The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to laugh and cringe at the same time take a listen to DOA by Bloodrock.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
@Roxy
Seems like the stuff nightmares are made of 😊
It makes me recall an interview clip where I believe it was Don said, of country folk and country music...it’s about life, you sing sad songs when you’re sad and happy songs when you’re happy.
(He should have added no sad songs before bedtime I guess 😉)
Those old folk songs didn’t shy away from the bleak, unhappy side of life which was most likely a constant in the lives of those who sang and wrote them.

And although your mom wished your dad had some sweeter tunes to sing, what a beautiful memory to have of your dad playing his guitar and singing you and your siblings to sleep.🤗
Post 52 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Marty for pointing out that Dad’s Lullabies were a lovely memory and not a sad one at all. Dad taught all of us to play (acoustic) guitar years ago, but I never kept it up unfortunately. Like Phil Everly, my Dad was a Gene Autry fan and loved most Country music as well. He did recite to us Robert W Service. “Songs of a Sourdough” amongst others so our early childhood had a generous sprinkling of U.S and Canadian songs/poems etc.,
Post 53 IP   flag post
Marty private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like your dad gave y’all a lovely gift.. songs he loved, an introduction to guitar, again sharing what he loved with you. And most of all, time spent. A piece of himself...what we all hope to leave with our children.
Thank YOU, Roxy, for sharing such a sweet memory.
See, we turned those gruesome songs right around and made it a happy thing!🤗
Post 54 IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
I was trying to explain to my 25 year old daughter the plethora of dead girlfriend songs in the 50s...Ebony Eyes, Teen Angel, Where Oh Where Can my Baby Be (I’m sure I’m forgetting some) and from the 60s, Leader of the Pack (finally a dead boyfriend to keep all those dead girlfriends company!)

I would like to add a song from later years. It is "Where the Wild Roses Grow", written in 1995 by Nick Cave, frontman of the Australian rock band Bad Seeds. He wrote the song very much with pop singe Kylie Minogue in mind, and actually sang it as a duet with her.

Cave was inspired to write this song after listening to the traditional song, "Down in the Willow Garden" (aka “Rose Conolly”), a tale of a man courting a woman and killing her while they are out together.

Post 55 IP   flag post

And here's one that wins for sheer weirdness of theme. It's the only song that I know of the feature cannibalism.

[youtube][/youtube]
Post 56 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Goodness what a wide range of things have been mentioned here. It has been very interesting to read. Just to throw a US speak into the thread a curve ball🌐 I had the Avon catalogue pushed through my letterbox a couple of months ago so I browsed and lo and behold they had a set of Jewellery named Everly I very much liked the long neck wear and now I have it I have a piece of Everly round my neck. I am wearing it today 😊
Post 57 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Loved this song BobbyBri. 'They Call Me The Wild Rose' Good live performance too! xxx
Post 58 IP   flag post
How noval Chris, to have jewellery called Everly! Wonder whose idea this was!? They may be just trinkets but how unusual, Your piece will mean so much to you! xxx
Post 59 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts,

I looked it up and it's not Everly Brothers jewelry. It just happens to be called Everly.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Yes! Thank you Readhead, I did realise this! I just wondered who's idea it was! Maybe someone in Avon is an Everly Brothers fan! It's s very nice name for such trinkets isn't it!? xxxxx
Post 61 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

From what I can tell it's not affiliated with Avon, they just happened to be selling it through them at that time. They have their own website. I think it's just a family name of the people who make and sell it.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Yes I did know it was not named after the Everly Brothers, but to choose that name it has to come from somewhere, for whatever reason. But to have some jewellery called Everly makes it seem a little more grand.
Post 63 IP   flag post
ChrisW -

I knew that, was just telling Jean. I'd actually like to have some Everly Brothers jewelry but I doubt that will ever happen.
Post 64 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
LOL!
is right Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
Ricardo -

I refer to him as 'Mumbles Zimmerman!"

By the way - have you found the outtakes of them messing up the lyrics and laughing yet? I can't find it online.

Redhead, Ooooops! Found the CD, but had forgotten about it till Tree recently brought the thread back to life. Sorry about that!

Haven't found the tracks on the net either.

They're from "The Cadence Sessions -1957 to 1960- Volume 2 CD, track 14 "Down in the Willow Garden" takes 12, 13 & 14, which you can get at Amazon or download individual tracks @ $0.99 ea.

please click here for Amazon link

Here is an approximate transcript of the "conversation":

0:50 — my love she did not know [sung]
0:59 — and so... [sung] ah!
— Was the level OK?
— I was thinkin’ po… [?] [inaudible]
1:05 — It was sounding very good
— So I poisoned… [giggles]
1:08 — So ah po’soned [mocking] … [inaudible] murdered
— And so I po’soned that poo’ li’l girl … [inaudible] on the banks [mocking]
1:18 — It don’t make sense...
— with a knife [inaudible]
1:21 — Killed her twice! [giggles]
1:23 — I’d done killed her another three times!
1:25 — And now friends we bring you the killing song [mocking announcer]
— Music to kill-by for all you teenagers...
1:32 — Two easy lessons [...] to slay your pregnant girlfriend is what this song is about.
—Loud laughter
1:41 — …72-51, Take 13

"Laugh & cringe" is right!

