The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Sorry about the ad at the beginning of this, don't know how to delete it. Nice piece, describing attending Reunion concert rehearsal ( via the late Martin Jenner).
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
It's so great to collate as much as we can, and to be told about The Everly's still! As I don't suppose we will hear too much now. Although, those close to them must have great stories they can tell. even if it is not always sweet! I'd like the truth warts an' all! Because they are real people, it's not a fairy story, it's a success story about two real living brothers who had an amazing gift?
Thank you Liz! xxxxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Liz that is brilliant that you found a new piece on Phil's passing. It still affects me, I know it shouldn't but I was there from the first song so I have known the Everly Brothers for 61 years and Phil was my pin up from a very early age. I still get a lump in my throat when I think of him not being here. I see the videos and it is still hard to believe he is not with us. Goodness only knows how his family cope, he was such a good strong character, he had so much love to give and we all loved him back, he has certainly made his mark on this earth.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Their voices were unique and they were breathtakingly handsome.
Thank you for posting Liz, it is always good to hear something new.xx
Post 4 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Liz and thank you Chris. Couldn’t have summed it up better myself He was just wonderful xx❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
Phil's passing still effects me too Chris! I also know if it had been Don who had passed first. Phil would have been with Don before hand by his side and at his funeral! After several months Phil would have been in the press telling everyone how wonderful his brother was, how talented as a singer and song writer. He'd have made sure we never forgot him!

We are all different! Don has a problem with funerals, He went to their father's funeral it's true. I'll bet he was only just sober! So sad this was during their split! This was a time they should have been comforting each other! Phil must have been with Patricia and their son Christopher. Don was likely with Karen! Phil no doubt was concerned for their mother, who must have been deeply upset!

Although the press never forget to report the brothers were estranged again when Phil died. I hope things were nothing like as bad as the 1973 - 1983 split! Don in a documentary two years after Phil had passed, told how he and Phil never got on! Their views on politics and life greatly differed! He looked haunted when he said "It's been 18 months?....2 years now? I miss him!"

Don, such a complex character! Two such gifted brothers! xxxxx
Post 6 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Don appeared to think Phil was ???? for having different politics to him, which Phil was totally entitled to have, I didn't like that when Don said it. Don went to Ike's he probably should have been at Phil's funeral, unless he was discouraged to go from someone, who knows.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I agree with you Chris. I have a very good friend who doesn’t speak to her sister but I’m sure she would attend her funeral and pay her respects when the time comes xx❤️❤️
Post 8 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
My sister hasn't spoken to any of us in 17 years even though we live only 15 minutes apart. She has skipped all family funerals.The rest of the family was so sure she'd come, but I know her and was sure she wouldn't. And she didn't.

So everyone is different.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes Redhead, we are all different! Funerals of someone deeply loved can be so unbearable as to make one quite unwell having to attend!

For Don Everly, having to face his ex wife Venitia and their three offspring and grandchildren, at Phil's funeral, would likely make him stay miles away. Especially as he knew how much Phil was loved by them all!

It's all such a sad business! I've often said Don was his own worst enemy! I feel sure Phil never stopped loving Don even when Don was deeply unkind to Phil! xxx
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

In my sister's case she wants to forget any of us exist. Her kids tell me she lives in denial of everything and has even cut almost all of her friends out of her life as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ooh! so sorry to hear about the problem your family has with your sister! What on earth happened 17 years ago?
No! not expecting an answer Redhead! I suppose problems and disagreements go so far sometimes that nobody knows how to bring things back to how they were before whatever happened, happened! Maybe one day, something will go click and things will all fall back into place! xxxxx
Post 12 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

What happened is my mother died. Seems every family has that one person who holds everything together and if they are gone everything falls apart. Nothing horrible happened but my sister is one who blows things out of proportion and mom used to talk her down. She was the only one who could talk to her. With mom gone she just went off the rails completely. She isn't mentally stable, never was, and refuses to seek help.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Oh! Redhead! I'm so, so sorry to hear this! It sounds as though she couldn't come to terms with the loss and your mother not being at home ever again! Do you think she sooo could not bear life and the home without your mother she therefore left to forget she ever had a mother and siblings! Maybe the pain did not feel so bad this way!

