The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Fan returning to Shenandoah 1986 to see Phil & Don7823

Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
DeeDee -

You remind me of my sister when we were kids. She would believe *anything* I told her no matter how outrageous .... and she's older than me. Yet I was always able to fool her
Post 26 IP   flag post
Sharon private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going back to Shenandoah next Saturday, for Shenfest. And this year, weather permitting, I have a car to park next to the little house!
Post 27 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I hope the weather is good Sharon then you can show off the Mustang. 🏁
Post 28 IP   flag post
Fingers are crossed! Right now the forecast looks good. They will be showing the Albert Hall reunion concert and a film of the return to Shenandoah , and the theme this year is honoring service members, hopefully our favorite Marines will be remembered.Thanks Chris!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Hope that you have a wonderful time at Shenfest Sharon....wouldn't it be nice if we could ALL meet up there next year? A forum gathering would be so nice, meeting members from all over the USA, UK, Mexico, Germany....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Marion private msg quote post Address this user
Wow Sharon, love the car. Talk about driving in style, complete with Everly music I am sure. Sounds like a great day at Shenfest.
Post 31 IP   flag post
The Mustang has a cassette player..how cute! I got this tape on eBay, but I will take along a bluetooth speaker so I can hear ALL the Everly goodness.
Post 32 IP   flag post
We have loads of cassette tapes but no Everly Brothers. We have several machines to play them on so we will keep them whilst the players work. You have the best of both worlds now Sharon you will have a fantastic time with other fans too. 😊
Post 33 IP   flag post
Shenanigans private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, everyone! My name is Sherry and I work with Bill Hillman as an Historic Preservation Consultant for the Everly Brothers Childhood Home. I'm an admin on the Facebook page. You're all welcome to join the page to share your photos and stories of Shenandoah there. www.facebook.com/everlybrotherschildhoodhome I look forward to seeing you soon!
Post 34 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Sherry, Thanks for your kind note and I'm sure there will some communications. This website is a wealth of information about Don & Phil, The Everly Brothers.

Best, Craig
Post 35 IP   flag post
They did a wonderful job restoring that house. It looks spit shined and adorable!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Thank you both for your kind and encouraging messages. My twin sister Sheryl and I met Bill two years ago this month and have been working with him ever since! I've written a great deal about our work on my blog at SherryDavis.org/blog if you're interested to take a look!
Post 37 IP   flag post
When I see the name Shenanigans it reminds me of the Southpark episode where the boys go to the county fair and yell 'shenanigans' to call Officer Barbrady when they think they've been ripped off at the games.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Thanks Sherry I will take a look at your blog.
Not often I am around at this time in the UK but just had a coughing time!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
@RedHead1966 I never watched Southpark that much, but enjoyed this clip! Thanks! My inspiration was Don's band in Shenandoah!

@ChrisW I hope you feel better soon!
Post 40 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Sigh...I just wish I could visit and see the lovely little Everly home! Didn't the boys do so magnificently well I love stories of people who make it in life through their own endeavours and genuine talent and the Everly Brothers surely did that!
Post 41 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
AMEN, DeeDee. The EB have "paid their dues" and deserve and merit all of the fame and every penny of any fortune that they have come into.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@DeeDee I hope you'll be able to visit Shenandoah in the future! Yes, the small, modest home is symbolic of their rags to riches story, their work ethic, perseverance and achievement of the American Dream. My sister calls it the "Dream House." From the "Dream House" in Shenandoah where they dreamed of a music career to the "Home of 1,000 Hits" at Studio B in Nashville!
Post 43 IP   flag post
What is the square footage of the house? How many bedrooms?
Post 44 IP   flag post
@RedHead1966 It's a 20 x 15 single room cottage.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WOW! That's even smaller than the small house craze that I've seen on HGTV! Any idea what the mortgage was on it?
Post 46 IP   flag post
@RedHead1966 Tiny house living! In the book, "KMA Radio: The First Sixty Years" by Robert Kirkby, Margaret talks about the difficulties Ike faced with commuting to the radio station from the countryside. It was his first experience with an automobile and he was nervous, so sometimes he drove 20 miles in the wrong direction to Clarinda! So, they eventually moved back into town to a "little house they rented for twelve dollars a month."
Post 47 IP   flag post
$12 a month .... I'm sure back then it was difficult to make the payments but I wish I could have that rent today!
Post 48 IP   flag post
I posted this photo on a thread a couple of weeks ago but it does give you an idea just how small the interior of the little house is. The special photo was taken by a drone on the 8th of September this year.

Post 49 IP   flag post
@ChrisW I'm glad you saw this photo! I'm the admin who posted it on the Everly Brothers Childhood Home Facebook page. Our friend Corey at Epyk Adventures in Shenandoah captured it for us. It certainly shows scale, doesn't it?
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Shenanigans
It does. Seeing where the windows and the door are situated gives a good understanding of the lay out too.
Post 51 IP   flag post
54168 51 26
destitute