The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Trains and boats and planes7855

DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
https://youtu.be/nA0bVfCpSR0 Just listened to this great Everly version of the famous Bacharach song! It's absolutely mesmerising! It sort of washes over you in waves while you listen! perfect harmony! Just lovely And done in 1967 apparently!
Post 1 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks DeeDee, I always liked this one (what didn't I like ?!) along with "Long Dry Spell", et al. Also, in 1965, Brian Epstein suggested to Bacharach that a group called Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas record it, they did, and had a hit with it in the UK. Dionne Warwick in 1966 had a success, also. She had a number of good ones. In case you haven't listened to it, there was a song called "Tar & Cement" recorded by Verdelle Smith in 1966 which is also haunting and melodic, in my humble opinion. So, as always, The Everly Brothers could sing the weather report and it would be fabulous.

Best, Craig
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
This track. ‘Trains and Boats and Planes’ is a song where Phil sings the actual melody, the dominant tune. Don sings the harmony!

Another nice track! xxx
Post 3 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
It is a hauntingly beautiful song and Phil sounds so dreamy.

Good one DeeDee
Post 4 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Today, I finally managed to get my hands on the album that this track is on...the only down side is that I'm in Toronto at the moment, won't be able to play it until I get back home on 30th October!!! I'm so looking forward to that..
Post 5 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Lovely & relaxing .
Thank you DeeDee.

@Liz58
Well done Liz on getting the Album, even though you had to go a distance to get it.
Enjoy your holiday. xx
Post 6 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Can someone please tell me the name of the album that has Trains and Boats and Planes on it? It is joining my long, long, list of Everly favourites!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
@DeeDee

The album is 'The Hit Sound of the Everly Brothers'.🎸🎙
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hi DeeDee, Like Chris says the album is...The Hit Sound of the EB - 1967....it was a cover for the Burt Bacharach-Hal David number. Bacharach was big then and did "Only Love Can Break a Heart" & "Twenty Four Hours to Tulsa" for Gene Pitney,also.
Post 9 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
This track. ‘Trains and Boats and Planes’ is a song where Phil sings the actual melody, the dominant tune. Don sings the harmony!

Another nice track! xxx

Good observation Jean! quite an exceptional case.

I remember first hearing it by Billy J Kramer & the Dakotas:

The only version I recall that had a "bridge" was The Box Topps', wonder if Bacharach intended it that way...

Post 10 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Ricardo,
i feel the bridge could sound very good with a good singer!
I think the bridge is what we usually call the ‘middle eight’ as it usually contains eight lines of lyrics! Although not necessarily, I've heard as little as two lines of lyrics!

A middle eight is brilliant in making a good song into a wonderful song. Real singers love a bridge! Good song writers try hard for a bridge taking the song to new heights! xxxxx
Post 11 IP   flag post
Wow, you two along with Bert should be teaching Music 101 in a college somewhere! Funny and incredible what music can do to one....eight notes in an octave and yet it can be fabulous in the hands and mind of a composer / artist.
Post 12 IP   flag post
54033 12 12
destitute