The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Everly Brothers at the "Attic"7768

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
[center]The Everly Brothers appeared at the The Attic, 641 N. 2nd St in February 1966.

[/center]

Though jazz was often on the bill (including Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Woody Herman and Stan Getz), The Attic – opened in part of the old Merrill Theater in April 1965 by Zoy Maholias and his father James – also booked classic rock and rollers like Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, The Platters and The Everly Brothers throughout the 1960s. You could also see hitmakers like Johnny Rivers, Neil Sedaka and Bobby Sherman at the club, which was later described by a Journal reporter as a "cramped little cabaret." Around 1973, Maholias was forced to move the club and re-opened on the far northwest side as The Attic West. The building, erected in 1915 to plans by Brust and Phillips, has been demolished.

[center]

[/center]
[center]

[/center]
[[center]Terry Slater, Phil, Jay Lacy and Don[/center]
[/b]

[center]

[/center]
In early February of 1967, my roommate asked me to double-date with him to see the Everly Brothers at the Attic in Milwaukee (I had a car). It was close to Valentine’s Day, and he wanted to propose to his girlfriend. A few days before the date, I was playing bridge in the PIT. My roommate stopped by and reminded me I needed a date. I turned to the beautiful young lady kibitzing at the table (I knew her only by name, Jean Webb, as I was in music and theatre, and she was a jock) and asked her if she would like to be my date. She graciously accepted.

A year later, the Fifth Dimension was doing a concert at school. We had gotten engaged that weekend while visiting my parents. One of the group came down into the audience looking for a couple to sing a song to. He stopped by us. We indicated that we had just gotten engaged. He asked if anyone knew. We said, "No". He asked if he could announce it. We said, "Yes".

[center]

[/center]
We were married on June 2, 1968. Chaplain (Robert) Buzza did the ceremony, Bob Smith (the band director and one of my best friends) wrote the music for the ceremony. The 7-piece band included Mr Smith and Professor Tyson.

[center]

[/center]
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris. Wonderful photos xx❤️❤️
Post 2 IP   flag post
Judyc13 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice memories. The Attic doesn't look the kind of place they would wear evening dress though. Unless they had gone on from somewhere.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if it is one of those places where the inside is much better than the outside.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting, must look out my Don Wayne letters to see if he mentions anything other than them being there. Also Terry is with them as is Jay Lacy, but the drummer is not Eddie - Ireland in April. Jim Gordon has left them, so by the time Phil had let Eddie go they were two drummers down in 4 months!!! Jim Gordon was a hard act to follow.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Lovely story and great nostalgic stuff!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
54365 6 6
destitute