Post 2 IP   flag post
bert private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAzssBlvkg
Post 3 IP   flag post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrjf5iVmw-Q
Post 4 IP   flag post
There are some more, also Sue Tompson with "Till I kissed you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Very entertaining Bert, I know we like to see EB photos but these are a refreshing change. I have seen one similar a while ago but I don't remember the song to bring it up here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
These are all fabulous, Bert. Thanks! There are a lot of them on YouTube with all of the stupendous, timeless EB songs set to all kinds of scenes, people, the famous great actors / performers from the past. I like "Carol Jane" written by country performer-composer Dave Rich (he did some with Hank Garland, Chet Atkins, Floyd on the piano, et al, in the background group). "It's Everly Time" was out in March 1960, first album for WB by The EB and the best of all time imho. 58 years ago this month. 2 or 2 1/2 minute tunes / songs that make such a strong impression on one's spirit. Here we are talking about and listening to them, still.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglhope
58 years ago this month. 2 or 2 1/2 minute tunes / songs that make such a strong impression on one's spirit. Here we are talking about and listening to them, still.

That is what I cannot get my head around at times Craig, how many years have passed since we first heard these songs and yes we are still talking about them and playing the music. Long may we continue to do so.
Post 8 IP   flag post
So fascinating, Chris. You are spot on. I'm 74 years old, born September, 1943 in Philadelphia, PA, but still stuck in Junior High School and High School, I guess, exactly at the Elvis - Everly Brother - yes, Pat Boone (sorry) days and nobody has topped Don & Phil for me and I've listened to and heard everything from 1956 through the eighties and nineties. "Who's Gonna Drive Ya' Home Tonight," "Just Another Manic Monday".... catchy, good tunes from all decades....'Chuck", Buddy H., early Stones rockers, I think Gerry's "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" is great, but something about the 'strange' folk-country-rockabilly 'sound' of Don & Phil's harmony. It was either Paul Simon or Bob Dylan who said that it was 'strange, sad, alien, superb...it catches you and hooks you. We all started out on it and tried to match it.' Amen.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice to see these clips bert! Amazing how well the clip and songs match so well! I wonder did the same person put these together? Thank you so much for posting them for us! xxx
Post 10 IP   flag post
Carole_Jeannie private msg quote post Address this user
"It's Everly Time" (along with "Roots"are two of my favourite albums. When I bought IET I was divorced but still using my married name, which was Janes. You can imagine that whenever I played "Carol Jane" it was as though the boys were singing to me!! Love those guys.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Craig, what you say about the 'strange' folk-country-rockabilly
'sound' of Don and Phil's harmony... As a young teenager back then, it was like nothing I had ever heard before. It was an indescribable sound and grabbed me from the very beginning. As their voices matured they lost the uniqueness of that early sound but remained at the very top of their singing powers.

