The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
The sketch photo I think is very good, I have the one of Phil as a separate one too but I don't have it of Don as a separate one so if anyone does, I would appreciate a copy.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Found this via google. I've found the author on Facebook, and he has some gorgeous photos of Don and Phil, but can't see how to contact him, to see if any copies of the book are still available. Has anyone on the forum got a copy of the book?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Thanks Bobby.
Post 53 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
The drawing of Don and Phil, or more truly, the print, is the one I gave to the museum and is Number one of two hundred and fifty. I had four; two that I purchased back in the 70's and two more I was given more recently. I thought the museum should have the first print; I still have No: 124 and I gave the other two prints to my Everly friends. The artist name on the print is Benvenuti. Somewhere I have all the back issues of the EBI 'Kentucky' mag's. I will try to find the original sale info about them, when I have time.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58
clickable text

Found this via google. I've found the author on Facebook, and he has some gorgeous photos of Don and Phil, but can't see how to contact him, to see if any copies of the book are still available. Has anyone on the forum got a copy of the book?

Liz I have the book from Shenandoah "Phil and Don Home Again" it has some wonderful photos and some nicely written pieces.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Recorded at Historic RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN.

RCA Studio B is a historic property operated by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, a Section 501c3 non-profit organization chartered by the state of Tennessee in 1964. Preservation of the RCA Studio B is made possible by the Mike Curb Family Foundation.

Billy Harlan has returned to the historic RCA Studio B after a 57 year hiatus thanks to the Country Music Hall of Fame & Muddy Roots Records! In 1959 Billy recorded his own album after years of touring with Dave Rich, Jim Reeves and the Wilburn Brothers as a bass player, doing session work for Chet Atkins and writing songs for many others including Hawkshaw Hawkins. It was shelved which lead to Harlan leaving Nashville to pursue another career out west. Billy returned to tour the studio in recent years to find a picture of himself with other musicians displayed in the entryway. When they found out he still performed live music in Kentucky and at rockabilly festivals worldwide they were excited to invite him back in to the studio to wrap up the unfinished business he had with Chet but this time with Muddy Roots Records.

We are truly honored to be able to work on this project with Billy, his band and the engineers at the studio. The album was recorded the old style, with all musicians performing together in one room showing us young whipper snappers how the pros did it "back in the day."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17go9o_everly-brothers-sing-john-prine-s-paradise_music

PEABODY MINING COMPANY – the song ‘Paradise’ by John Prine about is about the impact of coal mining both in activity and what happens to the area around the Green River in Kentucky once the coal mining ends. The song references a now-defunct town called Paradise (of which Prine said, “It was a pretty little town, even Walt Disney would have been proud of it”) in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. Reference is made in the chorus to “Mr Peabody’s coal train” which hauls away the coal from the strip-mining and which also in turn removes and scars the landscape: And daddy won’t you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay? Well, I'm sorry my son, but you’re too late in asking... Mister Peabody’s coal train has hauled it away Needless to say, Peabody Mining Association was anything but happy with John Prine’s lyrical efforts! A similar thing happened to the town where Don Everly was born, Brownie, Kentucky – when Don was twelve and the family returned to Kentucky to show Don where he was born, they found the town was no more. As a subsidiary of Peabody Holding Company, Inc., the largest coal producer in the United States, Peabody Coal Company operates ten coalmines in western Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana, an area known collectively as the Illinois Basin. Ninety per cent of the company’s coal is sold to electrical generation plants, chiefly in the Midwest, while the remaining ten per cent is purchased by industries engaged in generating their own electricity and steam power. The transportation of coal from mines to consumers is accomplished primarily by river barges and railroad, although the development of conveyor belt systems that haul coal directly to power plants has proved expedient and increasingly popular. Peabody Energy (as it is now) was originally founded as Peabody, Daniels & Company in 1883 by Francis Peabody, the son of a prominent Chicago lawyer, and a partner. The company bought coal from established mines and sold it to homes and businesses in the Chicago area. In the late 1880s, Francis S. Peabody bought out his partner’s share of the business and the company was incorporated in the state of Illinois under the name Peabody Coal Company in 1890. In 1895, it began operations of its first mine in Williamson County, Illinois and later expanded its operations in Illinois. Following World War I, the company’s growth accelerated, and the corporation went public for the first time in 1929 with a listing on the Midwest Stock Exchange. Peabody Coal thrived, becoming known as a coal producer rather than retailer. Despite adverse economic conditions during the Great Depression and disputes and strikes involving the unionization of mine workers, the company continued to realize profits and growth. In 1949, it was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Despite being ranked eighth among the country’s top coal producers in the mid-1950s, Peabody began to lose market share to companies operating cost-efficient surface mining operations. To address the situation, it entered into merger talks with Sinclair Coal Company. A merger between the two companies occurred in 1955, resulting in the transfer of Peabody’s headquarters to St. Louis, Missouri. The merged company retained the Peabody name. Peabody Energy has been tagged as a major offender of environmental degradation. Peabody Energy has a long history of opposing efforts to mitigate the negative environmental effects of coal production and combustion. The passage of The Clean Air Act by Congress in the early 1990s forced many coal producers, including Peabody, to reassess their operations. Today Peabody makes every attempt to improve its image in relation to safety and the environment.

Post 56 IP   flag post
Chris, can i ask where you got the book by Jerry Spies? I'd like to get my hands on a copy.
Post 57 IP   flag post
"Paradise" I have to admit that I do prefer John Prine's version. The photos give you an idea of the area etc that is why I like it so much. It makes us understand what happened in the area.

