The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

Ok, i admit i put this one on because i liked the photo, and the sweaters they are wearing!!
We are all needing sweaters galore here in Scotland, due to the truly awful weather. Snow snow snow and more snow...no buses here in Edinburgh, schools and some shops closed...idiots driving with no lights on, and so on.
I hope that the police and the street pastors are gathering in those who , sadly, sleep on the streets , into shelters- we are ok, with central heating, but my late Mum used to work with her church group for the homeless, and she saw the suffering it causes. Sorry for the rant about the weather, but tomorrow is the first day of Spring, ha ha ha!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Liz58 -

I was going to say the entire video has great photos! Thanks for posting!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Liz great song and wonderful photos quite a few I’ve not seen before.
It must be awful for the poor people surviving on the streets can’t imagine as we nearly all have central heating ours is rammed up to high and on constant. It’s a Victorian house must have been very cold before C H. We still have draughty sash windows though. Xx❤️❤️
Post 3 IP   flag post
bert private msg quote post Address this user

Sweater time
Post 4 IP   flag post
supagrab private msg quote post Address this user
the jumper pictures are gorgeous, 2 beautiful models
Post 5 IP   flag post
supagrab -

Why do Brits call sweaters jumpers? I've always wondered that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Haha Redhead we have so many differences but most the same. A sweater and a jumper are one and the same thing also same as a pullover. I know the US call a jumper a dress for a girl. A waistcoat on a man say under his suit jacket or those that Phil wore over a shirt I know that US call them vests. Vests to us in the UK are an undergarment which you wear under a shirt or T shirt if you suffer from the cold and feel the need for one.

I have a US son in law and believe me we can have quite a laugh at the differences. Maybe Supagrab will also reply.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ChrisW -

My all time favorite soap opera is East Enders. It took me almost 2 full months of watching before I could understand what some of the characters were saying!
Post 8 IP   flag post
anything with buttons is a cardigan; a sweater is something, usually with a round neck, that is considered thich/heavy enough to replace a jacket/coat.a jumper is a lightweight sweater, or cardigan. it's more of a generic name. I hope that clears things up
Post 9 IP   flag post
supagrab -

Thanks for the reply. We will continue to be a language of commons and uncommons as far as American and British English goes!
Post 10 IP   flag post
😂😂😂😂😂
Post 11 IP   flag post
A Cardigan would button up or zipper as in the photos from Bert ie Green, blue and red ones.

My brother who was really into rock 'n' roll as a teenager and still is to this day still going to venues where they all play. He uses a word 'ganzy' have I spelt it correct, not sure? That was a jumper too. I think I need to Google this to see what is said about the name.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ganzie is actually a Shetland word but also used in North East Scotland. A Woollen jumper.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I could use a lot of them, by any name, as it's cold here in Minnesota!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
My all time favorite soap opera is East Enders. It took me almost 2 full months of watching before I could understand what some of the characters were saying!

I would also need subtitles if I watched it Redhead.

I live in the north of England and we have a dialect all of our own just like any other place does and I guess they find it hard to understand us too!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
ChrisW -

The same thing happened to me when I went to college in New Orleans. That is like a different planet down there. I didn't know what anyone was saying for quite a while. They all called me Yankee Gal.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It's good to stand out too, when my US son in law lived over here everyone wanted him to say anything and he would say "anything". He worked at a high school for a while and the girls would giggle none stop when he spoke. Now they are living in San Francisco it is the other way around. One day they may come back to the UK but I know it won't be for a good while.
Post 17 IP   flag post
When I lived in Switzerland everyone thought I was English since many can't discern the difference between American and British accents, as I can't tell the difference between regional Swiss accents. Plus, England is much closer to Switzerland than America so it makes sense that they'd think I was English.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Just checked with my husband, who is from rural Aberdeenshire here in Scotland, and a ganzie is a jumper/sweater/pullover/jersey. I particularly liked the photo of Don and Phil in cowl-necks , as our son had a beautiful brown and green one when he was little, that he looked so cute in,as he is a red head, that I've been hooked on that style ever since...sad, but true.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Do you not mean a shawl collar liz as the boys are wearing in the photo. I think a cowl neck is as a ladies garment that drapes in folds Whatever they are wearing they look adorable xx❤️❤️
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yes Joy, you're right, shawl neck is what I meant,( and i like cowl necks too)
Post 21 IP   flag post
52988 21 21
destitute