The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

I'm sure this has been posted before, some time ago, but Craig has sent the link to this version, and it has some rather nice pictures of Don ....so what's not to like, or having another listen to?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent audio - very nice, thanks for posting.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Preston private msg quote post Address this user
I've never seen it...thanks....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Ummm! Nice photos! xxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Oh...that was nice! Don sounds so young and the nice photos complimented the song so well! Lovely post Liz, thanks!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58

I'm sure this has been posted before, some time ago, but Craig has sent the link to this version, and it has some rather nice pictures of Don ....so what's not to like, or having another listen to?
b

The photo's of Don are so nice Liz! I'm so glad the song was just a demo, I'm sure Don must cringe should he know this demo with all his flat notes are being played, representing the Everly's!

The problem is understandable, since that rift “Will I ever have a chance to say........”. is not easy, and Don, still young, is out to prove himself! This causes a singer to try overly hard and the result is not what he's trying to obtain! A singers nightmare!

We can hear the difference in the rest of the song and his singing. Don relaxes and enjoys singing the song knowing the rest of it is easy for him until he comes back up against. “Will I ever......”.

As Don grew older, he grew in confidence and relaxed his vocal chords and now has a sweeter tone that wraps around the song he's singing loving the music and emotion! eg ‘Yesterday Just Past My Way Again’ Controlled, because he's relaxed, no flat notes!

When the brothers sang together in the studio right at the start of their career! The studio engineers would keep crying ‘cut’ because the drums, guitar or piano etc. were too loud or not loud enough! Our poor lads had to stop and re sing their song a dozen or more times!

So natural and rehearsed was their singing together, one could bearly tell one of their harmonious takes from another, no matter how many times they were forced to re sing the song!

It matters little to us that we hear some bad ‘out takes’ We have an interest that goes beyond a few bum notes. Just a pity if these duff recordings meet the ears of those not acquainted with, or may never have heard The Everly Brothers before at their normal best!

Not meaning to upset anyone. As a forum we can all discuss what we hear! xxxxx
Post 6 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't hear any flat notes. He always sounds great. I agree his voice was richer when he aged but I don't hear any flat notes in this one. I even liked his voice when he sang Here Comes Santa Claus on the Everly Family radio show and sang it "Santy Claus" so I am obviously biased
Post 7 IP   flag post
I think Redhead, we all hear things differently just as we see things differently! We like different tunes we hear, just as we like different pictures we see!

The Everly's are usually pitch perfect and that's how I like them to be! The Bryant's recognised this and likened Phil's voice to a Stradivarius! I felt this was a perfect description! The fact that we have taken Don and Phil to our hearts for so long, says such a lot about them!

I wonder if Don plays and sings to himself these days? Wonder if he writes songs? Does he miss Phil? Even though they lived apart, they knew where the other was and could and maybe did contact the other if they so wished or needed! Does Margaret still visit Don? So much to wonder about but so few answers! Just the court case coming up sometime soon! Court cases are public, so court reporters will doubtless write their reports for their newspapers!

Hope you are keeping well Redhead! I'll try not to call you Roxy again! xxxxx
Post 8 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
No problem, Jeanroberts ... I'll answer to Roxy if Roxy doesn't mind
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ha! Ha! Ha! The point is Redhead, It’s me who minds very much! I know we all get confused at times, but this happened TWICE! Too much of a blonde moment not to worry about it!

You’re very kind! I thank you! xxxxx
Post 10 IP   flag post
53018 10 10
destitute