The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

In black and white, and how very young do they both look? Cute or what.. Voices dubbed I think, but worth watching anyway!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Gosh Liz58 where did you find this wonderful classic. Just so love it so much I guess I will watch it quite a bit. This is what it was all about. Just love it sooooo much !!!! Xxxxx Thank you xxxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Kathyc -

Is this around the year you first met the boys?
Post 3 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thx, Liz. I always sung alone with this one, also....1958 written by Don & Phil...they were on their way...went to #4 on the Billboard Best Sellers Chart and #10 on the Billboard C&W Most Played by Disc Jockeys Chart...the B side was "This Little Girl of Mine" written by Ray Charles in 1955 on the Atlantic Label and was a great song and then Don & Phil covered that one in 1958 and it charted in the Top 40...D & P met Ray a number of times and he was happy about it and asked if he could do a cover of "Bye, Bye Love"....and everyone, Boudleaux, Felice, Don, Phil, Ray, Cadence, Atlantic, was happy $ with $ royalties $ sales, etc. 1958 was a hor, rockin' year across the U.S.A. American Bandstand went national, not just local and the records stores were always crowded here in Philadelphia and the suburbs, let alone, New York City and Middle America. Disc jockeys had immense power. Matter of fact, it was Alan Freed who coined the name "Rock 'n' Roll." Black, blues, gospel, country, pop......mix for a minute in the blender and out came a sound that Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, et al, said, "It will never last! I tell you it will never last!" HA, well, Frank and Jackie and others, it went on later to bring about the biggest act in show business history, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are still performing with immense fame and fortune, more than you ever had. Hey, I like some of your sounds Frank and Jackie and others, but............
Post 4 IP   flag post
No way probably 5 years before I met Phil and 6 years before I met Don. I got to know them really well around 7 years later,... So like you guys first time, there isn't a lot of around for me these days so great!!! This is such a wonderful find BIG THANKS xxxx
Post 5 IP   flag post
Sorry Craig maybe should have read what you had to say, but it came up after I'd posted, in reality this was an album track, that Archie Bleyer released, Don and Phil were not happy about this they were on a roll and it should not have been their third release. Which is why in later years they recorded the wonderful Songs our Daddy Taught Us so he just couldn't just release anything again. I still think Dream was their third record which is what they wanted.
Post 6 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my word, they are so young looking here..
Making me feel old!
So good to see this one again Liz- thank you.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I do like this song a lot but I find it hard to make out what Don is saying in his solos specially the first one. This is the song where I have always had this problem.
Nobody does the mmmmmm's better than they did❤
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Kathy, looking at this film. Their suits with the subtle stripe and the striped tie and buttoned down collar! They must have had that publicity photo shoot before or after this television appearance! Do you know the photo's I mean? xxx
Post 9 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Not only overdubbed, but ridiculously sped-up from the original in "D" to "Eb", a half tone up to sound like freaking squirrels!

Why do people do this??????????????

Don't like the horn arrangement or the video quality, but they're real thing, just can't stand the darn fakes!!!!!!!!!

Post 10 IP   flag post
Ricardo -

I *thought* they sounded too high pitched even for their young ages It looks and sound ridiculous when it's done that way.
Post 11 IP   flag post
This incredible idiot "Leonardo Vinci" could be legally sued by Don [as composer}, The Everly Brothers [as artists] and their families, Cadence, Accuff Rose, etcetera for doing this, he should go hang himself from the highest pole...
Post 12 IP   flag post
*note to self: Never tick off Ricardo!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Just please don't mess like this with my musical heroes!
LOL!
Post 14 IP   flag post
The brothers actually tried the song out in "Eb" with a sñightly different tune in Don's solo:

but obviously thought it was too high, or they would have released it like that!

Please compare with released version, in "D":

If people think they're talented enough to alter the work of artists, musicians, producers, recording engineers and so on, they should compose, produce and record their own songs, not ruin the hard work of professionals! I'm thinking of the spliced "It's All Over" worst over-produced version [not my opinion, but Don's!] in order to make it longer.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Here's the demo version of the song, in "D", with Don singing solo at the start, slightly different lyrics & too much reverb:

They obviously considered raising the key a half step [compare to un-released version] but rejected it!

Producing a record is very hard work. That's why it's infuriating to have some ignorant good-for-nothing come and think they're "improving" the released product with their stupid tinkering.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Ricardo! I don’t know if this will be of any help to you with this thread!
My husband Graham was for many years the senior VTR editor at the major television company in London! Kathy knows Graham too, we are old Everly Fans! I showed Graham these clips and asked what he thought had happened to them!

Graham said, as far as he could tell.......”Live TV was originally recorded to film at 24 frames per second in the USA! The film will have then been played back in another part of the world at 25 frames per second, causing the pictures to be speeded up! The sound is from a different source, dubbed on top of the pictures! The sound is then speeded up to keep the lip sync approximately together! You can see how the lip sync drift gets worse at the end of the song!”

It’s little wonder we watch the clips in such an appalling state! The fifties and sixties of course were early days of television. No digital recordings to keep things together and television all over the world had different systems! From my own point of view it’s was all a matter of recordings being on rotating tape recorders. If the rotation turns faster the sound goes up! Drop the speed down and the sound slows down into another pitch! We only have to turn our fan coolers up and down to hear how the hum alters! I realise you understand this. It might help our friends who have never thought about it!

