The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
I have been watching video from the EBs Chequers nightclub act and also Hippies with Money and was wondering about how they developed their act at this point. I felt KathyC was the most likely to have that info but feel free to chime in, anyone.
How was it decided as to who would do all the talking? Was Don just more comfortable in this role or did it transpire naturally over time? Did they work on the material together? Any backstory to how it all came about would be appreciated!
I do love listening to that patter between them almost as much as I enjoy listening to them sing🤗
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Marty well the night club act just kinda happened in I guess 1968. Don was just so funny he always was and Phil seemed to go along with it. We laughed with him not at him. Remember Don Wayne in 1968 telling me first night you are just going to love this and I did!!!

I will another time tell you about the red rubber duck - it was fun. I guess I'm saying 1968. But the boys were not here in 1967 so could have been then will ask by way of this site to a Terry who was there at the time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Cathy; I'm sure you have a better memory than I do. For I can never remember which years I saw Don and Phil in the UK especially the mid sixties ones. After 1963 (with Little Richard, etc) I do remember seeing them at the Rum Runner Club and then later (may be early 70's) at Barbarella's in Birmingham, but their dates are difficult to find on the net.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Kathyc thank you so much for your reply. I knew you would have insight into how it came about. It makes it even more enjoyable to know that it happened organically. I have read that some ppl felt it could have been mean spirited but I never viewed it that way. It seemed obvious that Phil was very much in on the joke and it was all in good fun and a nice way to connect with the audience. Both boys always seemed at ease and Don really was great in his role as was Phil. I especially like the look Phil gives when his crayon notes to Don have been found out!😂 It’s really a shame that their summer TV show wasn’t picked up. They both were naturals on camera (and probably off as well!)
Thanks again, Kathy...you always know things that no one else does. I can’t wait to hear the red rubber duck story!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Kathyc
I could use a smile today...how about that red rubber duck story?🤗
Post 5 IP   flag post
Marty - its a me story rather then a Everly one.

In 1968 they played the Rum Runner in Birmingham and I was there all three nights when they did their new to me at the time night club routine. Back in London I thought I would play a little joke on Phil, so went shopping for a blue baby blanket, crayons and a writing pad and envelopes for a child and all I needed was a red rubber duck (as according to Don's joke Phil's had sunk in the tub and it was all he'd had left since he lost his blanket). I started off in Hamleys in Regent Street a world famous toy shop, no red ducks, then I visited all the department stores in Oxford Street, there were a lot more then than there are today, no red rubber ducks or even red ducks to be found. So Plan B, when I was in Hamleys I noticed a bag of a dozen yellow ducks, how difficult could it be I thought to paint one of them red, so I bought the ducks and went to the airfix section and bought model paints and went home to paint a duck red. Having never painted an airfix model - I set about the first one was okay but as it dried it was a little streaky and as this was for Phil it needed to be perfect, so I thought the next one would be better, so on I went I had painted all but one when my Mum came home and went ballistic, as they had dried some of the paint had dripped all over her stainless steel drainingboard. She said I would have to buy her a new drainingboard, so I started to think this joke was going to be more expensive than I had thought. When my lovely Dad came home, laughed and went to his shed came back with a bottle of turps and put things right - phew! I packed a parcel with the blanklet, crayons, pad and the remaining yellow duck in it and put a box of jelly babies in it too and sighed it love annomous!

So the next day the boys are now back in London at the Mayfair Hotel, in my lunch hour I'd arranged to meet my friend Christine, I waited in Berkeley Street, out of sight whist she delivered my little parcel to the reception, I didn't want Phil to know it was from me and one of the band members might have seen me and let on. That night when we were with the boys in Don's room, Phil was telling us all about his mystery parcel and describing it's contents in detail, unfortunately he said and a box of little baby jellies and without thinking I said they're called jelly babies, he turned on me and said yes I knew it was from you it couldn't have been anyone else. So I told them of the story of how I had not been able to find a red rubber duck and of my eleven badly painted red ones and my Mum's drainingboard. We were all laughing so much we were almost crying. Phil said he was going to hang the blanket in his bar at home.

In 1984, think it was the NEC I'd taken two bunches of long stem red roses, I threw them for Phil to catch, and I threw a duck but it was much heavier than the roses and went flying to the back of the stage and Phil had to run to see and pick up what I'd thrown, he came back laughing and showed Don the duck and he laughed too and Phil mouthed thank you to me, I said give a bunch of roses to Don, and Don put out his hand to take one, but Phil said no, I repeated give a bunch to Don again he grinned and said no and shook his head, so Don had to give up. After the show he gave me a lovely hug and kiss for the duck.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc your story is wonderful and funny! It is so great to read your Everly comments and stories. Sure put a smile on my face too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Kathyc Now, THAT was a story well worth waiting for! Adorable!what a wonderful memory for you. I’m sure you have a big heartful of memories like this one. You shared a special relationship with both Don and Phil and we here are lucky to be able to share them through you.
I can just see you running around looking for that red duck! And devotedly trying to paint it to give Phil a laugh.
Thanks, as always for sharing your story.
I LOVED it!
Post 8 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Great story Kathy!
I know that running around looking for some special gift, I know very well. Of course you'll take the trouble for people you love.

And you, Phil and Don have had a most loving way to handle each other. Sweet memories undoubtedly!

Thanks for sharing with us.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

For KathyC...a festive red duck.

I know of a very tentative red themed connection...Paul Simon co-wrote, with Bruce Woodley of The Seekers, Red Rubber Ball ( but sadly, not duck!)....And who did Don sing with most recently? Paul Simon
Post 10 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
@MeFloody
I found this on a quick search Mike, I can dig deeper later, does this help?

