The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Relocating the Everly childhood home , Shenandoah 20067871

Sharon private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
My Goodness. Wow. Thanks, Sharon. Small home (not just a house) in Iowa. But, the magical Everly harmony brought the Everly's fame & fortune. Like love, life is strange.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
An amazing project. Thank you for sharing the photos Sharon xxx❤️❤️
Post 3 IP   flag post
I am amazed that the house held up during the move.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I'm amazed how well that little house travelled to its new site too. I wonder if there was some sort of rope etc tied around its whole to keep it together whilst travelling.

They have done such a great job at getting it into the condition it is now. Bill Hillman deserves lots of recognition for all his hard work and the Depot too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
A determined group of people successfully moving the little Everly house. Must have brought back a lot of memories for Don and Phil when they visited it. A part of Everly history.
Post 6 IP   flag post
(Posted 8th September)Today, the interior of the Everly Brothers Childhood Home was photographed by drone! We're grateful to pilot Corey Epyk Whitehill of Epyk Adventures for working so safely and effortlessly within this precious, historic space. It takes on a new kind of beauty from above!

From above taken by the architect.

Post 7 IP   flag post
What an honor it was for us to receive a visit from the beloved Scottish actress and musician Barbara Dickson! Dickson shared her July 10th photo at the Everly Brothers Childhood Home on Twitter with the caption: "So thrilled to visit the Everly Brothers Museum at Shenandoah, Iowa today. I felt close to my early heroes!" She grew up listening to Don and Phil's music, attended their 1983 reunion concert.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Just shown a friend those photos Sharon posted and she said she thought it was a shed not a house! It really was a small home which they all shared. No doubt many happy memories for all the family.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing photos. It was a miracle the little house didn’t fall apart when it was lifted. Wonderful that it has been preserved for all their fans to visit. We will have to organize a coach trip for the UK members!😀😀
Post 10 IP   flag post
There is a very popular popular tiny house movement, and many of the homes are the same size, and many with less sq.feet. Amazing how much can fit in compact houses.
Post 11 IP   flag post
My house is small, but that house could fit in my living room. I love the shot from inside, it really gives an idea of just how little it is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Barbara Dickson is such a great Everly fan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Remember Phil saying, he and Don slept on a fold up couch. One brothers head and feet at one end and the other brother's head and feet at the other! Bless ‘em, not ideal! xxx
Post 14 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing photos. Thank you for sharing them.
I'm surprised the small house stood up to the journey.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not sure if I posted this small video clip previously, it is short but an amazing thing to create to check out everything on the little house.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
They were not only the pioneers of rock but also of the tiny home craze!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I also believe that Don pioneered 'Facebook"...look at the lyrics to Born Yesterday...."they chew your name and then they write it on a wall"
Post 18 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Gosh a tiny home indeed but it was bursting with talent in the boys and their parents! I am sure it was a happy and secure place and you can live in a mansion and not have that! Thanks so much for this amazing post Sharon!! I assume that the house was transported to the Everly Brothers museum site? Where was it originally? So interesting too to read about Barbara Dickson and to know that she is a big Everly fan too! Lucky lady to have been at the wonderful reunion concert!
Post 19 IP   flag post
The home was originally located a few blocks southwest of its present location , at 803 6th Street.(red pin on the map) The Everly family would be able to see the "Jay House", the fancy home down the street that is shown on the back of the Roots album, and where Phil and Don posed again when they returned for the homecoming concert. That house is on the corner of 6th Ave and Elm, by the park.
Bill Hillman told me that the house was hauled to a lot behind The Depot, where it sat for quite some time before restoration was started.

Post 20 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
I've stumbled across the website/blog of Rebecca J. Miller who visited Shenandoah some years ago and posted interesting details about the house:

Fans familiar with photos from the EB Shenandoah homecoming will remember a photo of Don and Phil standing in front of a green-shingled house identified as their home in Shenandoah. The green-shingled house had two rooms because someone put an addition on it long after the Everlys moved out. However, when the house was restored, it was restored to the size it was when the Everly family lived in it and to white wooden siding rather than the green shingles.

The little house was constructed as a motorway tourist cabin. In the United States, the forerunner of the motel was a property with a central “lodge” and anywhere from four to a dozen little cabin units. The cabins were a step up from camping out in a tent, but not a big step up. These shelters did not have plumbing, and few had heat. The lodges served as registration areas and usually had vending machines, a pay phone, and sometimes facilities for taking showers. The customers were mostly families taking summer vacations.

