The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Everly's 1963 Tour of UK7772

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
The Everly Brothers did a tour of the UK 29th September to 3rd November 1963 - one of the venues on this tour was The Gaumont in Southampton on October 29th 1963

Bob Bain was the compere and the promoter was Don Arden.

September 29-30, 1963: The Rolling Stones embark on their first theatre tour of Great Britain, on a package tour headlined by the Everly Brothers and Bo Diddley, and eventually Little Richard, performing in London and Cambridge

29th September - 3rd November: 1st British Tour
Note: The repertoire of the Stones on this tour consisted of the following songs: Route 66/Poison Ivy/Fortune Teller/Money/Come On/Roll Over Beethoven/Talkin’ ‘Bout You/Bye Bye Johnny/Down The Road Apiece/Memphis Tennessee/You Better Move On/Beautiful Delilah (only some of these were played per gig)

Headliners were The Everly Brothers, Bo Diddley and Little Richard.

The Programme for the September to November 1963 tour - The Southampton concert, Little Richard joined them later in the tour: -

September 1963
29 - London (New Victoria)

October 1963

01 - Streatham (Odeon)
02 - Edmonton (Regal)
03 - Southend (Odeon)
04 - Guildford (Odeon)
05 - Watford (Gaumont)
06 - Cardiff (Capitol)
08 - Cheltenham (Odeon)
09 - Worcester (Gaumont)
10 - Wolverhampton (Gaumont)
11 - Derby (Gaumont)
12 - Doncaster (Gaumont)
13 - Liverpool (Odeon)
16 - Manchester (Odeon)
17 - Glasgow (Odeon)
18 - Newcastle (Odeon)
19 - Bradford (Gaumont)
20 - Hanley (Gaumont)
22 - Sheffield (Gaumont)
23 - Nottingham (Odeon)
24 - Birmingham (Odeon)
25 - Taunton (Gaumont)
26 - Bournemouth (Gaumont)
27 - Salisbury (Gaumont)
28 - East Ham (Granada)
29 - Southampton (Gaumont)
30 - St. Albans (Odeon)
31 - Lewisham (Odeon)

November 1963

01 - Rochester (Odeon)
02 - Ipswich (Gaumont)
03 - Hammersmith (Odeon)

The Southampton concert was the 29th of October 1963 looking at the full list of dates on this tour it can be seen that there was barely a night missed when they did not perform.
Post 1 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, what a line-up of Rock Royalty. Incredible play-dates. Then again, 1962, 1963 was a crossroads. Don, personally. Medical. Tons of stress, tons of change. "When we got off the plane in London, all the Press wanted to ask us was what did we think about the Beatles." Plus, The Rolling Stones were seriously touring now and were on the rise...............

1957 - 1963. 1964 - today.
Post 2 IP   flag post
KDF private msg quote post Address this user
The Stones also played their first hit “Come on” and announced that their second single will be “Not Fade Away”
Buddy Holly’s song which they performed at the Newcastle Odeon that I was at
Bo Diddley did quite a short set and Some of the audience were quite unruly and kept shouting “we want Bo” most of the way through the Everlys set
The Ev’s battled on and dedicated a song to the hecklers and I seem to recall Joey Paige also saying “this is for you guys who are shouting” and I think he was being sarcastic but it wasn’t easy for Don & Phil
Little Richard stole the show, he closed the first half, extremely energetic had the place bouncing, finished up throwing his tie, white shirt and vest to the audience
Being an Everly fan I enjoyed them but as said it can’t of been easy singing songs like “Dream” to hecklers also not even their fault
That was the problem with package shows as you get a wide range of different tastes
KDF
Post 3 IP   flag post
7bexbex7 private msg quote post Address this user
It was a busy, fun time!
Cheers Terry Slater
Post 4 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Chris. So good to read. I went to the show in Manchester Odeon. I was so excited I remember Little Richard closed the first half and came off the stage and ran round the back of the auditorium you could still hear him singing. The Stones were very smart in black trousers and black and white small check jackets but I just wanted to see Don and Phil. I went home in a dream. They were wonderful xx❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
Glad it brings back memories for everyone. Thanks Terry there was only the odd day they took time off.
Post 6 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user

Got my program signed by Don and Phil twenty five years after the show. They loved seeing all the old details. I wish now I had got an address from them so I could have sent them my spare copy
Post 7 IP   flag post
I imagine the concert as come back to you now and brought your memories alive again. 👍
Post 8 IP   flag post
I still have all my programmes Mike. Very special treasure xx😍❤️
Post 9 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Was that the tour when they let The Stones have top billing?

