The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Peggy Sue has died at the age of 78.

I put this quote from her book in a thread a while back but it has been archived. It is about her first encounter with Phil:

“Oh my! He had to be the prettiest young man I’d ever seen. As he stood to greet us, I noticed that his dress pants and jacket were so exquisitely tailored that he looked like he’d just stepped out of a bandbox. He had a very slender build, and when he shook my hand, I noticed that his hands were also long and slender. He had dreamy eyes and long eyelashes, and when he talked, his eyes opened wide as if he was using them to take in everything. He had a million dollar smile, and his teeth were white as snow.
I think the thing I loved the most about Phil Everly was his hair. It was dark blonde, windblown in the front, but extremely coiffed. His haircut was so smooth I couldn’t see a cutline anywhere on his head. I also noticed his abundance of charm, which directly resulted from his Kentucky drawl–he almost sounded like he was singing when he talked." -Peggy Sue Gerron
Post 1 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
"I thought, if Don Everly’s speaking voice sounds the same as his low harmony, I bet even their personal conversations sound musical."
Post 2 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
When a friend told me Peggy Sue had passed away I did feel a sadness. Knowing the story and having the vinyl when it was released and the follow up single "Peggy Sue Got Married" is the history of Peggy Sue. Thanks for posting it here Jane.
Every time I read what she said about Phil I just know she was spot on❤❤
Post 3 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane. Don’t remember seeing that article before she was a very astute lady may she rest in peace. Hopefully she will be meeting up with Phil again xx❤️❤️
Post 4 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
So, there it was....a typical very warm, humid, early evening in Philadelphia and here comes Don & Phil walking down the back stage area walkway, right towards me. I gasped....Don saw me standing there by myself, holding some of their EP's and LP's,a magic marker in hand and he smiled and said...."Ahh.h.., the pompadour days!" Phil came up and I don't remember how the topic came up about older, classic, cars, but I said something about a 1939 Cord, an Essex Terraplane, etc., and he eyes lit up, Peggy Sue, and he looked at me with those big eyes, Peggy Sue...I said No, but he said, with that Million Dollar Smile, Peggy Sue, how much he liked older cars, etc. in that thick as cream, soft, Kentucky drawal, Peggy Sue.....and then their....magic...their "something" hit me and my voice got weak and I could just about speak....the three of us standing there....my heroes....never did I think this would ever take place..... I was re-living my teen years....their hair was different a la the 1970's of course, and then I was there as they waited in the wing....the side of the stage....the curtain....and then we heard the announcer start the introduction.....and I raced around to the front entrance, breathless, I sat in the one aisle seat left and just listened, stunned. So, Peggy Sue,....darn those Everly Brothers, darn your husband, 'Buddy'....don't they know what they do to people like me when I'm there with them by some one in a million happenstance event?!? Guess that's what Beatlemania was like. Fans fainting all over the place, lots of ambulances waiting outside the Philadelphia Convention Hall in the summer of 1965.

Don, Phil, "Buddy," you guys are the best.....period!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to read of Peggy Sue’s passing. I am of that age where it is sadly becoming an all too common everyday occurrence to hear both the famous and our friends and acquaintances have passed.
On a lighter note Craig I enjoy reading your comments. I feel like I was there on a very warm, humid, early evening in Philadelphia.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb
Thank you Jane. Don’t remember seeing that article before she was a very astute lady may she rest in peace. Hopefully she will be meeting up with Phil again xx❤️❤️

