just tried it again and there they were! It is easy for me to get distracted looking at the other famous faces. I gave up on the Everly military photo, many of the marines started looking too much like each other.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Marion, I think that's the idea of shaving their heads.They all look alike.
Hadn't noticed the quiz at first. May try that when I have some free time...some day.
Thanks all for reference to RAH/2005. A lot of stuff there.
Some day I'll get up the nerve to ask KathyC how she came to be having (or not having)breakfast with Phil!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyc13
Just looking at the RAH mural again. Are the EB's reversed? I thought Don wore the little finger ring on his right hand; and Phil's lopsided grin was to the right, not left as here. Hmm.

Wow Judy you must have eagle eyes! The boys in the mural are reversed indeed.

The underlying photo shows Don and Phil flipped:

I wonder if the reason for the mishap has simply been negligence of the artist?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@BobbyBri Gosh, thanks! How did you know where to find the original?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Like the way Johnny Cash is between the wrong way round boys, and Dame Judy Dench is next to Phil 🙂
Post 25 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
The Peter Blake painting I'm talking about does not seem to be reproduced at all anywhere on line. It was an oil painting he did of them in 1980's, Phil on the left in profile (ie the right side of his face staring ahead across Don and Don was looking straight ahead full face, but his face was rather too fat, unkindly so. Which is why he refused it I would guess.

Couldn't find the quiz?

Peter was friendly with Don and would invite him to dinner a lot when he was in London, he gave Don quiet a few paintings, as you may well know Don use to paint a lot, just like his Dad did. Also Don was godfather to Peter's daughter Rosie.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Judyc13 I remembered the picture because of the green cardigans that – in my view – are rather hideous. However, the boys look very handsome as always. Beauty can't be blemished, right?

@Kathyc Many thanks for the further information on Peter Blake and his connection to the Everly Brothers, especially to Don. Really interesting and much appreciated.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you mike. I’ve never seen that and I’ve been there a few times I was lucky the faces of Don & Phil jumped out at me I scored 8/10 on the quiz it was good funxx❤️❤️
Post 28 IP   flag post
very good well-done joyb
peter
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Kathyc No, had never heard that Don painted. Do we know what, what media, and are any saved for posterity?
Post 30 IP   flag post
54378 34 30
destitute