The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

The Everly,s - Nothing Matters But You7417

bert private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBhTWV_mjzA&feature=share
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Oh Bert. Such a beautiful song really pulls at the heart strings. Could play it over and over. Thank you xx❤️❤️
Post 2 IP   flag post
One of those (many) forgotten gems Joyb. Most people know the Everly's because of their first string of hits and that's it. Even a good friend of mine who had a string of records shops in Holland, is stunned when I play these Everly songs. I burned a cd for him with LP songs from 60-70-and 80ties and he does not understand why he didn't get any info about Everly releases from the record companies in those days. He never heard of Roots, Stories, etc. Just unbelievable. The only thing he remembers from the Everly in the eighties is the single "On the wings....", but he never knew that they recorded the albums EB 84, Born Yesterday, Some Hearts. Just explain me why you sign a contract with artist, have them recorded and album and do such a lousy promo job ?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Bert -

I've said it before but it bears repeating: I don't think the Everlys have ever been truly appreciated for their talent in this life. But like Van Gogh I believe they will be discovered several generations down the line and be hailed as the geniuses they are/were.
Post 4 IP   flag post
supagrab private msg quote post Address this user
Phil has said that there is a wealth of recorded music filed awsy, waiting to be used.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I agree Bert it seems unbelievable that such amazing recordings weren’t promoted enough. There should have been so many more huge hits. We as lifelong fans know of their wonderful songs but a lot of people have only heard the well know ones. I think they were given a raw deal by promoters record companies radio stations and tv. However it doesn’t stop me enjoying their amazing music but it makes me really mad. Xx❤️❤️
Post 6 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Haven't seen you here before supagrab, welcome to the forum 🙂. Hope you will enjoy all the wealth of information, and chats , about Don and Phil.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Bert and Redhead! The dutch record shops owner make sense of why The Everly's albums and records had such a lean time of it during those years! Terrible pity! How maddening to learn this now! I feel so sorry they had such a raw deal when they were releasing such lovely material! 'Wings of a Nighting Gale' well, how did that miss being the big hit it should have been? McCartney fans as well as Everly fans should have cause 'Nightingale' to have swept the board, it was such a good song to say nothing of how well it was performed on record and live performances! xxx
Post 8 IP   flag post
Having heard and watched a ton of videos and songs of their performances on Shindig, Hullabaloo and the like from the 60s and 70s I am convinced if they had better management they'd have been allow to mature in their music as the Beatles did. The Beatles started as a sweet boy band type and were much more mature by the time they called it quits.

The Everlys (in my opinion) had more talent than the Beatles and if they had been managed and promoted properly the audiences would have gone along with them and accepted their changing sound and look.

That is the curse of pioneers: the first ones through the wall get bloody and those coming behind them walk through easier.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Trying to get some recording freedom cost them the Briants. Maybe their later work -post mid sixty's- was down played by the promoters.. . . .
Post 10 IP   flag post
thanks for the welcome😀😀
Post 11 IP   flag post
Have a good time here supagrab
Post 12 IP   flag post
I also think a BIG problem in the sixties were the DJ's. They became very very powerful. In the beginnin' they told little stories about the artist, recording etc and played the song.. In the end they felt very important had their own RadioShow (I never understood that word) and just played what THEY liked after having received some money from the plugger who also was payed very well by publishing companies.

Don't know when this was written:there are about 600 song-pluggers in the U.S.; they have their own union; they are powerful enough to bar all outsiders; and they command fees up to $35,000 a year (worth $322,544 today) plus unlimited expense accounts. Their job is to persuade the record companies to use songs, put out by their publishing houses.

And in the mid sixties The Everly Brothers were still: Those "kid stars" from the fifties and their new work was overlooked.