After World War II ended, better facilities were constructed to attract travelers, and few of the cabin courts survived into the Fifties. A local entrepreneur in Shenandoah bought some of these cabins, moved them into town, and rented them as housing to families as poor as the Everlys. By most accounts, the Everlys first moved into a trailer on someone’s farm property, but Iowa winters are brutal, and it made better sense to live in Shen itself.

I had called the historical society to check the hours the house could be viewed, and the woman who answered wanted to make certain that I understood that the house was only one room. “The family was very poor,” she said. The house is no bigger than a bedroom in an average working-class American home. There is no bathroom, so there must have been an outhouse (an outdoor toilet), and there was probably a well in the backyard. The house might have had a woodburning stove with an attached tank that kept hot water available.
The man who restored the house explained that Phil had described to him a sort of canvas sink that folded out from the back wall. That was how the family bathed. How they slept or stored things, it is hard to imagine, but then, they didn’t own much. There was one bed in the house, a twin bed, that definitely belonged to the family. It still has the original delivery label pasted on a slat underneath, with Ike’s name and address on it. The wooden headboard has a carved Conestoga Wagon on it. I wondered if the brothers, who slept head to foot in the same bed, argued over who got to be closest to the Old West scene.
Post 21 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Sharon and Bobbi....this information is AMAZING!! Wow, small isn't the word and it says a lot about the 1940's and 1950's down there. We have to be thankful for whatever we have, heat, indoor plumbing, beds.......wow, thanks Ike and Margaret and Don and Phil for living and growing up the way you did.....you are all successes! Don & Phil, you deserve every penny you've ever earned. You've "paid your dues" and the world is grateful to you and we are so much better off because of your music throughout the years. Like love, life is strange, indeed.

In the coal mining communities, it was stark, also, plus the company owned your "house." In New York City, you can't build out, you only can build up, and the latest craze / necessity that I was told about were the Micro-Apartments. A small room, a tiny, tiny bathroom, tiny cooking area, hardly any storage for anything at all...Three and four thousand dollars a month rent and there is a two-year waiting list to even get one! The young lady was telling me that she had a quick lunch, a cheeseburger and a small glass of ginger ale, mostly ice, and it was $20. I asked her if she had a car and she said, "Are you crazy?!? In NYC ?!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Very interesting post Bobbi, thanks for sharing it.
Unfortunately many people living in difficult situations,if they can even afford that much.
Post 23 IP   flag post

These are from earlier visits. They have both headboards at the house now, and the delivery ticket billed to Ike.The address on the shipping label isn't the address of this moved house, I went by that address and it is a newer home so the original is long time gone. The floor is a sort of embossed linoleum, not sure if its original to the house but it sure seems like it.Autographed guitar on the wall, just precious! A elderly lady at the house on Saturday told me that they had a folding leather tub for baths, outside the house. Cant you just see them? Straight out of a bath but still outside!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know how much that house cost back then? I'd be really interested to know.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It is just great to see so many of your photos all together Sharon. You do take such good photos on your phone too. A big pat on the back for bringing them to us.❤
Post 26 IP   flag post
This is in the book "Ladies Love Outlaws"
Post 27 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
The Everly's may well have been a happy family. For mum and dad it must have been a nightmare at times! One room and no running water, just think of it. Four people having to wash, the family's laundry, cooking, the pots to wash. All the water having to be drawn and brought in to heat up before they could even start! Little privacy of any kind.

The winter must have been tough! I hope maybe a relative had an inside bathroom and allowed the family to use the bath in the bitter winter!

No wonder Don and Phil fought each other. Living under each other’s feet must have caused many a fight!

Well done to them all for their determination! xxx
Post 28 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Barbara Dickson was a member of our fan club in the 1960's. I wrote a review of one of their albums before it was released as we use to receive them in advance, think it was Hit Sounds. Barbara wrote in saying how much she enjoyed and agreed with my review. I've liked her ever since!

Remember once over drinks Don saying I grew up with a microphone in my face - Phil quipped in my ear I grew up with his feet in mine. Typical Phil humour we both started laughing - not sure whether everyone else there understood why we were both laughing so.

Must go and visit Shenandoah and Central City.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Shenanigans private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, everyone! My name is Sherry and I work with Bill Hillman as an Historic Preservation Consultant for the Everly Brothers Childhood Home. I'm an admin on the Facebook page. You're all welcome to join the page to share your photos and stories of Shenandoah there. www.facebook.com/everlybrotherschildhoodhome I look forward to seeing you soon!
Post 30 IP   flag post
53621 30 30
destitute