The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Central City October 20187901

Sharon private msg quote post Address this user
These are from the museum, and Central City in general. I took a lot of pictures, I will sort those into other threads. Put 1500 miles on the Jeep in 3 days!

Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Sharon, your pictures bring back many, many memories; some very happy and some very sad. I love Central City and its people. Such a friendly place, which I hope to get back to next year.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It is a special place, an emotional roller coaster for sure.
Post 3 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi Sharon thanks for the pictures they are great
peter
Post 4 IP   flag post
I even got my own memorial!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I still never quite understand why the CC museum includes Merle Travis, when there is the Merle Travis Centre only a few mile away, just off Everly Boulevard.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is fantastic that you have your own replica monument Sharon I am in awe of it. It is a total jaw dropping thing to have, please let us know when you have it in situ rather than sleeping with it!! Lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's too pointy to sleep with! I am having to rearrange my bookshelf tho..
Post 8 IP   flag post
The old museum contained some other pieces from other stars so does the new museum contain them all again or just the Merle Travis stuff?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Chris, The new museum building is next to the old building and has a lot more room. The museum (I think) always celebrated all the local musicians but it moved more towards the Everlys when Carmel Rich took it over.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Merle Travis Center is a performing arts venue, so the museum still has his display, along with John Prine, Mose Rager etc.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sharon, now that makes sense!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I understand that the other museum building is now the police station. So all the memorabilia should be really safe in the new museum.
Post 13 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
My Goodness!! Thank you, so much, Sharon. What a wealth of Everlyana. Love it. I simply have to get down to that area one of these days.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely fabulous pictures, thank you so much for posting them for us Sharon. I do long to visit that place.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Sharon for all the wonderful photos. They are amazing xx❤️❤️
Post 16 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
It sounds like Central City is the place to visit but I am somewhat confused by the various comments Is the Everly Museum open or closed or merged into a Merle Travis one?? Surely Phil and Don should have their own dedicated museum? They are the foundation members of Country Rock and the major influence to almost everyone who made it in the 60's 70's and beyond! Also is the small eary Everly home sited in Central City? I would appreciate some clarification re my questions here! Thanks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
The small home is in Shenandoah in Iowa DeeDee which is a few states away from Central City where they had the Homecoming concerts after the first one which was held in Shenandoah. Some of the other big artists from Kentucky and Nashville do feature in the same museum along with The Everly Brothers but not with the same amount of memorabilia.
Post 18 IP   flag post
hi DeeDee i am the same as you they should have there own
peter
Post 19 IP   flag post
Carole_Jeannie private msg quote post Address this user
Wonderful pics Sharon - to those of us who can never go there it is great that you can share with us. I don't often contribute, but I always read & enjoy every entry on these pages. Cuddles/Peter, I see you are an Aussie too & have been to the Museum, or did I misunderstand? Where in Oz are you?
Carole
Post 20 IP   flag post
hi Carole i live in Melbourne Australia Werribee i have not been to the museum i think you misunderstood me i would like to go one day i would like to see the eb park when it is done
peter
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hi Pete, I'm in Perth now, but basically grew up in Melbourne (we were ten pound poms & I was 12 on arrival). Stan Rofe was a great friend of mine & I used to badger him no end to play Everly tracks!! One day I would love to go to the US again. In 1990 en route to UK I visited San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Nashville & New York. Fabulous time. Went to the Ryman - stood on the stage & had my photo taken (goodness knows where that is now), also to the Grand Old Opry saw Skeeta Davis. What a holiday that was!! Ah, the good old days.
Carole
Post 22 IP   flag post
For those who didn't know - the great majority methinks! I should explain that Stan Rofe was the most renowned & popular DJ in Melbourne in the 60's/70's. A wonderful man. He is pictured with Phil & Don in one of the photos that come up across this page now & again.
Carole
Post 23 IP   flag post
hi Carole it sounds like you had a great time where in Melbourne did you live i am going over to see the eb park when it is done i hope it is not to long i would like to spend 10 days over there
go the eagles great win i went for them
peter
Post 24 IP   flag post
hi Carole would you like to go when the eb park is done
peter
Post 25 IP   flag post
Hi Pete. We lived in lots of places, but longest in Murrumbeena & Mentone. My parents & brother stayed for 16yrs, then went back to UK, whereas I stayed here with my first, now ex-husband. I did go back some years later & having very happily remarried, came back to Perth 15yrs ago. My second hubby is a muso - plays left-handed lead guitar & sings. I used to go to all his gigs - a real roadie! Had a night off one evening & instead popped over to Wilbarston (from Corby)& saw the wonderful Albert Lee with Pete Wingfield on keyboard with the band. Mike Berry was on too that night. These are the sort of gigs I miss over here. I missed Albert here in Perth recently - no advertising whatsoever here in the West, had no idea he was in Australia!
Sorry, guys, I'm going on a bit, but it's hard to stop when you get into the flow of things. I doubt if I'll make it to the US & the EB park, more's the pity. Oh yes, & I'm a an avid Richmond supporter Pete, but hubby is an Eagle!
Carole
Post 26 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Great photos Sharon, and a number of new ones to me. Admire how you go off on your Everly adventures and share with other fans too. It is quite a drive from your home to Central City in your trusty Jeep.
Interesting photos and comments. Am I correct in assuming the Christmas photo with “party dog” is one of Phil’s yearly Christmas greetings that I have read about?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Can you imagine waiting each year to see what Phil is going to do for his next Christmas card? He loved playing the fool if he got the laughs 😂🤣😁
Post 28 IP   flag post
Yes, it's signed inside, love how the dog gets included.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
That's Phil? It looks like Don with the dark, curly hair in that Santa hat and beard with the dog.
Post 30 IP   flag post
54168 56 30
destitute