The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user

Written by Gene Thomas. Recorded 1972 for PASS THE CHICKEN & LISTEN

This has been postet before but I can't resist bringing it up again.

This song has such a catchy tune, I can't get it out of my head. It might be contagious to you, too.

Even though the lyrics suggest a melancholy-tinged thoughtfulness the music has a fresh and sprightly sound. It accompanies me throughout the day and actually helps me doing my housework with a cheerful heart – even ironing!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
This sounds like Phil harmonizing with himself. Am I hearing incorrectly?
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
WOW Redhead!!! You know, you may be right! I've heard this hundreds of times and never twigged, although certainly Don could sing in Phil's key when he wanted to.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I know Don has the range, but my ears only hear Phil in both parts so am curious to know if that's the case or am I hearing it wrong. Anyone know the answer to this burning mystery?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Redhead, I will ask my Everly friends elsewhere if they know
Post 5 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy, I can hear both voices, but maybe that's just me. The vocals list both Don & Phil. I think "Pass the Chicken" was one of two LPs done for RCA in Nashville in 1972, produced by Chet Atkins who also played guitar on it. This would be the last studio recording by the brothers together, for over the next ten years. It was re-released on a CD in 1997 and again in 2014 as a 2-CD Set along with "Stories We Could Tell" by different labels.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
I can hear both of them on this. MeFloody's right Don could sing in Phil's key too. On Paul Simon's Graceland I could only hear Phil, so I asked Phil and he said no Don's there too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks to you both!
Post 8 IP   flag post
bert private msg quote post Address this user
I hear Don's voice clearly Redhead. But I agree because of the "voice mix" sometimes Phil is a bit louder and Don is hard to hear, but he's there. Listen closely to : Watching it go, wanna to know.... Don deep voice is there.
Post 9 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's Don singing lead as usual, though his voice sounds consistently soft and silky here. But it misses the velvet huskiness of Phil's voice.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks to you all!

And Kathyc, I never knew Don and Phil sang on Graceland. I learn so much from this forum!
Post 11 IP   flag post
oldrosie private msg quote post Address this user
HAVENT HEARD THIS IN A LONG TIME------JUST SHOWS YOU WHAT THE TWO

BROTHERS CAN DO-----WELL, THATS WHY THEY ARE SO GOOD--AS USUAL
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
Thanks to you all!

And Kathyc, I never knew Don and Phil sang on Graceland. I learn so much from this forum!

There was a TV program on the making of Graceland where Paul plays the backing track made by Don and Phil. He also mentions that again on the special Graceland CD release a few years back.
Post 13 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
This is very interesting! It could easily be Phil singing with himself!! You would have to have the equipment to remove the music from the song to be sure but I don't really hear Don here but then he could be singing in a higher key? I don't hear "Don singing lead as usual" as someone above says! It's interesting how we all hear things differently isn't it? The recording date of 1972 might be significant! I remember reading somewhere that when things were "difficult" there were some tracks where Don recorded his bit in Nashville and Phil did his in L.A!! It all came out sounding fabulous which is rather amazing given those unconventional recording techniques!! So, even though they are both credited on the record....hmmmmmm...I am not sure as I certainly hear Phil predominantly here and am interested in any other comments from anyone who knows definitively about the track??
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Strange! I personally hear Don singing the dominant lead in this song! They are both singing in the same key, it would be discordant if not!
Nice track! xxx
Post 15 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Bobby. Wonderful. Not played this album in a while. Must get it out. I think they are both singing but Phils voice is slightly more dominant it’s very soft.
I too saw the PAUL Simon special on making of Graceland Mike. It was very interesting how they could take the voices out and how different it sounded. Hopefully the programme might be repeated xx❤️❤️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I love everything about this song. Thank you BobbyBri.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry but my conversation with Phil was in 1980's and was long before the documentary and Phil did say Don was there too. Is anybody there actually listening? ??
Post 18 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Don is clearly audible in ‘Watchin’ It Go....’. I don’t understand how we are not all hearing him! When harmonising they both sing in the same key although Phil's harmony is pitched slightly higher than the main melody! If there is a key change, they will both have to change key, keeping together in the changed key!

Many of us talk about ‘key’ when we mean ‘pitch’
xxx
Post 19 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I hear Dons voice.
I love the song also.
It's been spun 3 times already!
Just so good to catch up o some of the uploads.
Life is busy, I thought it was to slow down once you retired?
Not so..
Thank you all for the comments.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
I can hear Don quite clearly, no trouble. great to hear it anyway, and a very interesting discussion. Thank you all.
Post 21 IP   flag post
53018 21 21
destitute