The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

On The Wings Of A Nightingale for LizzieB7690

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
My brother used to organise rock n roll nights for heath related funds because he works in a hospital, he is 74 now and hopes to retire this October. It was once a month for 20 years he raised thousands of pounds and had presentations from health officials and from Cliff Richard down in London. At least 400 tickets were sold each month. Two live groups and a DJ filled in between sets. That is when I saw Marty Wilde and Joe Brown. Jiving was the main dance seeing one doctor jive was a hoot for some of the nurses!!
There was the walking cross over dance the odd twist dance and an Indian dance to 'Running Bear' my brother in full headdress.
Some people jiving must have had some professional dance lessons they were so good.
My brother stopped the nights when he was 65 but he still goes out to venues all over to watch rock n roll bands and of course to jive. He has some great energy and can still kick his leg up high. At the end of his last jive he throws his partner to the left then right then through his legs. Rock n roll is still very much alive you just need to know where to go.
Post 26 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
The Jive looked the greatest of fun & I would have loved to have been able to do it.
I did enjoy the twist though- even up to just a few years ago.
My Dad bless him - 90 years old, only just last year said he had been doing a jive!!
Sadly slowed down a little with back problems. I think I need to get a hula hoop Joy-
have a practice then go head to head with the young ones!
Well done you Joy. Not tried Hula hoop in years.
Post 27 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
@ChrisW
Great post Chris.
Sounds amazing & your brother did really well organising all these fundraisers.
As you say It's knowing where to find these venues.
We have a great little Theatre in town & a friend & I support it when we can.
Mixture of Tribute bands & some the real thing.
But Rock 'N Roll is kept alive through the musical performers.
We have an Everly Tribute & Friends tribute show coming.
It doesn't say who's doing it.
I love Live Music .
Beach Boys tribute on Saturday I'm going to.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I have a hula hoop too. It is something I like to do it helps my back pain.I used to get undressed as a young girl whilst doing It!! Those were the days!! 🤣
Post 29 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
ChrisW! Your brother sounds a real live wire! Sounds as though there wouldn't have been such a lot of fun without him running the show! Great times? xxx
Post 30 IP   flag post

He is Jean. He wears all the gear too including beetle crushes and the thin tie which I know has a proper name. He dances with as many on the night as he can. He is very out going and a good organiser. We all go to Liverpool in April each year if we can. See Billy Fury statue and then onto an afternoon venue for rock n roll. Then the cavern in the evening. The coach is usually full each year. They are great times.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Your brother is the same age as me Chris. He has good taste if he likes Billy. Ask him if he remembers The Stroll. We used to go to a place on a Saturday afternoon where there was a dance floor. It was very dark and we had to depend on the juke box for the music. We used to line up across the dance floor and do The Stroll. The place had a bad reputation and our parents told us not to go there but such are teenagers, the temptation of the music and the dancing was too much. Happy times and our parents never found out.

A few years ago we went to a concert where Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry were performing. Many of the audience were dressed in the rock ‘n’ roll gear - the women in full skirts with many underskirts and the men dressed as you have described your brother’s outfit. I think they were called bootlace ties.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Ha ha I remember the stroll Preceded line dancing ??!! Xx❤️❤️
Post 33 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose it was Joy. It didn’t last long as I recall.
Post 34 IP   flag post
They used to do the Stroll too Jane at those great rock and roll nights. We all used to take our mother along too. She was in her late 70's then she liked to watch everyone dance and lots came over to our table to talk to her. About 8 of our cousins travelled 60 or 70 miles to come for the nights too. Most of them now are not too well so those nights were special. One group who didn't perform on those occasions but they did after at a big party for my brothers 70th in a club which he paid for it all to repay everyone who had supported him during his fund raising years. This was 2014 March and I asked the group to play an Everly song, After a few minutes they sang two then later in the evening they sang 'Let it be me' it was a lovely ending just how the boys liked to finish their concerts. It was still a bit raw for me at that time only a few weeks after Phil's passing.
Post 35 IP   flag post
52337 35 10
destitute