We had some of these DJ's in Holland, very famous young guys who also had their own "Roadshows" in the weekend. Driving Porches,BMW's, Mercedes etc and they decided what was the Top 10 for next week. Very very powerful.But in my opinion it harmed a lot of artists.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supagrab
Trying to get some recording freedom cost them the Briants. Maybe their later work -post mid sixty's- was down played by the promoters.. . . .

Quite right supagrab! They lost the Bryants when they went to Warner Bros. Don and Phil wrote their own biggest hit 'Cathy's Clown' for Warner Bros. Then they had a big hit with !Walk Right Back' and then 'Temptation'. After these 'Crying in The Rain'. a song so loved by hoards of the record buying public and was so requested! (This was when they had to do a 6 months stint in the US Marines) 'Crying in the Rsin' did well but not another No.1 as the three others were! 'The Price of Love'. reached No.1 or 2 in Britain in 1965!

It's likely some dirty dealing was going on, but we'll never know
unless someone lets 'The Cat Out Of The Bag'! xxx
Post 14 IP   flag post
Bert -

It's a damn shame because I am blown away by their talent. No one on this site would know it from reading my posts but it is nearly *impossible* to get a compliment out of me, yet I gush about the Everlys. This is because I only give a compliment when I really mean it. With them I find far more to compliment and almost nothing to criticize when it comes to their singing and song writing. They're both pretty easy on the eyes as well
Post 15 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi supagrab welcome to the EB forum
peter
Post 16 IP   flag post
Phil111 private msg quote post Address this user
supagarb enjoy here and make your self at home
Post 17 IP   flag post
Phil111 private msg quote post Address this user
supagrab
Post 18 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Supagrab, welcome to the forum. 😀
Post 19 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Bert that is a beautiful song you posted. I thought I had heard pretty much all of the Everly songs over time, but there always seem to be more. xx
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yes bert! The pluggers and DJ's started to rule the roost! Big money was changing hands all the time! Not to mention record companies hiring pluggers who were young lads who would sell themselves to the likes of the BBC in return for their companies record to be plugged on the radio! This all blew up in the Sunday news paper 'The News of the World' What a scandal it was!

So Roxy, we can see what a dive behind the scenes it had all become! What else was going on we never knew of!?
The Everly's said they and their father knew nothing of the business side of music! You sang, played guitar and got paid! The recording business was what they went into and they were used as money making machines, never dreaming they were being worked to almost death by sharks who were all taking a slice of the cake the Everly's were making for the managers promoters etc. Being pumped by Dr. Feelgood with a cocktail of amphetamines until Don didn't know who he was and just wanted to leave this world and almost did!

What a way to treat such talent! xxx
Post 21 IP   flag post
I know it is a shame, but it was the period where others copied them and had more success as the originals ! Later on, much later on, other artists started giving Don and Phil compliments and admitted that they tried to copy them, wanna to sound like them. Guys like Graham Nash, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and many many more are talking with great respect about them. See how many artists these days are recording their songs, complete albums are recorded. Nash once said the whole "Mersey Sound" in England was based on Everly harmony. Yes they get the respect NOW, but they should have been respected more when they were fighting the odds in the sixties. Must have been a terrible time for them. Going into the studio recording album after album, single after single, promoting their new song on TV and knowing....nothing is gonna happen! Even "ROOTS" is overlooked. Now people say it is one of the best Country albums from that decade .....Thanks but y'all should have been awake when these records were released.I'm glad that Don and Phil got a second career after the Reunion and toured the world to open up all these closed eyes. I'm still enjoying listening and playing their songs ....Thanks for the music !
Post 22 IP   flag post
I think it was on the BBC programme Harmonies from Heaven she Paul Gambacinni said the Everlys saved the Warner company as it was losing so much money in the films so they came along with Cathys Clown and that was that xx❤️❤️
Post 23 IP   flag post
it was on that programme, it could be argued that what Warner Brothers have now, at least in the music/records side, can be attributed to the boys
Post 24 IP   flag post
Yes indeed supagrab! Warners could indeed have gone under if it had not been for Don and Phil! Instead it seems these companies were telling the boys they should be grateful for what the companies were doing for them! Never acknowledging what a talent they had on their hands! It's possible music such as The Everly's just wasn't their 'cup of tea'! It does sound a bit like the first company 'Cadence' were a bit amused such music was making such big bucks!? I'm pretty sure they thought it wouldn't last! So almost the very life blood was squeazed from the boys while they were hot property!
xxx
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
I know it is a shame, but it was the period where others copied them and had more success as the originals ! Later on, much later on, other artists started giving Don and Phil compliments and admitted that they tried to copy them, wanna to sound like them. Guys like Graham Nash, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and many many more are talking with great respect about them. See how many artists these days are recording their songs, complete albums are recorded. Nash once said the whole "Mersey Sound" in England was based on Everly harmony. Yes they get the respect NOW, but they should have been respected more when they were fighting the odds in the sixties. Must have been a terrible time for them. Going into the studio recording album after album, single after single, promoting their new song on TV and knowing....nothing is gonna happen! Even "ROOTS" is overlooked. Now people say it is one of the best Country albums from that decade .....Thanks but y'all should have been awake when these records were released.I'm glad that Don and Phil got a second career after the Reunion and toured the world to open up all these closed eyes. I'm still enjoying listening and playing their songs ....Thanks for the music !

