The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

All I Have To Do Is Dream7899

Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user

A year ago today my dear friend of 64 years, Jean, passed away. I think about all the good times we shared every day and whenever I hear this lovely song I remember a day in April 1958 when we heard this for the first time. One of us had bought the record, I forget who, and we were playing it on our other friend Lynda’s Dansette record player. Jean was convinced they were singing her name, bless her, and we had to play it a few times before she was convinced they weren’t. We were both 14 years old then - where do the years go?

This isn’t the best video but I wanted the original recording. Apparently it was recorded on March 6th 1958 and only took two takes.
Post 1 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, Jane. What a wonderful post and story. I, too, was 14 years old and many artists / publishers released things in the Springtime and Summertime, as that is the time of teenage love, etc., etc. The guitar on this masterpiece is done by none other that Chet Atkins, who else! "Dream" soared up the charts, ALL the charts, Billboard 100, Billboard Top Ten, Country, Disc Jockeys played it constantly, stayed on for over a month here in the U.S. and ~ two months on the U.K. charts. Boudleaux Bryant, the master songwriter, did well financially on this one and the 'B' side of Claudette which was written by Roy Orbison about his first wife was a hit, also, for Don & Phil as well as for Roy himself and for that reason he switched over from Sun Records to Acuff-Rose Publishers.

Late '50's, those were the days, INDEED!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Dear memories Jane, what a blessing we have such music to bring them all back for us.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Timeless and sublime.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
I guess your friend thought they were singing Jean, Jean, Jean instead of dream, dream, dream. What fun - I was just 11 nearly 12 when it came out. On Bird Dog my sister and I use to sing Paper Dog, get away from my chick Paper Dog you got to get away quick. I guess our record players weren't too good back then. Was actually shocked that it was hey bird dog. My son aged about 8 heard Don's Sheik of Araby, Richard heard him singing - I'm a sheep - a bird - a bee -
your heart belongs to me! Sheena did tell Don - not sure he thought it was as funny as we did!

Lovely memories though and you have good thoughts of her and she lives on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
@Jane43 what a beautiful way to remember your old and dear friend! You story is so touching🤗 Your loving memories keep your friend alive.

@Kathyc ah, the OLD days, before the Internet, when we had to listen over and over again to try and make out the lyrics to our favorite songs! I’m sure we all sang the wrong words many times over. Our lyrics were much funnier, weren’t they, especially your son’s. I can’t imagine that Don wouldn’t have had a chuckle over that, I know I did.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc -

For some reason I love Don's version of The Sheik of Araby, and your son's interpretation is hilarious.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
When very young, I think we really do hear words in songs differently! As I got a little older I had to say to myself.....”Now think! This word has to rhyme with the end of the other line. So how can it be the word your singing? Apart from it not making quite so much sense”

A nice memory you have Jane, of your friend. Jean and Jane sound two good names for two good friends!

I like Ben's words to the ‘Sheik of Araby’ Kathy! Ha! Ha!Ha! xxxxx
Post 8 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for posting Jane. A lovely memory Although we may no longer see our loved ones they are always in our hearts and memories xx❤️❤️
Post 9 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyc
I guess your friend thought they were singing Jean, Jean, Jean instead of dream, dream, dream. What fun - I was just 11 nearly 12 when it came out. On Bird Dog my sister and I use to sing Paper Dog, get away from my chick Paper Dog you got to get away quick. I guess our record players weren't too good back then. Was actually shocked that it was hey bird dog. My son aged about 8 heard Don's Sheik of Araby, Richard heard him singing - I'm a sheep - a bird - a bee -
your heart belongs to me! Sheena did tell Don - not sure he thought it was as funny as we did!

Lovely memories though and you have good thoughts of her and she lives on.

Yes Kathy, that’s what she thought. I don’t think she had thought about the song title, just hearing the opening line she was so excited to hear what she thought was her name being sung so beautifully. When Poor Jenny came out my Dad used to sing ‘Poor Janey’ to me. No super-duper sound systems in those days but the music was so exciting to us because we had never heard anything like it before.
Post 10 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
It took me over a year to understand the words to "Stagger Lee' by Lloyd Price.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Must admit I was quite excited to learn that there was a real EB song with my name in it - 'Whatever happened to Judy?'. Suppose it was a bit sad, but I enjoyed it anyway. I'm sure some of my friends have asked the question, too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
My son when a little boy, used to go about the house singing -
“I’m a Nine Stone Cowboy”.😀
Post 13 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Now whenever I hear dear departed Glenn Campbell sing it, I will be hearing "I'm a nine stone cowboy" Wonderful stuff!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
The song 'Gone gone gone. I always thought the line was' Don's moved on.' Of course he did many times!!! Lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
54378 15 15
destitute