The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Even though i hold it in my hand7827

Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

I was playing my YouTube list on random today, and this little gem came up! I'd forgotten about it, but not any more. It's apparently on the Heartaches and Harmonies box set, which I don't have, but we are coming up to Christmas....at least here, the shops have started selling calendars and toys already!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Any idea who wrote this? Googled it, but no answer.
Sounds a bit like a Don song, but not sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
According to this link it was written by Carlisle Hughey and William Smith.

clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Not the best tune for blending a harmony to!
Thanks for posting Jane, I'd not heard this recording before! xxx
Post 4 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Always good to hear another song that I haven't heard before! I agree not the easiest to harmonise on but still nice!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
What a depressing ending!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Indeed it is Redhead! At least it wasn't Barbra Alan this time!
xxx
Post 7 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
I love this one, but then I am always a sucker for sad songs. The harmony is wonderful.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Thought you might like to know what it says on the box set about this one:-

Even If I Hold It In My Hand (Hard Luck Story)
(Smith/Hughes)/(Previously unissued)
DON EVERLY & PHIL EVERLY vocals * GLEN CAMPBELL, AL CASEY, DONNIE LANIER & LOU MORELLO guitar * LARRY KNECHTEL organ * CHARLES BERGHOPER & TERRY SLATER bass * HAL BLAIN & GARY COLEMAN drums & percussion. Produced by DICK GLASSER. Recorded at United Records Studio B Hollywood Jan 6 1967.

The bit in the book where the boys give their view on the song it states:-

EVEN IF I HOLD IT IN MY HAND (HARD LUCK STORY) - Another ominously dark recording, "Even If I Hold It In My Hand" sees release for the first time on this collection.

Recorded during the January sessions for The Hit Sounds of the Everly Brothers album, the song was a brooding tale of suicide, which may have been why it languished in the can. Additionally, Don and Phil have no recollections of cutting this track, which was never mixed for release at any time. Nonetheless, this incredible performance by the duo (captured in two takes) shows the variety of material that the Everly's recorded during their so-called "lost decade".

Kathy tongue-in-cheek comment: Hit Sounds was the album they took a crate of beer into to see the outcome, maybe that's why they can't remember it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
7bexbex7 private msg quote post Address this user
Even I donโ€™t remember this track !!!

Terry Slater๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŽธ
Post 10 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Oh Terry that is so funny what was the moonshine??? Great to hear from you mate!
Post 11 IP   flag post
54033 11 11
destitute