There are some podcasts from The Rolling Stones website and one is about 1963. I listened but they don’t mention this tour as it is about them trying to get on the BBC. However I know Keith said he was in awe of Phil and Don. In 1962 The Stones were playing small venues but by the time of this tour they were getting really big.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I feel certain it was Jane. The Everly Brothers could see how popular the Stones were and gave them top billing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
clickable text

I just remembered this article by Spencer Leigh. Part 3 Gonna Have Some Fun Tonight, is about the tour.

Sorry the text function never seems to work for me. Here is the link

http://www.spencerleigh.co.uk/2014/09/we-used-to-have-good-times-together/2/
Post 12 IP   flag post
Exactly. That was the tough crossroads. Time were a'changin', as Bob Dylan sang. Keith said that they used to go out front and sit and watch in awr when Don & Phil were the top act. "We were in heaven. It doesn't get any better than this." But, The Stones were now getting serious at this rock-show-biz thing and destiny and fate now had them going to the top and beyond. They didn't even imagine the filled stadiums and fame and the large fortune that was awaiting them in the decades to come.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bexbex7
It was a busy, fun time!
Cheers Terry Slater

Terry, am I right in thinking you were a member of The Flintstones? If so was this when you first met Phil?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Glad it brings back memories for everyone. Thanks Terry there was only the odd day they took time off.

And of course there were two shows a night in those days. If you read the bit before the account of that tour in Spencer Leigh’s article it shows how busy they were. Those managers and promoters certainly wanted their pound of flesh. I think Don Arden (Sharon Osbournes’s father of course) was particularly ruthless.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
I went to eight of these shows. They had the Monday's off. Bo Diddley's act was cut very short, they all were but his the most, after Little Richard joined at Watford on the first Saturday. The Stones fans were very loud (mods / yobs) and thought it cleaver to ruin it for the rest of us. I know Keith Richard said the Everly's stepped down at the Royal Albert Hall and gave them top billing, but they never played The Royal Albert Hall until 1971 when their Dad was with them. If the did stand down to give the Stones top billing it wasn't any that I went to. Hi Terry great to hear from you mate -
how are you doing? You were there every night - did they stand down? If so can you remember where? I just remember how great it was seeing them both on stage singing those wonderful songs of theirs.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I always believed the Everlys stood down for The Stones during this tour; I think Keith Richards might have said it. But I have read all through Spencer Leigh’s article and there is no mention of this.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The EB and all the others were pals, but it was the kids...the teens...new times were coming in and like Elvis, Jagger, McCartney were an "act"....they moved, smiled, grimaced, jumped,....kids/teens now want what they wanted....nothing against Don & Phil....it was a new day and in the U.S. in February 1964 when The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan TV Show....well, that was it. British Invasion and here we go into the Sixties.........for better, or worse.......time marches on......can't stop it......
Post 18 IP   flag post
I Think Keith Richard said this on the Harmonies from Heaven programme. It certainly didn’t happen in Manchester Don and Phil were top of the bill and the audience were there to see them.
Perhaps Keith imagined it happening after a drug fuelled blowout !!! Xx❤️❤️
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks Joy. I thought it was Keith. I’ve looked in Roger White’s book and there is no mention of it there either, but it did answer my question - Terry was in The Flintstones. Of course Keith did fall out of a tree and smoke a lot of dope, or it could be FAKE NEWS. Or perhaps Keith meant to say, “The Everly Brothers didn’t stand down for us and they didn’t give us top billing. Apologies to Trump fans!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Agree Jane fake news. Also after the concert I did go quite a few Stones concerts in and around London, all fairly small venues (except for Eel Pie Island) and I never ever paid more than 2/6d to see them, so their career success wise took a little longer. In fact I've never paid more than this 10 1/5 pence new money to see them. Saw them a few years ago at Twickenham, but my friend's two sons who came with us had paid for the tickets and refused to let us pay so I've no idea how much that cost.
Post 21 IP   flag post
No doubt Kathy it would be an eye watering amount of money to see the Stones now. I missed Neil Diamond on his last UK tour due to the cost of the tickets. At least I have seen him and he was very good so that will have to be enough for me because now he has stopped touring because of his illness. Although I was excited to read that he will keep writing and recording. Keep going Neil
Post 22 IP   flag post
Saw The Stones in 1964 at Convention Hall in Phila. next to the Univ. of PA and paid very little, which was great, seeing as I had very little money back then. Brian Jones was playing. Herman's Hermits were one of the opening acts. "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter...." But, ~ 25 years later at Veteran's Stadium in South Philadelphia near the airport, it was mobbed, pouring rain, oy, what a night !!....and the Stones price was very high then.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Talking about the Albert Hall I think I read somewhere that the Everly Brothers were banned from playing the Albert Hall at one point because people got up dancing in the aisles while they were on. Probably couldn't contain themselves, as the Evs can rock it up a bit but I don't know what era that was, presumably 60s.

