The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Records/Flexi Discs/web address7846

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I found this information out in the last 7 days and thought I would share it with every one here. The last part is good if you live in the UK because it is a company who sell parts for record players etc.

RECORDS – Part 1

Emile Berliner invented the ‘record’ in 1888. It was a flat disc made of vulcanised rubber. He later created the ‘shellac’ disc which was a brittle and hard wearing material. These played at 78 rpm (revolutions per minute) and were phenomenally popular between 1920 and 1956. Then came the 45 rpm vinyl disc, which was hugely popular worldwide until the mid 1980’s
Sadly, today, 78 rpm shellac records are not overly popular with collectors. They are so fragile that they are not ideal for posting and therefore are not traded in great quantities over the internet.

The market in old records, rests with vinyl, particularly those from the 1960’s. Many collectors/enthusiasts play them on old record players (Dansette etc) and seem to actually enjoy the trademark crackle from scratched record surfaces. There’s a kind of magical nostalgia associated with this.

Amazingly, vinyl records are making a comeback and some record pressing plants are working overtime to cope with the new demand.

There’s still a strong market for collectable old records but knowing what is ‘collectable’ is the key. You really do need to do plenty of homework.

Rice Crispies promotional 45 rpm vinyl record. Shakin’ Stevens 1981. Kellogg’s label. Plain sleeve. Vinyl (vg) £2 - £4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakin-Stevens-ABBA-Oh-Julie-I-Have-A-Dream-Kelloggs-UK-7-vinyl/142914006582?hash=item214656ae36:g:0DQAAOSw95lbBlhG

RECORDS - PART 2

Flexi Discs

A flexi disc is a thin sheet of plastic or card with record grooves. Unlike vinyl records, flexi discs are flexible and light and therefore cheap to produce in big quantities and cheap to post. It was an ideal advertising/promotional tool.

The demise of the record player sent the flexi disc into the history books. It has now become a classic low-cost collecting area. Our tip is to snap up as many as you can. We forecast a steady increase in value. We imagine they are going to be a lot harder to find in just ten years time.

Already some flexi discs change hands for serious money. The most valuable are those that were given away to members of The Beatles Fan Club in the 1960’s. At the other end of the scale, among the least desirable are Reader’s Digest promotional discs.

As with all collectables, condition affects the value of any flexi disc. They are quite fragile items. Make sure you don’t bend them too much, otherwise they may crease/kink and become unplayable and also lose aesthetic appeal.

Two of the big names in the manufacturing of flexi discs were Lyntone and Sound For Industry.

RECORDS - PART 3

Musonic began supplying record player accessories such as styli and cartridges in 1954 and are still in business today, supplying parts to keep our old record players turning and playing.

Web address:
www.musonic.co.uk

* A Musonic (card) stroboscope - designed to help set and adjust record player turntable speeds. (1965)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember back in the 80's here in the US flexible plastic records were found in boxes of cereal. It only lasted for maybe a year but it was a fun novelty.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris. A really interesting article I remember having some of the Kellogg’s discs. Don’t know where they are now though xx❤️❤️
Post 3 IP   flag post
GaryTheroux private msg quote post Address this user
Emile Berliner is credited with introducing flat disc recordings in 1888 but, of course, such recordings were predated by cylinder recordings dating back to 1877. The playback speed of early disc recordings was not industry standardized to 78 RPM for several years -- which is why the earliest flat disc recordings may have playback speeds of anything from 40 RPM to over 100 RPM. 45s amd 33 1/3 RPM LPs were introduced in 1949 with the last major label releases of 78s coming in 1959. To be most accurate, the first 33 1/3 RPM records were produced circa 1931 -- but quickly failed in the marketplace as 78s were then the standard and Depression Era economics prevented people from buying special record players to handle the slower speed. Collectors do not at all "enjoy the trademark crackle from scratched record surfaces." That's why they seek out pristine copies of releases and deeply discount sales of discs with any surface noise at all. Finally, it is erroneous to state that "a flexi disc is a thin sheet of plastic or card with record grooves." Actually, a flexi disc has but ONE groove -- in a very long spiral. Likewise, nearly all flat disc recordings have only two grooves: one on each side.
Post 4 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! What an interesting thread! I have a great old record player I picked up in a local retro shop recently and was slightly worried about getting stylus replacements for it but the great link to the UK supplier of spares for record players is a brilliant thing to know about!! Thanks so much Chris!!! Now I will be able to play my [rapidly expanding] collection of Everly LP's with no worries about getting spare needles!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
On an old record player in a bedroom (now sons are married) we have got it in there and with speakers, one in the bedroom and one on the landing for when I am working upstairs. But the speed has gone recently and my husband thinks it is a belt problem and the place I linked above and here now have belts. It looks like they carry quite a good list of things.

https://www.musonic.co.uk/
Post 6 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Flexidiscs,¡Wow! Had almost forgotten my collection...

Got a whole bunch of 'em, though I hardly ever have the time [or patience] to sit down & listen.

There's a lot from Guitar Player and other music magazines, then there's the "songs of whales" from National Geographic, ¡even Mad Magazine! and of course some excellent music arrangement examples from my personally autographed copy of "Sounds and Scores" by Henry Mancini...

Chris, you're going to make me set a while to re-calibrate all three of my turntables & play some of them, maybe this weekend around the GGG vs "Canelo" ["Cinnamon", in Spanish] Álvarez fight...

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR FLEXI-DISC LINK 1

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR FLEXI-DISC LINK 2

Torn between thanking you and holding you responsible... ¡LOL!

Post 7 IP   flag post
LOL Ricardo at least you still have them to take up previous time to listen to them😊

Interesting links I did think they were only round. One I remember particularly well came from a purchase of butter/margarine and the picture on the disc just made me feel sick.

My mother threw all ours away!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
LOL Ricardo at least you still have them to take up previous time to listen to them

Haha I actually meant precious time but time was out on an edit!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
54033 9 9
destitute