Grief is different for each of us! Most siblings know we need each other and will be there for which ever one of us falls! Your sister must have been in a very bad place, whether it showed or not!

Maybe getting help seems impossible for your sister as she knows she will have to talk about losing your mother, she likely can't do this! So she has almost caused herself to loose her identity!

The fact that she hasn't moved much further away, does rather show
her vulnerability. Somewhere in her head that is not completely locked, dwells a tortured being that she is afraid to let loose!

Redhead, I may of course well be very wrong! If maybe I'm right, one day something may cause your sister to break down and grieve like your mother has just died that very day!

Thinking of you with love! Thankfully to many if us, music is our strength and escape! God Bless. xxxxx
Post 14 IP   flag post
No, she was married with kids of her own when mom died. She has just always been one to blow things out of proportion so every little thing that happened that my mom would have been able to diffuse took on monumental proportions in my sister's head. She cried for weeks when my dad forgot her birthday .... never once giving a thought to the fact that dad NEVER remembered any of our birthdays and mom was the one who did and would tell dad. Things like that.

I don't think she'll ever come a round, I've tried many times and she refuses to speak to me. Her kids (now in their 20s and 30s) tell me she doesn't even want our names spoken nor does she want to be reminded of my mom and dad (now also dead.) She divorced and that made it even worse as she then cut off all of the family from her husband's side of the family as well. She just lives in a little bubble of denial and is quite miserable. She even stopped talking to her own daughter because she committed the grave 'sin' of not inviting her out to breakfast after church one Sunday. So you see, she really is not stable.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Oh that’s so sad for all of your family Redhead. Your sister must be so very lonely but if that’s how she wants to be there’s not a lot you can do xx❤️❤️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks, Joyb.
Post 17 IP   flag post
So very sorry Redhead! I can see what a hopeless problem this is for you! Do you have other siblings? Is your sister with her husband or partner! Your sisters children seem to talk to you, thankfully, so nice for them to have someone like you around to confide in! I'm sure you like seeing them too!

You take care of yourself, you sound a very capable person and it's always nice to see you on the forum! Love to you! xxxxx
Post 18 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

Ahhhh, my family .... no, my brother doesn't speak to me or her and when dad was alive didn't speak to him either. We were never a close knit family and mom was really the one that kept it together so it fell apart when she died.

My sister's kids speak to me NOW, but my sister kept me away from them for years and threatened them with disownment if they contacted me as adults. It's only been in the last few years that they've come around. I didn't even recognize them as it was 15 years since I'd seen them.

I asked them recently if their mom knows they see me from time to time and was told she said she has no issues with me, but that she'd disown them if they spoke to our brother. I don't know what's up with her there.

She divorced then got back together with a boyfriend from her high school days and lived with him. Then I discovered that he was abusive to her (verbally, mentally and emotionally.) She finally left him and is bouncing between living with my nephew for 6 months and my niece and her husband and son for 6 months. I don't think that's fair to them, but ... They both tell me they feel like they've raised her instead of the other way around.

I do love coming to this forum! It's nice to find like minded people who love the Everlys as much as I do. None of my peers can understand my love for any artists who aren't from our generation, but good music is good music no matter when it was made.
Post 19 IP   flag post
You sound a very together person Redhead! You keep that way! I'm glad to know you sister's offspring talk to you, they must feel thankful to talk to someone close who is so level headed!

As to music! I agree, music has no boundaries with me! I've belonged to the 'Mozart forum' for a good number of years and my favourite film is still. 'Amadeus' the directors cut! despite misgivings on the way Mozart is portrayed at times, it's a masterpiece! The actors are outstanding and the film deserved all the aclaim and Oscars it received! In my opinion!

xxxxx
Post 20 IP   flag post
I loved Amadeus, too!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Great minds think alike Redhead! xxx
Post 22 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Nice little clip Liz. Thank you.
I haven't seen this one before.. Nice work !
Post 23 IP   flag post
52988 23 23
destitute