The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Buddy Holly: Rave On Documentary7773

Albert private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everybody,

I hope you are enjoying a nice summer and doing well. I just wanted to share a video documentary about Buddy Holly which was recently broadcast on PBS. I found it to be extremely interesting and informative. Many of the rock and rollers from the 1950s such Dion DiMucci, Duane Eddy, Paul Anka and Don Everly are featured in it. Again, it must be mentioned that Buddy Holly enjoyed far greater success in the UK than in America, but his influence was considerable worldwide. I particularly enjoyed learning more about Holly's last New York recording sessions (because those are the songs of his I like best). I hope you enjoy the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8_rK_30JE
Post 1 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi albert very good thanks
peter
Post 2 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy Albert,

Thank you so much for this post! Appreciate it very much. I've seen a few scenes of it before, but it is excellent. made me softly weep. He was a giant. I was in Junior High School from Sep't. 1955 to June 1958 and Buddy's songs / tunes / melodies were blue skies and white clouds and be-boppin' all over the place. He made the "Summertime" of those few years. Dance music, rock music, pop music, music of love, words of love. He did a B.& F. Bryant song just like
his close, close friends, Don & Phil Everly. America took a one, two punch with Buddy's death. It was a big deal, indeed. We became rather somber. My High School three years from Sep't 1958 yo June 1961 were different. And, then the second, knockout punch in November, 1963 in Dallas, Texas. It was the end of a lot of things. Hasn't been the same ever since. These giants in the beginning were copied and revered. They and their music will never die. Life down here is short. Lots more to come in the future.

Best wishes, Craig
Post 3 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Albert, unable to see video in U.K but thanks for posting anyway.
Buddy Holly’s voice is one of the few that will stop me in my tracks whatever or wherever and I listen to the end of the song. The Crickets stayed firm friends with Don and Phil right up to the present, especially with Phil.
Post 4 IP   flag post
supagrab private msg quote post Address this user
Guess what? Its blocked here in the UK 🤤
Post 5 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
Hi Albert, unable to see video in U.K but thanks for posting anyway.
Buddy Holly’s voice is one of the few that will stop me in my tracks whatever or wherever and I listen to the end of the song...The others are The Everly’s and Roy Orbison.
The Crickets stayed firm friends with Don and Phil right up to the present, especially with Phil.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
It is on Daily Motion but I can’t copy the url and put the link on here, I don’t know why. If anybody in the U.K. wants to watch it just do a search for ‘buddy holly documentary, rave on’ and you will find it. It is introduced By ‘Whispering Bob Harris’ and was on BBC4 recently as I remember watching it.

Incidentally when I was looking on You Tube I found another documentary on Buddy made for the BBC Arena programme, the same series that gave us the wonderful documentary on Phil and Don so it will be good I’m sure. Also there is another Arena programme on Eddie Cochran which I can’t wait to watch so that’s this evening’s viewing arranged as U.K. tv at the moment is very poor unless you like soaps and sport.

Thank you Albert for leading me to these programmes.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you everybody for the kind comments. I really appreciate. I thought Rave On was definitely one of the better Buddy Holly documentaries. It's too bad you folks in the UK can't watch it!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mcm7f
Post 8 IP   flag post
That link works fine for me in the U.K. thank you Albert. I watched the Arena one earlier, Phil and Don talk about Buddy in minutes 26,27,31 and 35. Brief appearances but good to see them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Uh oh Still blocked in the UK!!!! I am sure it is a great documentary but there you go!! the variables of technology!
Post 10 IP   flag post
DeeDee you should get it from the Daily Motion link Albert posted.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Yes, I think it should work as well. I tried it myself!
Post 12 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Got it to work but the sound has a sort of hiccup in it so have not finished it yet!! Just like Buddy singing!!! Such a great but sad story! he could have produced so much more great music! I remember seeing a documentary when Phil explained how they took Buddy and the boys out to get some smarter clothes in New York as they had arrived wearing denims with big turn ups and looked sort of out of place in the city! Buddy soon had smart sports jackets and slimmer trousers just like our boys and suddenly looked the part!
Post 13 IP   flag post
53641 13 13
destitute