Yes bert, it would have helped if we were all awake! However, in our defence, many were working hard bringing up families and The Everly's were a sheer luxury! Once their fans had their families grown up, they had a little more money in their hands to spend on Everly records and are still to this day catching up on what we missed! We suffered the loss as well as the Everly's did! However, as you say, Don and Phil got a second career after their reunion! We were free then to pay for expensive tickets and let our boys know we were here for them!

I'm certainly not having a go at you bert, not a bit! Just a gentle explanation of how ones life especially with children growing up, has to come first!
God Bless xxx
Post 26 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts : By should have been awake I meant not the fans but the record company,the pluggers,the DJ's etc, not us fans. There was no promo of any kind for their albums in Holland .I did not know about the release of their WB LP"s after "Two Sides of an evening". Much later I found out that there were LP's that I never heard of and in the seventies I started buying them, even Roots ! I remember as kid seeing "It's Everly Time" in one of the two records shops we had in my hometown. But I did not have the money to buy it. Three/four times a week I walked to the shop and looked if it was still there and I was oh so glad when it was Sunday and the shop was closed....could not be sold. After havin' worked several Saturdays I finally had the money to buy the LP. I was so thrilled, so happy and I played it over and over again. Happy Days !
Post 27 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Bert the song for the thread "Nothing Matters But You" is one of my favourite songs and from one of my favourite albums. Fantastic song.

There are also so many takes for this song too so imagine constantly singing it in the recording studio and many takes were good enough for the one to be recorded I am sure. They used to stay in the studio recording sometimes until 3am!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Jeanroberts : By should have been awake I meant not the fans but the record company,the pluggers,the DJ's etc, not us fans. There was no promo of any kind for their albums in Holland .I did not know about the release of their WB LP"s after "Two Sides of an evening". Much later I found out that there were LP's that I never heard of and in the seventies I started buying them, even Roots ! I remember as kid seeing "It's Everly Time" in one of the two records shops we had in my hometown. But I did not have the money to buy it. Three/four times a week I walked to the shop and looked if it was still there and I was oh so glad when it was Sunday and the shop was closed....could not be sold. After havin' worked several Saturdays I finally had the money to buy the LP. I was so thrilled, so happy and I played it over and over again. Happy Days !

Oh! bert, Yes I remember the feeling of looking in at The Everly's albums, longing to have the money to buy them! Years later I finally could afford 'A Date with The Everly Brothers' I played it until I could play the other side without turning it over! Oh! the yearning I suffered! Sob! ha! ha! xxx
Post 29 IP   flag post
52988 29 29
destitute