The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Everly Brothers last performance date?7830

Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, I'm asking this because I'm puzzled....which is nothing new as I'm getting older...
I've been watching YouTube footage of Albert Lee in Australia on his current tour. He has said several times that he played with Don and Phil for 26 years , after joining them for the Reunion concert. I thought that their last concert, in the UK at least, was in Ipswich, in 2005, which, counting from 1983, only makes 22 years....
Does anyone on the forum ( I'm thinking of Kathy in particular, as she is the most likely to know), were there more concerts in the USA after 2005, would this be where Albert is getting 26 years from? I remember when we saw him at Kinross in May, he'd said 26 years too, before singing No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Liz, Albert is clearly including the time he spent with Don in the UK and America prior to the Reunion 😀
Post 2 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Yes Albert does frequently say 26 years. Love Albert to bits maybe just his maths aren't too great or maybe feel he is adding on the years when he worked for Don. Sadly 2005 was the end as you say Liz it's 22 years. So 22 years plus the 16 earlier years makes it 38 years of Everly Brothers plus of course the 12 years as a family act. So 50 years very impressive, don't think that can be matched.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Yes Kathy, Albert also said Don and Phil split up in 1963 not 1973! too So maybe figures are not quite his thing! xxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
Preston private msg quote post Address this user
No, they did not split up in 1963. Their biggest single was that year, or close.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought that Phil and Don played Ipswich UK in 2005 then went home and retired? It does get confusing as some sites say the concerts they guest starred in with Simon and Garfunkel happened after then?? Did they ever do any guest spots after they got home to America after that time?
Post 6 IP   flag post
DeeDee the Simon and Garfunkel concerts we're after they semi retired and we're mainly in the USA (they were in Hyde Park in 2004 and I was there - they stole the show), but before they finally did give up. In 2005 in England these were the very last and yes it was Ipswich. I was so sorry I was not there would have loved to have been, I always tried to be at first and last concerts and others in between, but my loyalties were with my very sick husband who I lost just a few weeks later. I did see both the the Royal Albert Hall and Oxford concerts though - for which I made no attempt to see them personally ( which now for obvious reasons I regret but my mind and loyalties were else where) but was pleased to received a personal message from Phil via Don Wayne to say how very sorry he was to learn of Richard's illness, which I was able to relay to him, for which I was truly grateful. I text'd Richard at the Oxford concert with - they might be old but still good, he text'd me back - good tunes on old fiddles comes to mind. It was my very last text from him, and I've kept my old mobile so I can keep this message on it. My son thinks I'm mad having two mobiles on the go, but my old pay as you go one with my special text is special to me, also its on very old terms which are so great I always take it abroad and BT are constantly trying to pursuade me to give it up, they just don't understand that I do actually also have an up to date phone as well.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc -

That's a very sweet story about Richard and his last text
Post 8 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I always thought that Phil and Don played Ipswich UK in 2005 then went home and retired? It does get confusing as some sites say the concerts they guest starred in with Simon and Garfunkel happened after then?? Did they ever do any guest spots after they got home to America after that time?

DeeDee, Rolling Stone wrote on 20.09.2013:
When Simon and Garfunkel reunited for a world tour in 2003 they knew only one group could possibly share the bill with them: the Everly Brothers. “They basically came out of retirement for us,” said Paul Simon. “
The tour was a huge success and was extended into 2004. The Everly Brothers must have enjoyed the experience, because in 2005 they went on a brief headlining tour of England. A couple of American dates were announced for later in the year, but they were canceled without explanation. They haven’t appeared together in public once in the past eight years. 

And Albert Lee told about Phil's retiring in 2005:
"We were supposed to go on to Vegas and Reno, I believe but Phil decided he'd had enough. We were in the bus with him on the way back to London celebrating to last gig and he told us that was it. We thought he'd rethink it once he got home but he'd made up his mind. The last time I saw him was at the taping of the Buddy Holly tribute, the same day Buddy got his Star outside Capitol. Phil told me he still missed the fun we had on the road but didn't miss being on stage. Perhaps he was fed up with having to second guess Don's vocal lines."
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you for info. DeeDee! I do wonder if Phil was starting to struggle with his breathing at this point and for some reason didn't wish to tell everyone! I always personally feel we should be up front with our health ptoblems once we know there is a problem. Our friends can easily misunderstand why we are behaving like we are and wonder why and may well wonder if they themselves were causing this person a problem!

