The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Everly's 1963 Tour of UK7772

KDF private msg quote post Address this user
The old devil, haha, I know he was very charming as I chatted to him once at Batley Variety Club I think it was when they were all playing there
Anyway many thanks, it’s great to have a live Google/encyclopaedia at the touch of a keypad. Hope you don’t take offence being referred to like that Cathy but it sure helps in keeping the record straight
Thanks again
KDF
Post 26 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyc
Agree Jane fake news. Also after the concert I did go quite a few Stones concerts in and around London, all fairly small venues (except for Eel Pie Island) and I never ever paid more than 2/6d to see them, so their career success wise took a little longer. In fact I've never paid more than this 10 1/5 pence new money to see them. Saw them a few years ago at Twickenham, but my friend's two sons who came with us had paid for the tickets and refused to let us pay so I've no idea how much that cost.

A lot of money I would imagine Kathy. We always regretted not seeing The Stones live and did toy with the idea of seeing them a few years ago but the tickets were extortionate - hundreds of pounds.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Chris, we have seen Neil Diamond at least four times. He never failed to give a great show and with no warm up acts. We were so sad to hear of his illness. The last time we saw him on tv, he looked very thin and we wondered if he was ill.

How narrow-minded to ban the EBs from The Albert Hall just because people were enjoying themselves. It reminds me of when we went to see Guns N Roses in Birmingham - it was minus Slash but they were very good. Axl was late on, about 40 minutes which is modest for him I believe. When he came on the audience were very enthusiastic, especially after Live And Let Die, complete with fireworks. One young man ran up to the front and a security guard got hold of him and tried to eject him. Axl was outraged, stopped singing and said to the security man that he wouldn’t carry on until he let the young man go as he was only wanting to enjoy himself himself. I always liked him for that. Sorry to go off topic but Axl was briefly related to Don wasn’t he?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Jane - Yes he was married to Don's youngest daughter Erin.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
What a wonderful amount of memorabilia and vivid accounts of the Everly’s 1963 tour. Especially as I didn’t get to see any of this back then. So thank you to all of you for posting such interesting, knowledgeable and fascinating accounts/insights of that time. ❤️
Post 30 IP   flag post

MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
I only saw this tour in Birmingham and only part of it at that, due to a stomach bug I had that evening. But I agree with Kathy, the Stones, and particularly, the Bo Diddley fans were very rude. I they traveled from venue to venue and made the same problems so I heard. I wonder if Don and Phil gave up the top spot at one of the later East London shows and Keith got it mixed up.
I certainly was at the RAH when Ike appeared with his sons; that was an amazing show
Post 31 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw the Rolling Stones in New Orleans when I was attending college in the late 1980's. I remember being appalled at the $30 ticket price and announcing to my friends that this is the highest ticket prices will ever go. How dare they charge so much? Wow, if I could turn back time and only pay $30 for a concert ticket now!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Oh Mike I would have loved to have seen Ike with his sons at theRAH what a show that must have been. What a shame there wasn’t a video of it and to also see the audience so enthralled.
I also saw the Stones later in the 60s when my brother who was in a Manchester based group at the time was on the same bill. He also played on a tour with Del Shannon and I met him. A very very nice man. Such a shame for his sad demise xx❤️❤️
Post 33 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
MeFloody I went to all the London shows and the Everlys were always top of the bill. If it did happen it was not one I went to. The Stones had an old single decker bus a little like an old green line bus they travelled, lived and slept on perhaps they took their fans with them. They had no washing or toilet facilities and Bill asked Joey Paige if he could come to his hotel room for a wash and for the rest of the tour all the Stones would go to Joey's to wash every day.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Kathy, clearly Keith's memory is somewhat, lets say, diminished 😄 I will Joey if he knows 😊
Post 35 IP   flag post
When you think about it I’m sure their management would have advised them against stepping down. It wouldn’t have been good PR would it.
Post 36 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe it's just a story that has grown and grown as time goes by but there is no truth in it.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I’d like to think so Chris. I do remember seeing a clip where Keith Richards said he liked to watch Don and Phils act as they were so professional and he learnt a lot from them xx❤️❤️
Post 38 IP   flag post
Joey Page replied to my message, 'Did the Everlys step down as the main act for the Stones', saying :- "That never happened. They (the Stones) remained the opening act the whole tour".
So nice to still have the Everly band members from over the years around to shed light on to these questions
Post 39 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
MeFloody -

Makes me wonder why Keith said that and how it made it to the documentary without being act checked.
Post 40 IP   flag post
So glad you cleared that up Mike. Don and Phil were so popular and the Stones were just becoming known. Certainly at Manchester everyone was there to see The Everly Brothers.
It was possibly a figment of Keith’s imagination after he’d been on the whacky baccy or something stronger I certainly only wanted to see Don and Phil and forget the rest xx❤️❤️
Post 41 IP   flag post
Good to have that cleared up, thank you Mike.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
MeFloody -

Makes me wonder why Keith said that and how it made it to the documentary without being act checked.

Redhead, I'm sure Keith had his reasons but Joey told me on Sunday that it didn't happen. He was on that tour and,became friends with the Stones also.
Post 43 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Sigh...great to hear all these first hand stories about the Everly tours back in the day It just makes me nostalgic for times when I wasn't even there to see them!...Like ever! You fans who have got up close and personal to Don and Phil certainly have great memories and thanks for sharing them with us poor souls who never got to see our heroes live!
Post 44 IP   flag post
53641 44 19
destitute