You may have questions you'd like to discuss. If so, I'll hand you over to Graham, should he know more explanation! xxxxx
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you so much Jean! Really appreciate your —and Graham’s— interest and help.

As a matter of fact I’m quite aware of the international audio and video synchronization problems because —while wearing my Chemical Engineering cap— I was head of an experimental audio-visual teaching unit at the National University of Mexico around the 70s and 80s and we were in pretty close contact with the Open University of the UK, at the time when a lot of technical developments and appalling changes were taking place; Sony U-matic, Beta, VCR , VHS , Laser Discs, and the great analog to digital revolution included —but to name a few.

On the other hand, as a musician and music producer I’ve been lucky enough to have lived through a lot of the experimenting and pioneering stages music has gone through, form our first mono demo in 1959 to some of the latest “Pro-Tools” plug-ins, as well as the myriad Millennial toys, now standard gear in most so called “intelligent [?] phones”. [Wow, just realized how old I’m getting, LOL!]

It’s fascinating how so many of those analog pioneering experiments have trickled into our everyday music production language —splicing, slap-back echo, flanging, and so on and on— in spite of they all now being totally digital FX.

Re: the “Should We Tell Him” video, it’s strange that so far this has been the one and only old TV show video I’m aware of that has been sped-up to chipmunk-quality out-of-sync audio. As you can see, the un-restored —lousy quality image— video has the original audio —standard union musician corny horn section included. Therefore I doubt very much that it was for technical reasons that it was sped-up.

I’m afraid that the avalanche of technical advances will allow more and more un-talented silly wannabes to tamper with the so carefully designed artistic output of whole teams of real capable professionals...

There's a “Don’t Blame Me” video in which they have also substituted the original audio with the obviously out-of-sync CD sound, but at least they didn’t alter the pitch!

FAKE AUDIO

REAL AUDIO

Another case is the most over-produced [preposterous nylon string guitar fills and chorus!] version of “It’s All Over” having been —very sloppily— "spliced" [around the 02:05 mark] to make it almost twice as long. In my opinion that is NOT the way the author [Mr. Don Everly], and the whole team of the artists, producers, sound engineers, publishers, musicians, et al wanted it to be, or else they would have recorded and issued it like that. Let Mr. Eric Tielman play the CD twice, or a hundred times, one after the other [as we ALL used to do as teenagers], or loop it up to eternity if he so wishes , but please DO NOT alter the work of others!!!!!!!!

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR RECENT FORUM POST

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR OLDER FORUM POST & DON'S COMMENT ON SONG BEING OVER-PRODUCED

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR ANOTHER OLD FORUM POST OF SAME SONG

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR YET ANOTHER OLD FORUM POST

PS, It's definitely Phil...

LOL! ;D

Thanx again Jean & Graham!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I asked hubby Graham not to go into great depth as it’s our forum! However, I think you Ricardo and Graham would have a lot to talk about!
xxxxx
Post 19 IP   flag post
Fascinating, educational, interesting what they used to do to things, still do to things, perhaps not in the most perfect sense, for whatever reason, so thanks to all for the interesting technology, systems, video thingees, speeds up, syncs,...... regardless, The Everly brothers are the best and they with their everlasting hundreds of songs will live on forever in whatever format...some YouTube things are too loud, too soft, etc., but life goes on in this imperfect world and we all have our special ways of listening to Don & Phil. I was in heaven as I sang along from the vinyl records on a record player with mono sound and everyone knew that all the artists lip-synced on American Bandstand, except for that occasional live act of one that I think may have been Jerry Lee Lewis in NYC (advertised by Beech Nut Chewing Gum), I think he might have jumped on the piano and/or set in on-fire, or maybe that was Little Richard. Little did the world know that STYX, Queen, Nine Inch Nails, Ozzy Osborne, Boy George, Goth, was yet to come......Victorian parents thought the world was coming to an end with their young people doing "strange dances and immodestly dressing!" HA! Sorry, I'm still back in the Ricky Nelson days. I know it. Sorry.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Well said Craig!! I know that I haven't got the musical knowledge of Ricardo, or the technical knowledge of Jean's husband, but I only posted the clip because I liked seeing Don and Phil from the early days, regardless of the quality of the recording.
Post 21 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with being stuck in the Ricky Nelson days Craig.
Loads of great music from that era.
Although I was too young to enjoy it 1st time around I soon caught up with it through radio, vinyl etc.
Like you Liz I'm not technical either but was fascinated by Jeanroberts' explanation & description of how things were done..
Thank you all ..
Post 22 IP   flag post
Liz58, If you didn't post these archived films whatever the state. We would have a lot less to talk about! As Lizzie is happy to state, we become a little wiser as to how these things were done back in the days.....we'll all be experts if you carry on posting! I thank you! xxxxx
Post 23 IP   flag post
Exactly, regardless of anything, it's all simply lessons to learn, an interesting education, if you will. Regardless, we all enjoy.

With love & best wishes to all, Craig
Post 24 IP   flag post
Y'all are the best. I watched an old Mickey Rooney film last night, i was tired and needed a "Love Finds Andy Hardy" fix via You Tube and I could see how the lips and wording were off, but really didn't care as I drifted off to 1938.
Post 25 IP   flag post
54365 25 25
destitute