It’s from her book Joy, ‘Whatever Happened To Peggy Sue’ -it’s a good read. I love the autobiographies and biographies of stars from the Rock and Roll era. I have several on the bookshelf waiting to be read - Jerry Lee Lewis, Bobby Rydell, Elvis in two volumes and I have Albert Lee on my Kindle. I have read Eddie Cochran, Marc Almond, Graham Nash, Sharon Sheeley, Don Felder Of The Eagles and of course Walk Right Back, Ladies Love Outlaws and Ike’s Boys about our lovely brothers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglhope
So, there it was....a typical very warm, humid, early evening in Philadelphia and here comes Don & Phil walking down the back stage area walkway, right towards me. I gasped....Don saw me standing there by myself, holding some of their EP's and LP's,a magic marker in hand and he smiled and said...."Ahh.h.., the pompadour days!" Phil came up and I don't remember how the topic came up about older, classic, cars, but I said something about a 1939 Cord, an Essex Terraplane, etc., and he eyes lit up, Peggy Sue, and he looked at me with those big eyes, Peggy Sue...I said No, but he said, with that Million Dollar Smile, Peggy Sue, how much he liked older cars, etc. in that thick as cream, soft, Kentucky drawal, Peggy Sue.....and then their....magic...their "something" hit me and my voice got weak and I could just about speak....the three of us standing there....my heroes....never did I think this would ever take place..... I was re-living my teen years....their hair was different a la the 1970's of course, and then I was there as they waited in the wing....the side of the stage....the curtain....and then we heard the announcer start the introduction.....and I raced around to the front entrance, breathless, I sat in the one aisle seat left and just listened, stunned. So, Peggy Sue,....darn those Everly Brothers, darn your husband, 'Buddy'....don't they know what they do to people like me when I'm there with them by some one in a million happenstance event?!? Guess that's what Beatlemania was like. Fans fainting all over the place, lots of ambulances waiting outside the Philadelphia Convention Hall in the summer of 1965.

Don, Phil, "Buddy," you guys are the best.....period!

What an amazing memory Craig.
Post 8 IP   flag post
One of my pleasures of this forum is reading Craig's comments. He can paint the picture so well you see things through his comments. Great memories you have Craig❤
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you for the kind, but undeserved words. I made a mistake in saying Buddy Holly was Peggy Sue's husband. She was not his wife, but sure was a girl-friend in the earlier days.

Yes, I have a few great memories, but many of you have much more interaction and had contact with Don & Phil....the total for me was just a few moments, but they were like next door neighbors. Like I was going to High School, or something with them. Phil, myself (ha!), other guys in someone's garage somewhere, leaning over the front fenders and grille,all of our heads looking down into the engine....guess it's kind of a 'guy thing'...talk about how great those memories would be, if they had happened. Teenage boys and cars seem to be magnets together somehow, or at least they used to be. Not sure of the younger people today. They're kind of strange with their smart phones skin-grafted onto their hands. Got me. Then again my parents cringed when Elvis would be on television. They wondered what the world and "this young generation" is coming to. They were scared Marlon Brando and his motorcycle gang would roar into our small neighborhood and take over. And, James Dean was not liked as a role model either by parents. "You should want to grow up and be President Dwight D. Eisenhower, or Vice-President Richard M. Nixon." Yeah, Richard Nixon, right dad! Nixon! oy veh, cut me a break! Around 15 years later he lied his head off on National TV. Whatever.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Craig I would love to post 2 photos but one is hiding at the moment of an older Phil checking over the engine, but this one came to mind of both brothers.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Wow, Chris, this is super!! And there's that Oldsmobile that really could roar down the highway. Looks like Phil is next to an MG (?) I sure stand to be corrected on that, but I do know that the had an Austin-Healey 3000 sports car early on. Elvis used to give all of his friends brand new Cadillacs!
Post 12 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Chris, I think this is it, Phil working on his old truck.

Post 13 IP   flag post
You fans are too much!!! Look at these photos.......! Very cool.
Post 14 IP   flag post
That's the one Bobby, thanks, I will save it under cars now, the other may be saved under Phil...then.....?