Don said much later, he was shocked when he knew Phil was so ill! Did Phil keep it from Don I wonder and if so. Why?

It all came to a sudden end. Did the brothers fall out with each other again! Did Don visit Phil when he knew how ill he was? Phil having to go through a bone marrow transplant, would be no pocnic! Don at his age would not have been allowed to be a dona!
It would seem the transplant didn't work! High risk of rejection!

It seemed such a ragged end, to our wonderful boys......The Everly Brothers!

We are here keeping their music alive! xxxxx
Post 10 IP   flag post
KDF private msg quote post Address this user
On the last tour of the UK 2005 I think it was Phil didn’t look well at all. He was sweating profusely from early on in the show at the City Hall in Newcastle.
In “Dream” Don sang the bridge “I can make you mine taste your lips etc” on his own and I often wondered if it was a new way of presenting the song or to give Phil a bit of a break.
In fact there was quite a bit of that type of thing on songs through the show and at times Phil did seem short of breath
Little did we know about him and CPOD at the time God Bless him
They had two tour buses and after the show there was a bit of a flap outside with the tour people dashing around saying make sure Don gets on a certain bus.
I talked to one of the bus drivers and asked why they had two tour buses and he replied “to keep the status quo”
Don came out and he seemed to recognise me as I had met him quite a few times at certain functions when I lived in North America, had a brief chat and he jumped on the bus not realising that was the last time I would see them tour
I read somewhere the passing of Chet Atkins hit them hard I think they cancelled dates in th US and might also have been a contributing factor to retire or semi retire till the “Old Friends Tour” with Simon & Garfunkel came around
Now all treasured memories
KDF
Post 11 IP   flag post
KDF, like you. a number of us were concerned with Phil's excessive sweating. Also right from the Reunion Concert, the sweating and how Phil looked as though his breathing was laboured once he stopped singing. While he was singing he could control his breathing! Phil did say he was shattered and hadn't slept all night! Understandable!

I imagine Don must have blamed Phil's smoking habit for Phil's breathing problems! Also, if Phil was suffering other aches and pains, he may well have been regularly taking Aspirin based pain killers! Aspirin brings down the body temperature and will make us sweat. Hense the reason we take them if we are running a fever!

I did read somewhere, Don wanted to continue touring, but Phil finally said “No, No, No!” There wasn't an explanation for this decision! I wish I could come across that quote!

I suppose because Phil's breathing grew worse and he was still smoking. He would have little sympathy from Don! Phil's wife Pattie had her work cut out trying to stop Phil from smoking! She did amazingly well, bless her!

Seems Don is going to take after their mother Margaret and live to be at least a 100! (Margaret's almost there) with a brain still agile! Phew! Amazing lady! xxxxx
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hi JeanRoberts Albert Lee mentioned in an article that towards the end Phil was struggling a bit with some of the high notes on some songs and suggested lowering the key of the songs a tone or two but I believe Don didn’t want to do that so Phil said ok I’ll call it a day but Albert will know the exact ins and outs of it
Cheers KDF
Post 13 IP   flag post
Forgot to put this in but probably the extra weight Phil had put on could have been from the steroids I believe he was on for CPOD poor soul
KDF
Post 14 IP   flag post
Oh! Yes KDF. I always said the weight was steroids, a very unnatural weight! Such a pity, he had such glorious hair too! xxx
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yes KFD. I remember Phil needing the pitch to the songs to be lowered but Don not willing to do this! It would probably have taken the exciter away from many of the songs!

Phil likely wasn't sure exactly what was wrong with him at that point in time! He no doubt thought it was his cigarettes but couldn't give them up! Difficult times! xxxxx
Post 16 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

Phil did stop smoking about 10 years before he died. There is a clip (somewhere on youtube) where Don announces it to the crowd at an outdoor concert. He said 'Phil is in great voice tonight, he just gave up smoking' or words to that effect.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Actually Red agree, but Don mentioned in shows in England too in the 1990's that Phil had given up and he was proud of him. Either he didn't have the opportunity to say it off stage, or rather, I believe he could make Phil feel guilty and therefore not give in, by these mentions.

