The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Old Grey Whistle Test Sept 19727843

DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
https://youtu.be/JhPr6Bt2YEI This clip must have been filmed not long before the boys split up in '73 The Old Grey Whistle Test was a long running British TV programme which showcased a lot of the top talent of the times! The Everlys look gorgeous with their fabulous hair long and flowing in the style of the 70's and sing some lilting country style songs with great aplomb!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Don was looking extremely sexy in this clip. The 70's were very kind to him in some ways, not so much in others.

Slightly off topic: the host of that show always sounded like he was trying to hypnotize you and put you to sleep. He almost whispered the introductions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ahah...that was "Whispering Bob Harris" Strangely enough, he now lives in Nashville!! I wonder if his and Don's paths ever cross there??
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Good performances from Don and Phil on ‘The Old Grey whistle Test’ Not far from the split! Neither of them stole hardly a glance at the other! Sad! xxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
Good performances from Don and Phil on ‘The Old Grey whistle Test’ Not far from the split!

Agree with you Jean. They were extremely professional on stage no matter whatever was going on behind the scenes.

However, plain enough, Don totally disredarded Phil at this performance. To me, his attitude indicated a lot of suppressed anger.
At the risk of getting drubbed: He looked like someone I wouldn't like to see coming towards me on the street when I'm out alone.
Post 5 IP   flag post
"He looked like someone I wouldn't like to see coming towards me on the street when I'm out alone."

That's one of the things that makes him sexy here ... for me anyway. I love me a bad boy That and the messy hair ... he is every shade of YES!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sounds dangerous Redhead!! I think Phil looked more as if he needed a cuddle!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Agreed DeeDee! Think we'll have to look after our Redhead don’t you!? ha! ha!

Yes, Don is everything Redhead likes about him!

However, I feel kindness to animals and children maketh the man! Wouldn't leave my hubby, he is soooo kind! He, never the less, can give as good as he gets on the rare occasion it’s been necessary!

Have Don on the side Redhead, keep him in a photo frame. Listen to him sing his lovely songs! You won’t get your heart unfairly broken this was!

Oh! Golly! Now I'm in for it from Kathyc!
xxxxx
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dee Dee and Jeanroberts -

I appreciate your concern, but a broken heart is worth the ride!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Oh Redhead! Ha! Haaaa! You are so funny! You'd have needed a bass ball bat to keep the other girls away! lol. xxxxx
Post 10 IP   flag post
Don isn't dangerous. A bad boy? Yes. Dangerous? No. I know dangerous men ... I married and divorced one many years ago. Don is the fun kind of bad, not the dangerous kind
Post 11 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Phew, the close up of Don’s face at the beginning of the Brand New Tennessee Waltz, just draws you in doesn’t it. Palpitations. ❤️
Post 12 IP   flag post
Lord yes, Roxy! We're on the same page!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yes Redhead and I don’t even have to think - “if only I were twenty years younger” since Don is seven or eight years older than me!😍
Post 14 IP   flag post
He's 29 years older than me but that's OK with me!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ha ha Redhead, I like your style!
Post 16 IP   flag post
No Redhead, Don's not dangerous! Ha! Ha! But you and Roxy are such naughty girls! Don doesn't know what he missed! lol. xxxxx
Post 17 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

Don hasn't missed anything when it comes to women 😊
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
No Redhead, Don's not dangerous! Ha! Ha! But you and Roxy are such naughty girls! Don doesn't know what he missed! lol. xxxxx

Sorry Jean I got quite carried away by watching The Tennessee Waltz.
It sizzles. xx
Post 19 IP   flag post
Who else but Don Everly could make a song with such a tame title as Brand New Tennessee Waltz so sexual?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Wow!! Who knew I had started such a raunchy thread!!! Buckets of cold water for Redhead and Roxy methinks!!! Ha ha!! All good clean[ish] fun!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
DeeDee -

Don't throw cold water on my fantasies! They're all I have
Post 22 IP   flag post
oldrosie private msg quote post Address this user
my oh my we got some gals here on line who are really getting hot and hotter

we need to have a big party with all and of course invite don as the guest of honor,

oops, forgot, wifey can come too.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember staying up late to watch this in 1972. We didn’t get to see much of them in 1972 so it was an occasion not to miss. The shoulder shrug at the beginning always gets me. The camera certainly loves Don in this video.

Jean, Don is an animal lover too - I think he has a few poodles, six possibly. Now we have one dog who is half poodle: there is never a dull moment with him and he can be very noisy so they must liven up Don’s house no end!
Post 24 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I would just go for fabulous Phil and leave Don with his maybe camera woman!! haha
Post 25 IP   flag post
Chris's -

What do you mean 'his maybe camera woman?'
Post 26 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I did wonder if the person with the camera was female and she fancied Don and that is why the csmera was more on Don on this clip. Phil was singing his heart out and looked fabulous yet the camera had a bigger % leaning towards Don.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ahhhh, I see. But Don usually gets the lion's share of camera time since he sings the lead.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Don does not get the lion's share always! Not on the Reunion Concert for one! There is a lot of lovely Phil there and his smiles towards Don then are so sweet! I think it just depends where the camera angles hit! Cameras were much more static and unwieldy back then so that is the probable explanation! We each have our favourite but they are so wonderful together as their voices when blended are just sublime!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Phew! Seems things have cooled down without the buckets of cold water I volunteered to provide being required!! I am just going to watch the video again just now however, so maybe one will be required for me after I have viewed the gorgeous two again!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
53018 38 30
destitute