The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Fleetwood Mac Connection7841

Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text
After watching another great reunion concert - this time Fleetwood Mac - I did a search to see what the members were doing now. When I came to Christine McVie (keyboards, singer, composer), I was interested to see a note about a connection to the Everlys. That link(above)took me to a BBC episode of Desert Island Discs, where celebrities choose their favourite music to have on a desert island. Christine chose Cathy's Clown as one of hers, and at about 31.31 tells a nice little story about singing EB songs with a friend, and both sneaking in backstage during her college days in Birmingham.

Incidentally, as a relatively new member to the forum, it's likely I am repeating this reference, so apologies if so.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm not mistaken I think Christine McVie also sang back up on Phil's solo song When I'm Dead and Gone. I'm on my smartphone now and too lazy to look it up so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong 😊
Post 2 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Redhead, you are correct in saying Christine McVie sang back up on Phil’s solo, When I’m Dead and Gone, and another Fleetwood Mac connection to the Everlys, when Don and Phil split up in 1973...Lyndsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac went on tour with Don as vocalist/guitarist. If you dig deep enough there are a lot of connections between the top groups of those days. Christine McVie was also once engaged to Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys, another of my favourite groups... Nothing to do with the Everlys, but I thought I would just throw that in. 😀

Judy, don’t worry about duplicating facts we all do that on here and there will always be someone to whom the fact will be news. Thanks for posting. 😀
Post 3 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Judy. I’d missed that episode of Desert island it’s an interesting programme. Knew there was a good reason why I liked fleetwood mac xx❤️❤️
Post 4 IP   flag post
Many thanks for additional info Redhead1966 and Roxy. I knew about the Wilson link (mentioned in the Desert Island clip)but not that Lindsey Buckingham toured with Don. Would love to see some of that on video!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyc13
Many thanks for additional info Redhead1966 and Roxy. I knew about the Wilson link (mentioned in the Desert Island clip)but not that Lindsey Buckingham toured with Don. Would love to see some of that on video!

Judy, I posted an interview on here by Lyndsey Buckingham (some time ago) where he talked a little about that tour and he commented that he had felt sorry for Don because Don wanted to sing some new songs/material but the audiences only wanted and kept demanding the old familiar hits. Lyndsey added how soul destroying that was for Don. (I think Lyndsey experienced some of the same himself...Tusk comes to mind.)
I have looked for video of the Don/LB tour but have never come across any, if there is some I feel it would have been posted on you tube by now. Mind you, things crop up from time to time so you never can tell. ❤️
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Roxy Very interesting. I had been wondering how two such strong personalities like Don and Lindsey would have got on, but hadn’t thought about the angle of customer demand. Ref. the first thing, of course, Don always seems to have respected quality in fellow musicians, so probably no issue. About the second, it’s interesting that audiences seemed more willing to accept new stuff once they were back together. Hard to imagine things like ‘Why Worry’ might not have come in to being. Thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Lynn private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting facts I did not know. Thank you.
Post 8 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
Judy, I posted an interview on here by Lyndsey Buckingham (some time ago) where he talked a little about that tour and he commented that he had felt sorry for Don because Don wanted to sing some new songs/material but the audiences only wanted and kept demanding the old familiar hits. Lyndsey added how soul destroying that was for Don.

this is the link to the post:
clickable text

And a scrapped article on the same subject:

Post 9 IP   flag post
That breaks my heart as well. Don was so talented and his solo music was really good. Yet the audiences refused to allow him to grow up or to stretch as a musician and song writer.

Truth be told if I never hear Bye Bye Love or Wake Up Little Susie again I will be just fine. Give me all the stuff they both recorded from the mid 1960's to the late 1980's - that's my jam.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@BobbyBri Thanks so much for this. Both informative. I see from the archived thread that this is at least the third time it has come up, but can see why.

