The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
bert private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNMITdI83o4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR03jO6-63km5sODUp9RtwaJdyecjKc9OT7YXzgcBI1ZR4DWdHY6GF61JhI
Post 1 IP   flag post
Some Dutch guys just started a Theater Tour in Holland playing Everly Music.. Here are some pictures.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Bert just watched this. Thank you so much for posting -loved it going to watch again. Oh so many thanks. Xxxx
Post 3 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I just listened to them Bert they are quite good. They have a presence on stage that made their performance even better. No one can replace Phil and Don but to keep their music alive and do it as good as they can will help another generation to enjoy their music and take an interest in everything Everly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jpodpe private msg quote post Address this user
I Don't know how I feel about other musicians using the Everly Brothers music and talent to make money. There seems to be a lot of these tribute bands now.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I can understand that point of view too Jpodpe. I look at it from the point if no one did tribute acts such as Beatles, ABBA etc after the originals are not making new music then somehow we have to find a way to pass along these great artists and their great music. The radio stations play at most 6 to 8 of the Everly Brothers hits no one would know how vast their music is if it was not promoted in other ways. So long as the Everly Brothers get recognition for the work that these tribute acts do I think it may be the only way of passing on the Everly Brothers legacy. I notice that the vehicle these guys use has big pictures of the Everly Brothers on it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I think it just great that there are bands these days that play the music from the fifties and sixties,etc just to keep that music alive. And I think we Everly Fans are lucky that several duo's play their music and keep that music alive. Music is a livin' thing and should be passed on and that's what happens with especial Everly music these days. In Holland we have at least two bands that play Everly music,the other band has also "road show" and they play Everly and Buddy Holly music (!) and that's how people who never ever have heard of Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly get to know their music and probably going to buy more of their music. I have never seen or heard bands who play music from Ricky Nelson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino,etc etc and I fear that their music slowly is dying. "Back On Track' our band is only playing "oldies" and we get so many super reactions,especially from American Tourists here on Bonaire.(our island in the sun). One lady from LA told me after our last gig on the beach: It is just unbelievable that we have to come to Bonaire to see all these songs played live by a band. Never seen that before.Thank you guys,we all enjoyed it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I guess I see your point--I never hear of these bands playing in the Los Angeles area. I'll have to check it out if they ever do.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jpodpe I went to see the musical Walk Right Back a few months ago several on this Forum did too. They were actual brothers too. It was the story of the Everly Brothers life and it was done very well. Someone told me they may be touring with it again in 2019, something to look out for.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I will -Thanks !
Post 10 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Recently I had been listening to the BBC program Perfect Harmony (3.23.14) clickable text and somewhere around 46.38, Rick Wakeman has a valuable comment, broadly saying that the music of the EB will last as long as pop music itself.
"The music will last long after the Everly Brothers. When you play Everly Brothers music to someone, they wouldn't say 'oh, can I see a picture of them?'...What they looked like...is totally immaterial. They wrote great songs. Their songs are the legacy - it's not them themselves, it's what they created."
As much as we purists want to see them performing their stuff, there is much more to the whole thing. if the music is to survive, others have to play it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
they don't play Roy Orbison jean Pitney del Shannon there music is lost to
peter
Post 12 IP   flag post
Carole_Jeannie private msg quote post Address this user
Here in Perth we have a community radio station, Curtinfm, run by volunteers & they only play music from the 50s to the 90s. Every Sunday morning Alan Manning has his prog 'From the Vault' & the music that he plays is incredible. He often has a Phil & Don record & indeed Cuddles, Gene Pitney, Del Shannon & Roy Orbison too! Try & stream online, Sun mornings 9-12noon. Just as a matter of interest, our ex (because he finished his term of office) Police Commissioner, Karl O'Callaghan, does a stint on a weekday evening as well - I doubt that would happen anywhere else in the world!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Here in the Caribbean we don't hear any music from 50's and 60's at all. People never heard of Everly's Buddy, Ricky, Fats, Chuck etc. Elvis, Beatles,ring a(small)bell , Stones somewhat more,'cause they still are touring and sometimes you hear a song on the radio. They have their own music, Salsa, Bachatta, Marengue etc with also BIG stars, selling millions of records in the past and now, we never heard of. Two complete different worlds.
Post 14 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
All excellent points. I think that for many of us here, this was a large part of our teen life growing up...we all talk about the Summer of 1957, the High School years of The EB, Buddy, Chuck, Del, Duane, The Drifters, and all the others, even the one hit instrumentals are part of our soul......and back to Don & Phil....that harmony sound is ETERNAL....ETHEREAL....it will never die....and a testament to that is groups like Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and many, many, more who all say "We all learned from and tried so much to be like Don & Phil, The Everly Brothers. Like you say, Bert, let the whole world copy them....it strikes a chord all over....no, none of them will quite compare to MY Steel Pier, Valley Forge Music Fair, Philadelphia days when I saw them and....gadzooks!!...met and talked with them,forever how short a time it was....and here I am still talking about it almost 60 years later! I only bought one Elvis record, no Beatles, and a couple of early Stones records in my life, but everything by The EB and others from 1957 through the '60's. To each his own. Our whole life was WIBG radio station and American Bandstand. 24/7. Those were the days, indeed. Rock on,'cause ya only rock once.
Post 15 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi carol i will try and stream it thanks
peter
Post 16 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Bert for posting and for everyone’s valued comment. Good excuse for getting over to Holland to see this tribute act. That would be very nice
Incidentally Tony Blackburn played Problems on his Friday night show BBC Radio 2 mike Sweeney played So Sad on radio Manchester yesterday
Good that they were featured but as someone already said there are so many fabulous recordings it would be fantastic if some of these were played xx❤️❤️
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ever1yfan private msg quote post Address this user
Chris, they are touring again, I think it's April and May, I've booked to see them in May 2019
Post 18 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Bert, with regard to your comment that you have never heard of, or seen a tribute band for Ricky Nelson...his twin sons Matthew and Gunnar formed a band quite some years ago named “Nelson” and they tour regularly they have a poster at the back of the stage (sometimes) which declares “a tribute to the music of Ricky Nelson”.
I have never seen them live but have watched on you tube and although they are blonde haired and don’t much resemble their father in looks, their voices resemble his voice greatly. there is a “you tube” clip of them playing guitar with James Burton, who played in Ricky’s band and was a great friend of his.
Thank you for your post and keep well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Never knew that Roxy, thanks for letting me know. I always loved his music and we still have "Hello Mary Lou" on our playlist.
Post 20 IP   flag post
To honor all our hero's from the fifties I made "the Rock'n'Roll Wall of Fame" on a big stage where we weekly rehearsed with our band, where we played a lot and many bands from other islands were invited to play on Music Festivals.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I used 5 panels and real vinyl LP's , here is a close-up of the panel with the Everly Brothers on a Golden LP.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The making of the middle panel:

