The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
This is the one where I mentioned a Kathy Cole who references this concert with the "Rum Rummer" in Birmingham. Is this you Kathy?

]The Everly Brothers appeared at the Birmingham Odeon in 1968.[/b][/center]

[center]Other acts appearing with them were: Little Richard, The Rattles, Mickie Most and the Rolling Stones.

[/center]

A once beautiful cinema, now divided into eight screens. The Paramount Theatre opened on 4th September 1937 with Errol Flynn in “Charge of the Light Brigade”.

The original seating capacity was for 2,439 with 1,517 in the stalls and 922 in the circle. It was equipped with a Compton 4Manual/10Rank theatre organ which was opened by Al Bollington. The Paramount had a large stage, dressing rooms and a cafe/restaurant.

In August 1942, it was sold to Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. and it was re-named Odeon. In 1965 it was closed for a period while major modernisation was carried out.

The Odeon was used for many live shows during this period of time, including appearances by The Beatles. Indeed, for many years it was the venue, for the then many ‘Package Shows’, which consisted of one main star attraction, and several support acts. Sometimes the package consisted of many acts, that were all charting at the time. In May 1988 the Odeon was closed for conversion into a six screen cinema, which re-opened in August 1988. Unfortunately, the Compton organ, which had still been used for concerts, was dismantled and sold.

The star names are many and too numerous to name them all, Duane Eddy, The Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent, Mickie Most, The Shirelles, Mike Bloomfield, Darry Hall and John Oakes, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Ike and Tina Turner, Iggy Pop (twice), Santana, Little Feat, Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, The Butterfield Blues Band, Ry Cooder, Television, Blondie, Patti Smith, XTC, Simple Minds, Lynyrd Skynyrd (twice), The Tubes (twice), Elvis Costello, Bob Marley and The Wailers (twice), Third World, Toots and The Maytals, The Stranglers, Echo and The Bunnymen, Emmylou Harris and The Hot Band, Dr Feelgood (thrice), Wire, Graham Parker and The Rumour, Southside Johnny and The Asbury Dukes, Grinderswitch, The Marshall Tucker Band.

Susan Palmer:
"So sad to hear of the closure of one of the most prestigious concert halls closing.

I first went there when it was a cinema when I was a youngster, but in the 60’s I attended several concerts, ie. Sam & Dave, Tina Turner, Temptations, etc. and it was such a wonderful place to be.

I haven’t been recently but it is sad to think that another venue is unable to compete with the out of town consortiums.

RIP ODEON fond memories"

Richard Gale:
"I saw Harry Chappin, not long before he died. Also The Everly Brothers. They were great but only did about 30 minutes. Maybe they weren’t talking again....."

Kathy Cole:
"Its the same show the boys gave us English folk at the Rum Runner Club in Birmingham in 1968. Absolute magic!!!!!"

With all these big names in the music industry 'The Odeon' must have been quite a place to have a concert in.

Attached video clip: Brilliant ITV news piece about the closure of the Odeon, one of the best venues in the country.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Chris for more photos and article on Odeon but the Stones Mickie Most Little Richard and Bo Didley didn’t appear with Don Nd Phil in 68 I think it was 1963 xx❤️❤️
Post 2 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Chris - Joy is right at the Rum Runner in 1968 it was where the boys gave their night club act in to the UK for the first time, Don was so funny and Phil's responses they could have had a comedy act. Bo Didley, Little Richard, the Stones et al were as Joy says in 1963.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I have the other tour concerts with the Stones and Little Richard, many photos and lots of info. I will post it tomorrow now, it is late and the postman has taken my vinyl back to the Post Office because I was at work!!! So early start to pick it up, opening at 7am I should be there early!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I have this Odeon one down as 1968, so I will have to check tomorrow. I mentioned the Rum Runner at the top because it is mentioned in this info.
I found the Kathy Cole comment amongst others and of course I now wonder if it was you Kathy.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
It is indeed our Kathy Cole! She's somewhat of a celebrity herself, no? Kathyc, may I have your autograph?!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Hope you get it collected Chris. Enjoy xx❤️❤️
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
The Odeon is still there in the centre of Birmingham, opposite Primark in fact. I walked past a couple of months ago. It is where my friends and I saw them in 1959 or 1960, my Mum queued up for tickets for us as I was still at school. Twenty odd years later I was queueing up there to get tickets for my son and his friends to see Madonna.

Yes The Rum Runner is long gone as it was in the part of Birmingham that has undergone drastic redevelopment, one of the many changes that makes Birmingham very different from the Birmingham of the fifties and sixties. By the time the nightclubs started to open I was wrapped up with Home and caring for two little boys but I did go to The Night Out once in the 70s to see The Three Degrees with some girls from work. Let’s say it didn’t inspire me to become a nightclub regular.
Post 8 IP   flag post
donandphilfan private msg quote post Address this user
I well remember The Odeon and The Rum Runner in Birmingham. They were THE venue's in the 60's for groups to appear. I went to many concerts at The Odeon and The Night Out. Oh the memories!

Sadly as Jane43 said they are from a different time and Birmingham is a very different place today.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes donandphilfan if we ventured over there at night now we would have to climb over the drunks in Broad Street.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@donandphilfan If I worked on a Saturday morning I used to get on the bus and spend the afternoon in Birmingham. Lewis’s department store was great, especially the food Hall, then shopping for clothes at C & A or Dorothy Perkins for something to wear at the Saturday night dance we used to go to.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hi,yes we used to go to B'ham for the day shopping. I remember Lewis's and Rackhams. If I remember correctly Lewis's had a record department in the underpass entrance, I used to buy The Boys LP's from there. Happy days!

I won a competition once, something to do with coffee but I can't remember what now, and my friend and I went to a reception at The Albany Hotel on Smallbrook Ringway with Steve Ellis of The Love Affair.Wonder what happened to them?
Post 12 IP   flag post
You are so right about night time there now! had to walk from New St to Snow Hill a while back, didn't think I'd make it in one piece!
Post 13 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Nice photos and fascinating stuff from all you nice people who know and remember those days in the 60's when the Everlys were touring the UK so regularly! Sounds like the glory days!!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
53641 14 14
destitute