Also Phil use be soaking wet way back in the 1960's. When they had two shows Don could stay in his Tuxedo but Phil use to have to change and back then he wasn't on any medication.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I was never fortunate enough to see them in person so I have to go only by what I see online So I only heard it on that one video. It makes sense that Don would mention it a lot since Don had quit himself long ago and there's nothing worse that a former smoker being around an active smoker. So I'm sure Don was very happy that Phil quit, not just for his health, but for the health and comfort of everyone around him.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Preston private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting that Phil shuts things down at the end and the older Don wanted to keep going. After they broke up in '73, Phil said "We had our issues, but I wouldn't have closed up the shop", so that would indicate Don's choice the first time.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Oh! Yes Readhead, I well knew Phil gave up smoking for s good decade before he died! Pattie nagged at him for years!

I know the concert you are referring to with Don saying “Phil has given up smoking and is in SUPERB voice!”

I feel Don thought Phil's breathing problems would gradually abate and was very thankful!

Sad the cigarettes had already got him! xxxxx
Post 21 IP   flag post
Kathy, I remember Phil taking Aspro (pure aspirin). he gave you some of his Aspro one breakfast time when you had a headache! Do you remember? You also told me Phil was always cold! I suggested it might have been the aspirin as it lowers the body temperature! It takes down fever and the sufferer will be drenched in sweat when the fever breaks!

I took aspirin due to pain and when we had a heat wave, it was most uncomfortable as my clothes stuck to me and I could feel sweat on my legs! This was not normal! Ha! Ha! But then, I'm not normal!
xxxxx
Post 22 IP   flag post
I think the show where Don says Phil has quit smoking and in superb voice was in Manchester cos Don also said they had been to Manchester so many times in the same speech
KDF
Post 23 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I believe Phil had hyperdrosis and that is why he sweated so much on exersion. I suffer from it so I recognise it. It is very hard to control. You just have to put up with it. Maybe he did not know why he sweat so much whereas I see the hospital doctors.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Word should read hyperhidrosis.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Oh! Dear Chris! Poor you!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Oops! Chris still typing, finger caught the reply button.

So if Phil suffered this problem, he didn't stand a chance taking aspirin too! Around the late 60’s very early 70’s. Phil went into hospital for a knee operation! I remember him saying, in an article, that this time in life was a very stressful time and when he tried to get out of bed, he couldn't stretch his leg enough to stand up!

Do you remember the knee op. Phil had? I remember it very clearly, not the year unfortunately!

Sorry you have this sweating problem Chris! I do feel for you. I certainly know of this condition, you do well to cope with it!

xxxxx
Post 27 IP   flag post
Jean his knee op was after 1985 tour. He wrongly thought it was arthritis which was why he was popping the Aspro. It was only when Don discovered what was going on he made him see a doctor and get treatment.

Incidentially I didn't have a headache he said what have you done with yourself this morning honey you look a mess, I was so upset I said I had a headache and he said have you taken anything for it I said no, he said you should so I said I'd get something on the road. Then later when we were leaving and loading up the car and Sheena said Phil's coming over what does he want I said I've no idea and there he was bottle of water and packet of Aspro which I took and accepted his kind gesture of keeping the packet and bottle of water incase I needed to take more. After he left Sheena said I didn't know you had a headache and burst out laughing when I told her I'd only said that because he said I looked a mess!!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Ha! Ha! Ha! Thank you Kathy!

I just couldn't think what year Phil had his knee op. I just knew it wasn't during the split! But I do remember you telling Phil you had a headache! Phil kindly gave you Aspirins!

If I remember rightly, it came to Phil's attention that you looked a little frade, because you didn't fancy any breakfast! He looked at the breakfast and made a joke about.....was it safe to eat!?

Well, I'm glad Don had the sense to make Phil see a doctor about his knee trouble! I remember in an article Phil said he was so glad to be home and in his own bed because the bed in hospital was so uncomfortable!

xxxxx
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyc
Incidentially I didn't have a headache he said what have you done with yourself this morning honey you look a mess

Kathy if Phil had called me honey I wouldn't care whatever else he said about me!!! haha
Post 30 IP   flag post
54033 36 30
destitute