Post 23 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Bert -

Very nice! Looks like you put a lot of time, thought and love into it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Making the guitars:

Post 25 IP   flag post
As you can see it was an open stage, which is normally no problem on a Caribbean island, but when you're hit by a Tropical Storm.....that is something else. Roof was blowing off and the walls were completely destroyed. Never restored it, because the place was sold and the new owners,a young couple,didn't like R'n'R. It took me quit some time to build it Redhead, but I loved doing it. I remember bringing in all the LP's after a trip to Holland...the custom guy here on the airport asked me to open that heavy box, he looked at me and asked: What is this ?? he had NEVER seen an LP !!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Bert -

The customs guy didn't know what LPs were? Thanks for reminding me how old I am!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Hahaha ,That's a good one Redhead. Rehearsal time for the opening night ( with some extra guys)

Post 28 IP   flag post
Bert what a fabulous effort you made for the stage to look as good as this. I take my hat off to you what a brilliant idea it was and the end result is just awesome. This is stunning and thank you so much for sharing this on here. 💕
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thanks Chris, I did it all alone, didn't want anybody around me. I had the idea on 5 big pieces of paper, so I knew what to do and for Redhead I've got good news ... it was exact 10 year ago when I brought the LP's to the island....you hardly can say that you were old...this guy was pretty young, wasn't even born in the LP era.
Post 30 IP   flag post
54168 36 30
destitute