The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
www.wideopencountry.com/gibson-guitar-bankrupt/

Gibson still has a great, great name and does $1 Billion+ sales a year, but some somber business events came to a head and........

Maybe Bert and/or Ricardo would have some thoughts.....
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
I heard that Gibson are in trouble because guitars are no longer "fashionable". When did that happen??? 😨
Post 2 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Good question, MeFloody. They've been around for centuries. Gibson tried some type of Robotic Guitar....probably some kind of 'electronic device' thing, but it didn't male money, apparently.

Also, sorry about the url address..the word guitar in it, should be plural....guitars...

Thx, C.
Post 3 IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
Reported in the Independent as well guys ... fingers crossed it will be avoided.. the statement from Gibson seems hopeful but ... I always loved the sound of the acoustics the boys played.. it was my first real introduction to acoustic guitar.. I had only really heard electric guitar like Chet and Bert Weedon ... so that amazing rhythm that Don and Phil produced blew me away. My son plays acoustic.. but not a Gibson, he is a good player tho!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
My brother is a guitarist/bass guitarist and has played in various groups since the early 60 and has quite a collection of guitars including Fender and an Epiphone bass when they were actually made by Gibson and that. They had introduced an electronic tuning device which wasn’t very good and also had close a couple of their factories one of which had gone on to be successful with another company. So I don’t know but it’s such a shame that an iconic name like Gibson should be in trouble. Xx🎸🎸
Post 5 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Craig, this is loooong overdue. Sorry, but hadn't been able to log in. Trying to catch up though...

As always, money ruining art.

Hope [& almost sure it will] Gibson survives, their legendary L-5s, Les Pauls, J-200, EBs 180s, etc. keep on making us all happy & giving meaning to music.

Recent news:

please click here for link

Post 6 IP   flag post
KDF private msg quote post Address this user
Hi
Here is my take on it and why the guitar industry is not doing as well as it once was

Guitars are reaching critical mass. There must be thousands of them out there
unlike cars they don't fade away and stop working, so people are slowly slowly not buying guitars to the extent they once did and are not selling enough to exceed the rising costs of production

People don't normally throw guitars away

You also have to look at how many kids want a guitar or an X-Box and there is only so much money around

That's just a thought anyway

I think I read an article that Gibson made some bad business decisions

Cheers
KDF
Post 7 IP   flag post
rosiebarm2 private msg quote post Address this user
hi all some good comments -----also the music of today is not the music we use to have=====

rock amd roll is drifting away amd those ballads are long gone

just today it is what they call jive and the music instruments are not being played as most of the new songs, you dont even need music.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAPriori
Craig, this is loooong overdue. Sorry, but hadn't been able to log in. Trying to catch up though...

Hope [& almost sure it will] Gibson survives, their legendary L-5s, Les Pauls, J-200, EBs 180s, etc. keep on making us all happy & giving meaning to music.

Recent news:

Nice to hear from you Ricardo, you’ve been missed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAPriori

Recent news:

Nice to hear from you Ricardo, you’ve been missed.

Thanx, I've missed checking out what you all have to say!

Post 10 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
Well...this is a big subject but from what I have read the main problem with Gibson is that they started buying up other companies and took very large loans to do so and a whole heap of these loans are coming up for imminent repayment and the cash flow is not going to cover them as Gibson have of course spent the money they borrowed and have not made enough provision for the inevitable repayments maybe? That is my understanding from what I read in the business newspapers etc The guitar section of their business seems to be in relatively good shape but is being dragged into the balance sheet which includes other businesses Gibson is involved in which are not doing so well! It was ever thus, how many businesses over expand or diversify into fields they don't know so much about or maybe haven't got the full picture when they take them over! Goodness knows a whole lot of banks who should know much better have done exactly that and look at the mess they got into! Hopefully like the banks, Gibson is too big to fail and will sort out its business interests and get back to what they do best, making guitars! They wasted money on self tuning guitars which required fatter necks to accommodate the mechanisms a couple of years back and which were not popular so must have been an expensive mistake perhaps? Gibson is such an iconic brand that we all wish them well and hope things will resolve successfully Don and Phil of course famously used Gibson guitars but only up to their split and they came back in 1983 with the fabulous Ike Everly model Steinegger guitar made by Robert Steinegger especially for the Everlys and was designed with Phil's input and at his behest! Only 56 of these gorgeous guitars were made Anyway, hopefully Gibson will now concentrate on their core business and all will be well!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
52989 11 11
destitute