Bert thank you for posting, I have seen the 'Always It's You' clip before but not the others. Very pleasant. xx
Post 12 IP   flag post
Precisely. They had that "something." Seems there is some type of fate-luck-destiny-chance.....1956, 1957, scads of young pop-rock singers, but 'fate' selects some it seems...right place / right time..."Col". Tom Parker a huckster from Holland seeing Presley perform for the first time, early rock band Bill Haley & The Comets from Chester,PA...."Rock Around the Clock" and "Jingle Bell Rock"..right sound and that right early American Bandstand moment, Chet Atkins and Don producing that Bo Diddley riff at the beginning of "B B Love," and "Wake Up Little Susie," and having The Bryants bring their magic to the table, Brian Epstein seeing The Beatles perform for the first time...get rid of the black leather jackets, put on stylish suits, grow your hair longer, comb it forward, Bob Dylan - Flower Power Hippie-San Francisco-start of the Anti-Vietnam-"War" movement...........intriguing, indeed. Plus, our fate-luck of being at the dawn of R & R...I was 14. if I was 4, or 34, it wouldn't have been the same at all....as Danny Zouco (John Travolta) sings in "Grease", "But, oh,h,h, those Summer Nights." I'm 74. But, can-will be still be enamoured listening to "Carol Jane' when I'm 84.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm with Craig....being at the dawn of R'n'R ! It was the greatest thing that happened in my life as teenager. In the late fifties early sixties we did not have radio stations in Holland that played R&R music or music shows on TV. When the weather was 100% OK we could listen to radio London in England ( distance 300 miles)and that didn't happen very often. Radio Luxemburg, which was much closer, played in the weekend a R'n'R Top 10 ncl. the latest releases from the US and England. Later on we found out that also on Saturday afternoon a station in Belgium with a super DJ (for us) was playing 2 hours of R'n'R music. So the weekend was a busy period 'cause we taped all the new songs on a Revox A77 Taperecorder. After recording we ( my younger brother and me) could play it day after day and could learn the songs play on our guitars. Lyrics was something else of course for two young Dutch teenagers. We had to stop the Revox a "thousand" times and try to figure out what was sung and that wasn't an easy job in some songs. Later on two music magazines published the top 10 lyrics and new releases every months, that made it somewhat easier for us. Hearing that guitar intro of Bye Bye Love made me switch from piano to guitar and changed my life.
Post 14 IP   flag post
What a wonderful, outstanding, memoir-history, Bert! Exciting. In '56 and '57 the NYC, Phila., Los Angeles radio stations had their first rock 'n' roll DJ's. It was WIBG in Phila. with Hy Lit and Joe Niagara and we early teens were hooked that one Spring-Summer day when one kid had his transistor radio playing in front of our houses, the trees were freshly awakening, plants were coming alive, we were playing handball in the small, lush, suburban street and here comes this new song from two guys who billed themselves as The Everly Brothers. "Bye, Bye Love." We listened and the rest is history. "Hey, that's a cool sounding song. Let's take the trolley car to 69th St. and buy that 45 at Krall's Record Shop!" The girls were more mature and ready to dance, while some of us guys were more chicken-livered to get up the nerve to ask them to dance, even though they would have said yes in two seconds. Then American Bandstand with Dick Clark at the WFIL-TV Studio at 46th & Market Sts. in West Philadelphia and the rest is history. "Roll over, Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news." I went to Bandstand once and by some miracle got in, sat in the bleacher seats, my mouth agape at the lights, the TV cameras....fell in love with pretty-beyond-belief, Arlene Sullivan....went home, fell asleep that night dreaming of her, while listening to Jean Shepherd, a radio raconteur on WOR radio out of The Big Apple, New York City. Over a decade later, one more of those once in a lifetime moments, heard Don & Phil do "Lord of the Manor" at The Bitter End coffee house down in the Village in NYC and finally a couple of years later meeting and talking with them before they went on stage at The Mann Music Center in Fairmount Park in West Philadelphia...I stood there with them as they were introduced and walked out onto the large stage. Closest I ever got to the world of rock 'n' concerts. Then again, there were those Atlantic City Steel Pier Shows, now let me tell ya' about the time...........
Post 15 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Bert and Craig, I didn't have such a breathtaking time as both of you but we were so lucky to have lived through the beginning of those incredible years. My actual teens didn't commence till 1959 as I was ten years old in 1956. However I had older siblings and was immersed in all the early rock and roll music through them. I remember listening to Radio Luxemberg, I think that was the first radio station that I was aware of. My parents weren't too keen on us playing "that dreadful caterwauling" on their radiogram, so my big sister bought a dansette record player and bought and played records 45's, EP's and LP's of Buddy H, Don and Phil, The Platters, Bill Haley, Roy Orbison, The Coasters, Elvis, The Drifters and many many more including a little later, the Beach Boys, just to name a few from that glorious time. My brother had a Grundig Tape recorder and so we had a wealth of Rock and Roll music throughout the house. Some of my older siblings offered for me to go to a Bob Dylan concert, back in the sixties and I refused. Incredibly my Mother went and came home a little dazed! Actually I am not a fan of his but nevertheless I should have gone just for the experience. We live and learn! ❤️❤️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Wow. Mr. Zoellner who lived a few doors up the street had a Grundig radio. It lasted forever it seemed. His mother was from Germany. Like you, Roxy, I don't get excited over Bob Dylan, but would go to just about any concert for anyone from 1957 to 1965, just to look, 'feel,' sense, see, observe, the goings-on. Heck, I liked Herman's Hermits when I saw them. My cousin said that she couldn't hear a thing at The Beatles Concert at Convention Hall next to the University of Pennsylvania on Spruce Street in 1964 (1965?) because of the screaming, fainting, hysterics. They were taking the fainting girls on stretchers to Pennsylvania General Hospital across the street.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Nice to read all the stories how we "got Involved" in R'n'R music. I grew up in the South of Holland , 2 miles from the German border and 3 miles from the Belgium border.In the mid sixties there was another radio station that became very interesting for me : AFN Frankfurt! In 1972 I saw the Everly's for the first time live. They came to my hometown and did promote "Pass The Chicken and Listen"in their show. I met them briefly after the show in their hotel next to the town theater. Did not have a clue at that moment, that later on I would meet Phil in his house in LA,that he would give Steinegger an OK for making me an Ike Everly Guitar, that he would take care for my back stage passes after the Reunion Concert, that I went to visit Margaret many times and that Don, who I also visited and met before and after concerts introduced me to Albert Lee from whom I bought a Gibson Everly Brothers guitar for my collection. I talked with Don and Phil about starting my Gibson Everly Brothers Owners Club and both liked the idea gave me an OK. Amazing ... I've seen them in Holland,Belgium,Germany and England when on Tour and slept many times in the same hotel and sat on the bar with them or band members.In the nineties in Amsterdam Hilton suddenly we had a party after the gig, when Albert Lee started playing the piano and we all started singing Irish pub songs. At 2 am we were asked to stop making noise, haha. In the eighties or nineties, don't remember, my company was one of the concert sponsors for a concert in the South of Holland were I lived. The concert was in a big building, with large sliding doors and concrete floor so I got the idea to drive Don and Phil to the stage in an open 59 Cadillac and to have on both sides of the stage 1 jukebox and 1 Harley's .I called Phil to see if he liked the idea, he laughed said Why not.But I got no permission from the Fire Department to do it...I have a lot of super memories and always felt very very privileged . Great guys !
Post 18 IP   flag post
Wow, Bert, you put me to shame. What an amazing and wealth of fine, history! Thank you. You are a third Everly Brother, indeed. But, everyone on this great site is a close, close fan of Don & Phil, no matter what one's 'contact' is or has been. We all have our precious 'connection,' somehow, someway.

Best to all and those great sounds from "back in the day." It's always a beautiful 'Summer's day' in one's soul when listening to those heavenly sounds.
Post 19 IP   flag post
52988 19 19
destitute