Phil did love to tinker with cars and he loved to talk to others about it too, just like Craig describes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Phil in his 1970 restored Packard

Post 16 IP   flag post
Wowzers, Chris....I can't get over these pixs. That old Packard was restored in 1970...?....it's from the 1930's...and the bottom pix looks like an old Jaguar that the boys are standing-kneeling in...they don't look too happy...as the car probably needs a lot of restoration work. I think Don might have given Phil his original 1960 Cadillac back in new condition for a birthday present and there might, also, be a Corvette still in Phil's family. Boy, would I have loved to have talked with Phil about automobiles!
Post 17 IP   flag post
When we used to go to Orlando there was a place called Old Town and each Saturday night owners of old cars meet, park up and drive around in their prized possessions. They are happy to talk to you if you stop and look at their cars. They lift up the bonnets/hoods and show of the engines which are gleaming. We used to love going down and spending the evening being envious of those lovely cars.

My husband’s cousin in Canada restores old cars as a hobby. He has a huge barn in his garden and it is filled with the most beautiful old cars you ever saw. One is a white convertible with red leather seats, it is absolutely stunning. It is a while since we visited but I would love to see them again and see what he has added to his collection.
Post 18 IP   flag post
This may be of interest Craig:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64Mg5SrjvS4
Post 19 IP   flag post
Excellent! Thank you so much!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Each year we go for a weeks holiday in Poole, Dorset it is a fantastic place to go for a holiday. It has the 2nd largest natural harbour in the world only beaten by Sydney Harbour, Australia.

Each Tuesday night in Poole along the marina's road are hundreds of motorbikes, it is quite a spectacle and is organised by council and police.

Once in August each year they have American night, in 2016 it was an excellent night with not only cars and vans but big trucks, we took loads of photos but I just now on youtube see that it was video'd with all the vehicles coming in on the road by the marina.

I hope you enjoy this Craig and whilst watching you can see at the right hand side a bike night to view.

Bike Night, bikes on around 1:30 minutes
Post 21 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
I showed the photos of the cars to my husband Craig. He said the one Phil is next to is an MG A. The one they are looking out of the sunroof he thinks is a Jaguar looking at the shape of the back window. Xx❤️❤️
Post 22 IP   flag post
Ditto what my husband said Joy😊
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thanks, Joy & Chris, we're all agreed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Did you enjoy the American night link Craig?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Yes, I did! very unique and entertaining. Love it. Thanks.
Post 26 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
What an interesting post! Firstly sad news of Peggy Sue She has spoken interestingly in several recent documentaries about the early days of Rock 'n Roll etc! The chat about the cars Phil owned and how much he enjoyed them was interesting too! There is a video of one of their songs online where the boys choose and haul away an old car from a dump site and then work on it to be shown at the end of the video driving along in a beautiful fully restored early model Cadillac I think? Great stuff!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
What an interesting post! Firstly sad news of Peggy Sue She has spoken interestingly in several recent documentaries about the early days of Rock 'n Roll etc! The chat about the cars Phil owned and how much he enjoyed them was interesting too! There is a video of one of their songs online where the boys choose and haul away an old car from a dump site and then work on it to be shown at the end of the video driving along in a beautiful fully restored early model Cadillac I think? Great stuff!

Yes Dee Dee it’s ‘On The Wings Of A Nightingale’, a great video I’ve always loved.

I agree with you that it’s interesting the way some threads branch out into other things. It’s one of the things I love about this forum.
Post 28 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane43
Yes Dee Dee it’s ‘On The Wings Of A Nightingale’, a great video I’ve always loved.

I found this on the internet, it's a still picture from the ‘On The Wings Of A Nightingale’ video. Typically Phil is checking under the hood.

The owner of the pic lovingly decorated just this with the lettering “Everly Brothers” as if the first thing coming to mind about the brothers would be “well, they loved tinkering with cars”. Makes me smile.

Post 29 IP   flag post
A good still from the video Bobby. Phil was the car fanatic he loved to get under the hood of a car.
The clip from the David Frost show is such a good one where Phil talks about cars. It was also so funny too, Phil really did not mind taking the 'Mick' out of himself.
Great photo Bobby😊
Post 30 IP   flag post
54363 30 30
destitute