@Redhead1966 I agree with your musical preferences too, but as long as it's a live video, can put up with BBL and WULS a bit longer, just for the visual. However, I'm only a born-again EB fan, so probably haven't heard them as many times as you!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Judy, I was hoping someone would re-post the article for you, I have a new ipad and am slowly getting to grips with it!...as you will have seen from the archived thread, the facts are duplicated plenty of times on here.
I agree with you that the videos of them singing BBL and WULS are visually stunning because they were so good looking.

Redhead, for myself as an older woman who was listening to them in the fifties and early sixties, those early songs were an integral part of my childhood/teens so I never tire of hearing them. I get though that to a younger generation they might not “do it”. Luckily they recorded such a lot of songs during their recording lives, there is something to suit all ages and tastes.
I have to admit though that they must have got heartily sick of singing BBL WULS and CC so often over those years.

BobbyBri. Thank you for finding the link to that old post of mine.😀
Post 12 IP   flag post
Roxy -

It's not that I don't like the early songs because I do. My issue is whenever they sang on TV you knew they would *always* have to sing those same few songs. If they won the battle to sing a new song they still had to sing BBL and WULS. Every. Single. Time. For 50 years. They weren't allowed to grow. If it's frustrating for me I can't imagine how frustrating it was for them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I heartily agree Redhead and just recently when Don appeared on stage as a surprise on Paul Simon’s farewell tour. What did he have to sing??? Exactly!
It was a thrill for us just to see him, but he must have thought “here we go again”. I suppose the one consolation for Don...no problem remembering the words. 😀
Post 14 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, you guys! It took me a while to understand what you are on about BBL (only know BBQ yet) and WULS!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BobbyBri Sorry - Maybe I've been in US too long!
Post 16 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Such an interesting thread! I am sure Don and Phil could have had great careers on their own but the truth of the matter is that together they had something extra, that sublime harmony that no one ever has been able to replicate or top! When they got back together in '83 their voices had matured beautifully and their old songs sounded as good or even better than before and true fans loved to hear new things as well like on EB84! As far as I am concerned they were the best and always will be!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wanted to hear more of the stuff they did (together and solo) from the mid-1960's until their final recording. I loved EB84. Born Yesterday and Some Hearts. Each song on those albums (with the exception of Amanda Ruth which I despise) was a winner.
Post 18 IP   flag post
7bexbex7 private msg quote post Address this user
Re Phil / Fleetwood Mac

In the early days Phil would always stay at my house on his UK visits.
Fleetwood Mac were my neighbours who lived in a huge
early Victorian mansion named BENIFOLD —-(about twenty rooms) set in several acres of beautiful countryside.
John McVie was a lifelong friend—- we had lived in the same street as kids in London.
I would take Phil to the house often———Phil then met up with Christine and John, they got along really well——we shared much laughter and friendship and many good meals together.

So there ya go folks—- that’s how Phil met Chrissie and John.
Cheers
Terry Slater

Terry Slater.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you for that informative insight Terry. It is snippets of genuine information like that that are fascinating, especially for those of us, their fans, who were never lucky enough to meet them. Keep Rocking!😎
Post 20 IP   flag post
@7bexbex7 Thank you indeed, Terry.

After hearing Christine's talk about meeting Phil briefly as a teenager, it must have been a memorable first meeting as an adult and pro musician!
So glad you all had such happy times in England. Obviously one reason EB kept going back.

When you say Fleetwood Mac lived in the house, I presume you mean Mick Fleetwood and the McVies, not the US members - yes?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyc13
@7bexbex7 Thank you indeed, Terry.

After hearing Christine's talk about meeting Phil briefly as a teenager, it must have been a memorable first meeting as an adult and pro musician!
So glad you all had such happy times in England. Obviously one reason EB kept going back.

When you say Fleetwood Mac lived in the house, I presume you mean Mick Fleetwood and the McVies, not the US members - yes?

I would imagine he meant just John and Christine Mcvie lived there Judy as they were a married couple at that time. Hopefully he will answer your question himself. 😀
Post 22 IP   flag post
53018 22 22
destitute