The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Duane Eddy on Radio 2 talks about Phil & Don7903

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished listening to this interview on BBC Radio 2, it is a good interview because the DJ Johnnie Walker asks good questions and knows a lot about Duane Eddy. Very enjoyable.

Duane comes on at the 1 hour 15 minutes mark

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000r17
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
A very big thank you Chris; I would never have heard this program without your prompt
Post 2 IP   flag post
I have to thank my husband I was preparing dinner and listening to The Definitive Everly Brothers but in the lounge my husband was listening to BBC radio 2 he came in so quickly telling me to put the radio on. I didn't miss a thing thanks to him.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
1.33 for Everly reference. Thanks Chris!
Hadn't heard the comment by EB that if either had had a hit during the separation they might not have reunited. Good thought.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I will listen to this shortly, thank you Chris. Johnnie Walker is an excellent presenter and very knowledgable. I remember Duane being very upset when Phil passed away.

I just listened to the segment about Phil. I have to say I now have a big lump in my throat. ‘Our Song’ by Phil is one of my favourites and I was interested to hear Duane say Phil had written it with his brother in mind, saying the last two lines are a dead giveaway. I always learn something new when I come on here.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I listen to that interview often Jane and Duane was very upset at Phils passing. They had been friends since very young.
The time of the interview...... For no known reason it was jumping as I was trying to get the time Duane was talking to Johnnie Walker. I enjoyed it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
There are tickets left to see Duane in Manchester with Albert Lee and Amelda May.........I just booked 2, but hurry if you want to go, not too many left.
Post 7 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Well, you really did it this time, Chris. Great BBC Radio 2 - Duane Eddy...segment...it took me back with a searing, clear, memory of getting a ride to school with some of the neighborhood guys and the one guy had an old, kind of beat-up, but still a stick shift, "Hot Rod" 1950 Rust....keyword here is rust Red Ford coupe. We went over the Red Arrow trolley track bridge, up the St. Denis church hill, thru Oakmont, left on Darby Road, left on Mill Road and right to Haverford High School and "Rebel Rouser" and "Because They're Young" had played on WIBG radio station "99 on your AM Radio Dial! Listen There, or Be Square!" The instrumentals from 1956 to 1962 were emblazoned on my memory. They caught the spirit of the times....I believe the word in German is...Zeitgeist. Duane Eddy with that guitar, The Everly Brothers, 'Chuck' Berry, 'Buddy' Holly, Paul Anka.........almost too much for the emotions. So, those two guitar sound-melodies were going through my head all day long in school, the hallways, gym class, algebra class, and all the pretty girls.......thank goodness for those pretty girls. Made the three years of High School bearable. Sigh...........
Post 8 IP   flag post
I was pleasantly surprised when a caller asked a question on this interview and she got them wrong said Duane and he correctly put 2 sets of people into the correct concert. Still a good memory and he is on his 80th birthday tour.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris a memorable interview and great music.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Sure happy I took the time to sit down and listen to this fine interview. I do love Duane Eddy’s music, and what a gentleman and Everly friend. Thank you for posting this interesting interview Chris.
My husband and I talked to a very nice young college student working in a grocery store in the Houston area last Sunday and he was homesick for his home and family in the Franklin Tennessee area. Thought of the student when Duane mentioned where he lived.
Post 11 IP   flag post
As a family in the 1950's we bought a lot of Duane Eddy singles. He was a well respected guitar player and he still is at 80 years old. He has 3 tour dates in the UK October 23,28,30 we got tickets for the 30th October.
Ticket details: axs.com
Post 12 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Couldn't listen without signing into something! I never do that as I am just not sure what I am signing up to! A pity as it sounded like an interesting interview! Duane eddy is still on the move by the way and still playing! Coming to the UK to perform soon! Isn't that just great?
Post 13 IP   flag post
DeeDee it is the BBC and a few months ago they wanted people listening to their recorded things to sign in with their email and then a password. I have to sign in to bring it here, once you have your password for the BBC it is no different to anything else where you have to sign in. You will be fine. It is a very good interview and yes I have my tickets to see him 30th October and he is appearing with Albert Lee. Just 3 dates in the UK see my earlier comment about the dates and ticket details.

I can hardly wait.
Post 14 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Still can't listen to the interview Does anyone know how to listen without having to join something first? It sounds like it is so poignant and interesting!
Post 15 IP   flag post
54171 15 15
destitute