Cathy you may know more about that

Cheers
KDF
Post 24 IP   flag post
Actually KDF you are right it was Ike - talk about a delinquent Father!! Ike suggested that the audience got up and dance in aisles in October 1971 at The Royal Albert Hall, just not done at the time, so remember at work the following day people saying no wonder the Ev's could rock they were a chip off the old block, Their father was something else!! Boy could he rock - later have heard the boys say of how he could steal the show, he did that night. I was there and so remember - hope lots of you were there too. They were banned for 10 years over this in 1971 - so the reunion could not have been until 81 had they wished it - instead of 1983, which was a good and safe choice.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The old devil, haha, I know he was very charming as I chatted to him once at Batley Variety Club I think it was when they were all playing there
Anyway many thanks, it’s great to have a live Google/encyclopaedia at the touch of a keypad. Hope you don’t take offence being referred to like that Cathy but it sure helps in keeping the record straight
Thanks again
KDF
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyc
Agree Jane fake news. Also after the concert I did go quite a few Stones concerts in and around London, all fairly small venues (except for Eel Pie Island) and I never ever paid more than 2/6d to see them, so their career success wise took a little longer. In fact I've never paid more than this 10 1/5 pence new money to see them. Saw them a few years ago at Twickenham, but my friend's two sons who came with us had paid for the tickets and refused to let us pay so I've no idea how much that cost.

A lot of money I would imagine Kathy. We always regretted not seeing The Stones live and did toy with the idea of seeing them a few years ago but the tickets were extortionate - hundreds of pounds.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Chris, we have seen Neil Diamond at least four times. He never failed to give a great show and with no warm up acts. We were so sad to hear of his illness. The last time we saw him on tv, he looked very thin and we wondered if he was ill.

How narrow-minded to ban the EBs from The Albert Hall just because people were enjoying themselves. It reminds me of when we went to see Guns N Roses in Birmingham - it was minus Slash but they were very good. Axl was late on, about 40 minutes which is modest for him I believe. When he came on the audience were very enthusiastic, especially after Live And Let Die, complete with fireworks. One young man ran up to the front and a security guard got hold of him and tried to eject him. Axl was outraged, stopped singing and said to the security man that he wouldn’t carry on until he let the young man go as he was only wanting to enjoy himself himself. I always liked him for that. Sorry to go off topic but Axl was briefly related to Don wasn’t he?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Jane - Yes he was married to Don's youngest daughter Erin.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
What a wonderful amount of memorabilia and vivid accounts of the Everly’s 1963 tour. Especially as I didn’t get to see any of this back then. So thank you to all of you for posting such interesting, knowledgeable and fascinating accounts/insights of that time. ❤️
Post 30 IP   flag post
52334 44 30
destitute