"Can anyone tell me what the name of the club was just round the corner from the 'La Dolce Vita'

It was just a small room near or at the end of the street, ie..

...with the La Dolce Vita on your'e left: Go left just past the La Dolce Vita, & just before the Ringway.

(was that left: Hurst St ?)

Was this Club: Barbarellas ?

I saw the Everly Brothers there, about 69"?

See the picture of La Dolce Vita here:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,466.msg97292.html#msg97292
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Kathyc

Kathy this is such a brilliant story and what a memory for you. I needed that smile this week and that story just gave me one. Thanks
Post 12 IP   flag post
@MeFloody

More information for you Mike and everyone else.

http://waddywachtelinfo.com/EverlyBrothers.html
Post 13 IP   flag post
Kathy, clearly we were at all the same Everly shows; what a shame I didn't know you and the many other Everly fans from back then that I know now. If I remember right, it was the RUM RUNNER show that got me to join EBI for fifteen or so years. Joan and I got there early so we could get a good view. Actually, Don and Phil walked right by us in the ally leading to the club and I was too star-struck to say a word when they smile at us. Anyways, we were right by the little stage, when suddenly, we were pushed back and a whole row of seats were placed in front of us and occupied by what I could only imagine were VIP fans. Truly, after 52 years, I'm not in the least bit bitter about the experience but I thought, I'm joining that lot My other memory of the night was Don pushing Phil towards the stage steps at the end of their act; I think Don was eager to "Party" as Sam McCue tells me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Gosh MeFloody do reember that night - sorry I was one of the posh lot in the front row, several should have not been there whilst a lot of others were true friends. Sadly at least 4 are no longet with us. That was the way of life back then.
Post 15 IP   flag post
THANKS for the info, Chris! There was a La Dolce Vita club in Brum and I think it was in Hurst street but the Eve's never played there (or if they did, it was in secret) . Barbarella's was in Oozells St just down from the tax office. The Everlys had a tough act to follow there as the warm-up was amazing Raymond Froggatt and he was on fire those few nights. Down in the "Smoke", it was a different tale at the Royal Albert Hall. Ike and his boy ripped the place a part but I did feel sorry Louden Wainwright, some of the audience gave him a hard time when he opened for Don and Phil.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Agree Mefloody but Louden Wainright was bloody awful! Mrs Everly felt sorry for him. I said but he's awful and she agreed, but still felt sorry.

Wish we could have tread paths back then, but still can.
Post 17 IP   flag post
In the 2nd link I posted Mike it says they played at Barbarellas September 27th on the 1971/1972 tour so is that the time you saw them?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Chris, I'm sure I saw two shows at Barbarella's but can't remember when; only that I was supposed to meet up with Laura Williams at one of them, but this was before mobile phones and the like, and I had now idea what she looked like. Needless to say, I never did find her in the crowd but we did finally find each other in the RAH when she wrote and told me her seat number there.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank goodness for technology and how it as made the world a smaller and contactable place.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Sorry Chris, I should had said, The Rum Runner was on Broad Street; on the left, just past the Hall of Memory and what was the Mathew Bolton College. The whole area is now under the new Hyatt Hotel.
Post 21 IP   flag post
jopip private msg quote post Address this user
My it's a small world. I was also at both venues in Birmingham & remember them both well. The Barbarella's show must have been during the tour to promote the album release of Stories we Could Tell as I recall Don making the comment that their next Album Pass The Chicken & Listen would be out later & is a much better album. I think he was correct as the Stories Album was not one of their best & Pass the Chicken was terrific.

Kathy, I've wondered many times about the cover of the Stories Album.
I've always thought it a pretty depressing picture & wonder if you happen to know it's origin.
MeFloody, I was also pushed back at the Rum Runner but it wasn't an issue as it was a small stage as you have said.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Jopip; I'm over it now; well almost!
Post 23 IP   flag post
@jopip @Kathyc
I’ve always wondered about that cover photo as well, and the other like photos from what looks to be the same shoot. They were very uncharacteristic of the EBs photos. They seemed to be telling a very moody story. Kathy, I’m sure you know the story behind the “story” pictures.
And wherever did Don find that big leather coat and fur hat?!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Can I apologise to both MeFloody and jopip as I have previously said I was at Rum Runner on all three nights, my sister came to Brum for the second night but it was the third that is being talked about. I honestly did not know that we were sat in front of - thought they had previously reserved our seats, I would have been cross or at least a little upset if it were me . Sheena came that night with some members of our club. But think it was all about Freda Hilton, she was the Ev's agent she worked for Vic Lewis and was a dear life long friend of Sheena and me. MeFloddy can remeber Don's joke about Susie saying he thought a lot more happened but that was just the way his mind worked and added Freda thought so too. So honestly I think the Rum Runner were trying to impress Freda I guess.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Marty I have nothing to say about their dress on Stories other than Don loved to dress and hats etc. Don't know why we didn't talk about it we just didn't

But at that time their recordings were all Don. Phip just went along!
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Kathyc
Kathy I think Marty might be thinking more about the room they are in. Do you know anything about it at all?
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Kathyc
Thanks anyway Kathy. You are always my “go to girl” for inside Everly info. I always enjoy whatever insights you have to share.
I guess at that point Phil was just trying to keep Don happy and so went along with the direction Don wished to take.
Post 28 IP   flag post
7bexbex7 private msg quote post Address this user
Re the stage banter nothing was rehearsed—-it was simply ‘banter’
Of course for vocalists it was an easy way of ‘having a breather ‘

The boys used to have many ad libs,—- some were funny and many weren’t. As the years went on they simply used the lines that received a favourable reaction——

That’s about it really!——nothing special.

Cheers, Terry Slater
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thanks for that insight Terry much appreciated.
Post 30 IP   flag post
54167 31 30
destitute