Post 58 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, thanks muchly for all the pix and histories. Had a Scotch-Irish uncle way, way back who landed in upstate Pennsylvania coal region where many of them worked and settled. But, he didn't like what his future looked like, so came down to Philadelphia and went to Drexel Univ. Engineering School, instead.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Well, here goes, one more chance....

https://1063thefox.com/flashback-the-everly-brothers-record-bye-bye-love/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWitNM_8mQ
Post 60 IP   flag post
Yay you did it Craig, thank you.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Hear, hear!! Good for me! Goes to show that ya' can still teach an old dog, new tricks. Hope you and Liz, England & Scotland are surviving the weather. Looks like y'all have gotten your share of foul, winter weather. Stay safe. We now have pouring rain, flooding esp. along the coastline which is ~ 65 miles east of this building, and high wind gusts for the next.....two days! Crazy weather, worldwide. One more long month of March and then it simply....has to....be over.

"T'was in the merry month of May
When Flowers were a'bloomin'
Sweet Willie on his death bed pay
For the love of Bar'brie Allen."

Starts out nicely weather-wise, but ends up a mournful, yet beautiful love ballad.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Dopey me, I meant to say,.."his death bed..LAY..."
Post 63 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
It's nice to see that Don and Phil will live on in our hearts and in their music long after they are gone.
Post 64 IP   flag post
IMHO there will be many, many concerts still to come "up there." A stadium.....big-time! Millions in attendance. All kinds of miracles comin' up. "Let's see here, Craig Hope requested that we do our Steel Pier Show from Atlantic City in 1960, so lean back and..voila!!!...we are all there again. Smell the sea air, hear the seagulls outside, that darkened, mystical theater...we are there! What's that? Someone wants to hear "Kentucky"? Lean back and voila! We are all in, can see, can 'feel,' and can live for that moment in...bluegrass Kentucky. We're on that mountain top. "What? Someone wants to hear, feel, experience, "Dancin' in the Street"? O.K., everybody up, pick a partner and here we go!! 'They'll be swinging, swaying, records playing,....Philadelphia PA, Baltimore an D.C. now..Don't forget the Motor City, ah...' It will make Shindig look like a kid's game. But, what happens when they sing "Down in the Willow Garden" ?! Like Ronald Reagan said re his show biz days, the axiom of the show must go own and "You ain't seen nothin', yet!"
Post 65 IP   flag post
Hopefully the other time Phil was saluting is amongst all this Homecoming thread. I have other things to add to this thread, but it will have to wait a few days before I can get around to doing it.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I knew I had taken a photo of this print before I gave it to the CC museum; two months on from this post, I've found it
Post 67 IP   flag post
Found another poster but even the words "Everly Brothers" on the original are hard to see; never mind this photo I took. Printed in neon blue on shinny black is not good.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Thanks Mike, I did find a copy of it a few days after I asked for your help. It is a great photo and it does have pride of place in the new museum, which of course you have been to, so envious of you seeing the museum Mike. There is a video of the 'old' museum which I think everyone but US can view. It is in the Homecoming thread and the video is very well put together.
Post 69 IP   flag post
How sad the American fans can't see the video; I wonder what's behind that daft idea.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglhope
Well, here goes, one more chance....

https://1063thefox.com/flashback-the-everly-brothers-record-bye-bye-love/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWitNM_8mQ

I have just tried viewing this video and I'm block out too.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Sorry, but I can't see either of these videos....
Post 72 IP   flag post
Oddly enough I can pick up the links on my phone but not the computer. When I get through on my phone it eventually says it is no longer available. So I am deducing from that it is very much like what the BBC 2 radio programmes are like. The programmes are on offer for 30 days then they expire. I still find it unusual that I cannot see much at all using the computer!!
Post 73 IP   flag post
to save everyone looking through the Homecoming thread, this is the museum video, I spoke about several hours ago.

Post 74 IP   flag post
Kathyc private msg quote post Address this user
Chis thanks for posting the Everly Museum, must try to visit sometime. I have a lot of what i've watched, but feel down the road I probably have some things they don't. Like photos, letters etc, I also have Phil's back stage passes from the reunion concert and the 1985 tour. So I'm going to put a note in my will asking my son to give these to the museum. Thanks. Will talk to Sheena too about this.
Post 75 IP   flag post
That is a very good idea Kathy. If you find some time take a look through this thread there is a lot of information, photos and links for interviews and concerts. There are also loads of photos taken inside the museum. I still have some things to add yet but life has been busy and eventful for me this year, but I promise I will add it soon. ☺
Post 76 IP   flag post
DeeDee private msg quote post Address this user
That is a really good likeness in the drawing of Phil Not sure the artist has caught Don though but still lovely to see this artwork! thanks too for the link to the Museum! Always fascinating to see Everly orientated things!
Post 77 IP   flag post
I have brought this thread back up again for Lynn who mentioned it yesterday. I know I promised to put some more things on this thread and I will do in a few days 🎸🎸
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I have brought this thread back up again for Lynn who mentioned it yesterday. I know I promised to put some more things on this thread and I will do in a few days 🎸🎸

Some members were asking about the Homecoming concerts earlier today this thread has quite a lot of information and lots of photos.

I do see I promised to post some more things onto this thread. Sorry I have been very busy this year and far too many family health problems to last a lifetime. But I will post some more over the weekend.
Post 79 IP   flag post
52988 81 29
destitute