Post 65 IP   flag post
Ricado -

Thanks for the transcript - the link doesn't work. Fun to see the boys found it amusing as well!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Lets see if this works [please click on URL below]:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GGZWZM/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk14

Post 67 IP   flag post
That did it!

Thanks!!
Post 68 IP   flag post
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree
This thread!!! Oh my. Lol

As someone that identifies as Irish (both my parents from there, all siblings, I was born in U.S., Hollywood, but moved back when I was little, then back to Hollywood, again) I should be offended, But all early American folk music did originate from Ireland and Scotland, immigrants passing along their old folk tunes. It especially seems to have influenced Kentucky bluegrass most heavily.

But a little funny side note,... Most of my family are all still in Ireland and are all "big" Irish musicians. My dad's siblings all in Irish showbands lead by my namesake aunt, who still performs. Her nieces are the accordionist and lead violinists in most of the Flately productions. They played in the Vegas run of Lord of the Dance with him for ages. The girls formed their own kind of Irish ?comedy? band that was hugely popular in Ireland called "The Bridies". They also produced my namesake aunt's album.

The lead vocalist in the Vegas production of LOTD was Ashley Davis. The girls became good friends. Ashley wrote "The Bridie Song" for The Bridies. She later re-released it as "Down By The Sea" in her album of the same name.

Going somewhere with this,... 😂

Ashley Davis is a singer/ songwriter from KANSAS but studied Irish (both Irish Gaelic and then the separate Manx language they use on the Isle of Man that is off the coast), and collaborated with a lot of brilliant Irish musicians. She recorded her "Down By The Sea" album in the home recording studio of Moya Brennan of "Clannad". Several famous Irish performers appear on the album with her including Paddy Maloney of The Chieftains.

But for one song Ashley wrote, she is joined by Cathy Jordan, lead singer of the popular Irish trad band "Dervish". Though not an old song, "Lessons In Irish" is about a woman who sends her cheating husband off to her aunt's house to "do some sorting" and the violent (but comical) result of same. It's along the veins of old Irish trad songs.

Hint/Moral: Don't cheat on an Irish girl.😉😁

Ashley's website and music:
www.daisyrings.com. Her "Closer To You" album is my personal favorite.

-Tree

Those Celts sure managed to get around the world!

They got to Mexico via Spain [bagpipe bands and all from Galicia] and from the US!

Please click below for Time article link:

http://time.com/5201896/st-patricks-day-history-mexico/

Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
Jeanroberts -

From what I can tell it's not affiliated with Avon, they just happened to be selling it through them at that time. They have their own website. I think it's just a family name of the people who make and sell it.

Yes, I understand! Interesting since Don and Phil have had a hard time finding other people with their name! xxxxx
Post 71 IP   flag post
Interesting information and links from Tree and Ricardo 😊😊
Post 72 IP   flag post
Tree private msg quote post Address this user
@ricardoapriori: There is a good movie about the San Patricios called "One Man's Hero". (Oh, duh. The clips to the tune you posted are from the movie!!) The group of Irish soldiers defected from the US Army when they were treated prejudicially because they were Catholic, to join the Mexican Army in the Mexican-American War. I think they also likened what the Mexicans were going through to what they did / were with Britain.

Galicia facinates me. Funny you should bring them up. A language unto themselves and Celtic Spanish. I love the group from there, Luar na Lubre. I speak Spanish but it helps me not with their language. Don't understand a word they sing but it's beautiful.

I think the majority of Irish originate from Spain if you go back far enough.

-Tree
Post 73 IP   flag post
Tree,
No Spanish speaker understands "Gallegos" LOL!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Tree private msg quote post Address this user
It *IS* a language unto itself.

17 years ago we were living in Oregon state and planned a trip to Mexico but the Yucatan Penninsula, Playa del Carmen. I was so excited because I hadn't gotten to use my Spanish in Oregon. My ignorance knows no bounds as I discovered everyone there at the time was/ spoke Mayan. 😄

Ugh.

-Tree
Post 75 IP   flag post
+ Spanish w/a Mayan "glottal stop", LOL again!
Post 76 IP   flag post
BobbiBri, the song 'Where the Wild Roses Grow'. is very lovely and really it's quite ghostly because she is dead but singing about herself from the grave! Whereas 'The Willow Gardens'. is a song telling us a grizzly tale! xxx
Post 77 IP   flag post
53048 77 27
destitute