The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
bert private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGYBwOJ89Q
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Yes! I've heard this and always smile at the phraise.....In the Good Old Days When Times Were Bad! How often do we hear folk talk this way! Like ‘Love of the Common People” Ooh! Golly! It would be the cold that would finish me off before I started!

How are you Bert?
Thank you for posting! xxxxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
In the Good Old days! We all have times past that we remember with affection It isn't really to do with what was happening I think it is because people we loved like our parents who may no longer be with us were there to share whatever was going on! Good Old days indeed!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yes indeed DeeDee, our loved ones were with us back when! I well understand it! But would not really like to go back! xxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
KDF private msg quote post Address this user
A song written by Dolly Parton about her impoverished upbringing. The lyrics paint a vivid picture
She had it on her third album about 1969 era. The Evs do a great job on it with their harmonies

Cheers
KDF
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
Yes! I've heard this and always smile at the phraise.....In the Good Old Days When Times Were Bad! How often do we hear folk talk this way! Like ‘Love of the Common People” Ooh! Golly! It would be the cold that would finish me off before I started!

How are you Bert?
Thank you for posting! xxxxx

I'm doing OK Jean, a lot of practice work with the band for a gig next Saturday, but that's no work of course !We all enjoy it too much. When I look back: we indeed had "Good Old Days" growing up in. Times were different, we were at the birth of a lot of new things, that hadn't been there before . Like R'n'R music,after WW 2 big bands with smooth crooner vocals were on the radio no music for kids,but suddenly there was R'n'R...music for us. Coming home with a 45 of Bill Haleys Rock Around The Clock must have been something like an earthquake for my parents. In the mid fifties we were dressed like small adults, there was no fashion for teenagers. We as kids did hardly exists after WW2. That changed when we were discovered by "the industry". A new group of people who had some money to spend. I remember very well buying my first pair of jeans... OMG I thought my parent fainted. Two months before they had bought me a brand new blue suit (17 years old I was),black shiny shoes and a white shirt and red tie, so I could go to my first dance lesson in town ( was a part of a good education in those days, but for us it was just a great chance to meet the girl you were in love with.... just on little paper notes of course... haha)and there I was in jeans, ankle booties and a sport jacket...asking them to sell the piano and buy me and my younger brother a guitar,because we wanted to make R'n'R music. The piano was sold, guitars were bought and three years later we had our first band. Yep Good Old Days, Good Old Memories.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Gosh Bert what a lovely story of your youth, did they sell the piano? We - my family sold ours to make way for our TV there wasn't room for both. What fun and memories you had though. Your own band too!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
So pleased to know you are doing well healthwise Bert! Great to know you are back practicing with your band for another gig too. I do hope it's a great success and highly enjoyable!

Like Kathy, I found your ‘Good Old Days’. fascinating to read! My goodness, your folks selling their piano to buy guitars for you and your brother. Does your brother still play a guitar?

I remember my father expressing with some amazement that young folk today know what they want! Of course so many of our parents had been fighting WW2 and all they wanted was peace! We have so much to sincerely thank them for! xxxxx
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
So pleased to know you are doing well healthwise Bert! Great to know you are back practicing with your band for another gig too. I do hope it's a great success and highly enjoyable!

Like Kathy, I found your ‘Good Old Days’. fascinating to read! My goodness, your folks selling their piano to buy guitars for you and your brother. Does your brother still play a guitar?

I remember my father expressing with some amazement that young folk today know what they want! Of course so many of our parents had been fighting WW2 and all they wanted was peace! We have so much to sincerely thank them for! xxxxx
We were the only two, in our family, having piano lessons, when we both(!) told them and kept on begging, that we would like to switch to electric guitars so we could make music together, they finally agreed. We were very pleased of course and started practicing after we got the guitars months later as a Christmas present. I think we all have good and bad memories Jean. A bad memory for me is (still after all these years) the death of my younger brother in a car crash in 1986 when he was only 39 years old. I did not play in a band for almost 5 years, just could no do it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Oh! Bert, I'm so, soooo sorry to know about your brother! OMG that must have been the most dreadful time for you and your family! I have an understanding of how these things feel! My brother at 14 years old, was in hospital and we were told he may not last the night!

I’ve never known a night like it! We prayed our socks off all night! Drank tea, dared not sleep! The Lord granted our pleadings and my brother pulled through! I'll never forget that night, I can feel it as I write this! The thought we might have lost him was unbearable, so unreal!

I well understand you not being able to just carry on! I'm perfectly sure your brother would have been heartily glad when you did finally get your life back! I'm sure he would have been hugely proud of you!

I dread losing my sister or brother. My sister and I are very close! They, as your brother is, are in all our yesterdays as children and growing up!

I can tell you have happy memories of your brother Bert, those memories are so precious!

Now you carry on making him proud of you and enjoy playing with your band and you have a happy, lovely, enjoyable gig! God Bless! XXXXX
Post 10 IP   flag post
54033 10 10
destitute