The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
This is the recorded one:

This is the alternate version which is quite different:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
I sometimes bring up the Everly Brothers on an Echo Dot while cooking in the kitchen. I can listen for hours to continuous random Everly songs, each one so well done, each one so individual. They really should have a channel of their own on satellite radio, it would be well received.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Love both versions Chris, they were both very talented and both put a lot into each of their recordings.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
ChrisW, What I love about The first dvd is, we can hear clearly the band playing that gorgeous backing in a minor key behind the Everly's singing! Setting the sadness of the situation! xxxxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
This is one I've never heard before. Thanks for posting it!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Another I'd never heard. More drama in the first, a lighter Everly sound in the second.
Thanks!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I appreciate that they would talk together with musicians too and totally change how they did it before. What is special is that we get to hear the alternate version and it was not wiped. Thank goodness that many of the Everly Brothers 'takes' and 'alternate' versions seem to be saved.
Post 7 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Nice, [both versions] song I am ashamed how many of the posts I have never heard before!1
Post 8 IP   flag post
Don’t be ashamed DeeDee! You just enjoy the new songs! xxx
Post 9 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Fascinating scary "James Bond" chords at song start and "Spanish" sounding + Bryan Highland "Sealed With a Kiss" style chord change [technically, modal interchange, but won't bore you with that, LOL!].

Almost sure they're both remixes of a single basic take, since they're both exactly the same length [will have to listen closer a couple more times just to make sure].

Interesting how what seems to be a high-cut filter [giving an overall muffled sound to the mix and a louder bass drum as a result] gives the "recorded" version a totally different rhythm feel.

Strangely though, the alternate take is much brighter and with some extra post-production instruments...

Thanx Chris!

Post 10 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Ricardo that the first version is rather Brian Hyland “sealed with a kiss” and the second version James Bond. I like both with a preference for the first version and cannot recall ever hearing this song before. Nice post Chris.xx
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ricardo! The phrasing sung in the second video is so different to that of the first! I'm quite sure the two videos are from two different vocal takes! Certainly the backing of course is different!

Interesting. Have another listen! xxxxx
Post 12 IP   flag post
Roxy,

What I think sounds sort of "James Bondy" is the introductory chords in both versions: Em, Em[maj7], Em7, Em6, Em5+; a minor chord with a chromatically descending root at the top of the chord. And what sounds "Bryan Highlandy" to me is a D[maj] to Em change over "though I wonder..." and the ending in a major chord, while all the song has been in a minor key, among some other nuances.

Jean,

Not only different phrasing but different lyrics on Don's solo "Maybe I'm [just] being foolish..."!

Impressed by how closely observant you all can be and how we can all cooperate to better understand [while trying to apprehend] what our musical heroes have created!

Thank you Chris, Roxy, Jean & everybody.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It as been very interesting reading about the differences in these 2 versions, maybe more than I thought with the first listen. I have to admit I keep flitting from one to the other to check on sections of each. What an interesting talking point this as been, thanks to everyone who as contributed so far 👍
Post 14 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Here I'm trying to get some computer work done, and you all made me go back and listen again!
Not such a trial, of course.
Back to work...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyc13
Here I'm trying to get some computer work done, and you all made me go back and listen again!
Not such a trial, of course.
Back to work...

Ditto!

LOL!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAPriori
Roxy,

What I think sounds sort of "James Bondy" is the introductory chords in both versions: Em, Em[maj7], Em7, Em6, Em5+; a minor chord with a chromatically descending root at the top of the chord. And what sounds "Bryan Highlandy" to me is a D[maj] to Em change over "though I wonder..." and the ending in a major chord, while all the song has been in a minor key, among some other nuances.

Jean,

Not only different phrasing but different lyrics on Don's solo "Maybe I'm [just] being foolish..."!

Impressed by how closely observant you all can be and how we can all cooperate to better understand [while trying to apprehend] what our musical heroes have created!

Thank you Chris, Roxy, Jean & everybody.

Roxy! I should have said words had been fitted in on the second version. I know the first version so well. I forget some members had not heard it and took it for granted this would have easily been noticed!
Glad you noticed it along with me! xxx
Post 17 IP   flag post
Sorry Ricardo! The names had me muddled, didn't mean to refer to you as Roxy! We were all talking about the same points!
I've sorted them in my mind now!

No twit like a blonde twit! xxxxx
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
Sorry Ricardo! The names had me muddled, didn't mean to refer to you as Roxy! We were all talking about the same points!
I've sorted them in my mind now!

No twit like a blonde twit! xxxxx

Ha ha, too many "Rs" & too many work "distractions"!
Post 19 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
I have to say truthfully, that I'm not knee on this track or the previous UK release Nancy's minuet. They were so out of kilter from the UK music scene of 1963. The record shop where I bought my records was owned by a real Everly fan, and he would get in any new releases from Don and Phil's and save a copy for me. I remember his disappointment at the releases too, saying 'they don't stand a chance of reaching the charts'. Sadly his knowledge of the record market proved only too correct. But, then came "The girl that sang the blues" and we both went wild over that one
Post 20 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFloody
I have to say truthfully, that I'm not knee on this track or the previous UK release Nancy's minuet. They were so out of kilter from the UK music scene of 1963. The record shop where I bought my records was owned by a real Everly fan, and he would get in any new releases from Don and Phil's and save a copy for me. I remember his disappointment at the releases too, saying 'they don't stand a chance of reaching the charts'. Sadly his knowledge of the record market proved only too correct. But, then came "The girl that sang the blues" and we both went wild over that one

I looked up and listened on you tube to “The Girl Who Sang The Blues”. By golly it took me back. I don’t remember the song, it just seemed such a familiar soundtrack to the music of my youth. I see it was issued in 1957 and I don’t know why it wasn’t a big hit, I really liked it. Some of the beat reminded me just a tiny bit of The Drifters song “When My Little Girl is Smiling”
Post 21 IP   flag post
53622 21 21
destitute