The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Sorry, don't know how to cut out the other sections, but some of his other choices are great too. He was just lovely too, in the Harmonies From Heaven DVD, he was clearly influenced by Don and Phil....he made quite a go with his own career, both with the Hollies and Crosby, Stills and Nash ( and Young)📀 📀❤❤
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Some great choices there. His autobiography Wild Tales is an interesting read.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
I read the autobiography and it was very interesting! G Nash has a tendency to name drop a bit but if you know all these "celebs" [hate that word but you know what I mean] you might want to talk about them too!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with DeeDee Graham can boast a bit. My friend our fan club president was photos editor on a UK publication called Fab 208, actually a lot of the pics we see on this Web site are down to them (her). We were hanging out in Sheena's office Graham said to me should he cut this strip of Billy Fury pics up , I said do what you want, I tnought he was being a bit of a twerp - Sheena came back and lost the plot and went balistic - Graham said she ie me had told him to do it. So my love & love and memory when it cones to Graham is difficult to me!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Why would he want to cut Billy Fury’s pictures up? Billy was one of my teenage idols and my friend and I had an encounter with him in 1961 or 1962. We both thought he was a lovely person, very shy but very charismatic.

Yes from reading the book Graham does seem very much in love with himself. I believe Alan Clarke is just the opposite
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
I actually don't know, I thought it strange at the time and still do. I too liked Billy Fury can remember writing his name on my ruler at school. After the Alma Cogan Show though I gave him up, Marty Wilde and a few others too. Couldn't like anyone else after that, just Don and Phil all the way. I never met Billy Fury but I did see him walking down Shaftesbury Avenue in the mid 60's but never had the courage to speak to him. I did get to meet Marty Wilde and he was very nice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Kathy we chickened out of speaking to him too. We were on holiday in London and there used to be something called The Radio Show at Earls Court. We were so excited when we found out Billy was appearing - it was when Halfway To Paradise was huge. We queued up for ages to get to stand at the front and it was very hot. The show started and my friend fainted, some men lifted her up and disappeared with her. I was only 17 and panic stricken. I grabbed her handbag which she had dropped and went through a door at the side of the stage which led to the back. I had only gone a few steps and walking towards me was Billy. He disappeared through a door which I went in because I figured out it led to back stage. My friend was sat in there being looked after by an actress called Mandy Miller. Billy was sat right opposite us and Mandy kept saying go over and talk to him but we were both too shy, we were staring at him and he was staring at us. After a few minutes Billy was called on stage and our chance was gone for ever. 😒
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I saw Billy Fury perform in Sheffield with my husband. He had a great voice. My brother who is a Billy fan always mentions that he never saw him, yet I did!
Post 8 IP   flag post
We also saw him many times in the shows that Larry Payne’s did with lots of boys with the names he had created for them coming on stage for a few numbers. Billy was usually top of the bill, I think he was one of Larry Parnes’ favourites. As you say Chris he had a great voice and his heart was in the blues which he wanted to sing but Larry insisted he did the romantic/pop songs. There is a lovely statue of him at The Albert Dock in Liverpool and my friend Jean and I (who fainted) talked about going up to see it but sadly her health was declining and now she is no longer with us. I miss her so much, and also our other friend Lynda who passed away suddenly 7 years ago. Lynda loved Marty Wilde and also Phil. I still have the memories but miss them both so much.
Post 9 IP   flag post
When we go to Liverpool we visit the dock to see the Billy Fury statue when my brother goes to Liverpool he always says he has to pay his respects to Bill's statue. He has met Bill's mother several times. She outlived both her son's. I know a vinyl shop owner who was something to do with the music business before he retired into the vinyl side if things. He knew Billy, his brother who sang and managers he always has stories to tell. I will be seeing him quite soon again.
My brother booked Marty Wilde and Joe Brown to appear at his rock n roll nights he organised for years for charity.
They were both very good and still touring.
Post 10 IP   flag post
oldrosie private msg quote post Address this user
hi gang loved all your responses and inf been busy but do love to read your comments
Post 11 IP   flag post
I will get there to see Billy’s statue one day. How sad that his mother has outlived both her sons. I think she put Billy’s heart problems down to him having rheumatic fever as a child. Of course smoking tobacco and something else didn’t help his health.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Jane, did Billy's dad have heart problems too? I am not sure if I read that or not. Maybe Bill's Wikipedia page might say.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Chris I haven’t seen anything on Albert senior, Billy’s father, other than he got Billy a job working on the tug boats which is where he started listening to American music, mainly Country and Western. Billy’s brother Albert junior did have a milder version of the heart disease that Billy had. Jean, Billy’s mother, claimed he contracted rheumatic fever from getting soaked in rain when he was rescuing an injured bird. However, it is stated that you can’t get rheumatic fever this way and it is the result of a childhood virus. Despite his huge earnings which were mismanaged by Larry Parnes resulting in Billy’s bankruptcy he was unable to afford private health care for his heart disease and was treated under the NHS. He looked skeletal in his last years and was clearly not getting proper care and treatment. Despite ill health he was forced to tour for financial reasons; my friend saw him at her local social club, a very small venue, which is a far cry from his glory days. A very sad end but not unusual in those days.
Post 14 IP   flag post
That is so sad to read he was singing in social clubs most likely working men's clubs. He had been one of the best singers around too.☹
Post 15 IP   flag post
54365 15 15
destitute