The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Phil at the beach....cheers!7437

bert private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Great photo, Bert. I hope Phil found peace and relief from his illness in that lovely place.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
A lovely photo bert! The house behind Phil, Pattie and friend must be Phil's beach house? Oooh! How absolutely lovely! I'd never want to leave it but maybe the winter season is a bit different! xxx
Post 3 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I thought Phil had 4 homes but I can only think of 3 at the moment. This one on the Gulf coast, Nashville Columbian home and one in California. 4th one is eluding me not unless he did have 3 homes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
They look gorgeous houses don't they Chris!? So pleased his hard work brought him such lovely rewards! I know through it all, he was sad he had problems with Don! However, he grandchildren brought him such happiness in his last years! Such a kind father figure! Bless him! xxx
Post 5 IP   flag post
Mike , I hope so too. I see what impact COPD can have on daily life. My wife has COPD Cat4,(The worst) and there are days that she can't do anything ....only hoping that she can inhale enough "air to live on". Terrible. I have a picture of Phil in a wheelchair on LA airport, it's not the guy we all know.I won't post it, I hardly can look at it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Because we have come to know what a great man Phil was through his family, friends and band members, he was beautiful inside and out, whatever photo I see of Phil he usually has a smile on his face, that great character and personality just shines through.

I have been searching for a photo I have of an older Phil sat in a chair turned round with a big smile, it looks like it may be Patti's 'country embellished jacket' on the chair he is sat on, sorry I can't put my hands on it right now. He just shines through all the time. What a man for other Everly family members to live up to, he had so much love to give for everyone around him.

This is Phil, Patti, John Durrill on the right but not too sure of the other 2 maybe you know them Bert they both look familiar.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I found the photo I mentioned earlier. Phil still looks like he is full of fun and having a great time out.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Mike , I hope so too. I see what impact COPD can have on daily life. My wife has COPD Cat4,(The worst) and there are days that she can't do anything ....only hoping that she can inhale enough "air to live on". Terrible. I have a picture of Phil in a wheelchair on LA airport, it's not the guy we all know.I won't post it, I hardly can look at it.

Bert, I'm more sorry than I'm able to express to know your wife suffers in this way! I can offer my prayers for you and your wife along, Im sure, with others! I do hope you both have family/friends support. Please feel you can talk to us. Some of us have had family with severe breathing difficulties and we know how frightening it is for both of you! May we ask after your wife from time to time? While we can't pretend this isn't happening, I don't want your escape into the forum to be spoilt!

The press tell us Don and Phil were estranged when Phil died! I know it does seems Don has difficulty coping with these situations. It still, never the less, saddens me to know he didn't kindly pay a few visits to Phil, to whom, I'm quite sure it would have meant so much!

I know it's reported they would see each other in the shopping mall, that must have been when Phil was still on his feet, so to speak, and staying at his house in Nashville! It's such a sad and ragged end to their story! I hope the truth is soon written by one who knew them intimately!

The Everly's lived so much of their lives in the glare of the media. I'm so glad Phil had so many loved ones around him, I'm so thankful for this! I wish Don well, he obviously could not put right the many wrongs, not just with Phil but in his own life of drugs and bitter divorces'.

However, they sang! Their so beautiful harmonious singing, sung to us and brought to us such deep, deep pleasure! We thank them again and again for their gift they never let go to waste! xxx
Post 9 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Bert, i am so sorry to hear about your wife. COPD is just an awful disease. I've a very dear friend whom i have known since we were 5 years old, he has COPD too, but is still managing to work at the moment.
As Bobby and Jean have said, we are all thinking of you and your wife . If only we could wrap you in a group hug 🤗
Post 10 IP   flag post
Such a lovely photo Chris! Thank you for sharing it with us! xxx
Post 11 IP   flag post
Bert I hope that the climate of your island helps your wife, it is such an awful thing to have. I have an Everly friend whose son in his fifties is struggling with COPD and during winters he is often in hospital.

I feel sure you know we are all thinking of you and your wife.

The last time I was in contact with you your wife had fallen and hurt her back quite badly and was wearing a back brace and you weren't too good yourself with (am I correct on this) cancer of your lip? I hope both these problems have been sorted for you both. You made this public at the time so I hope it is ok for me to ask about you both here. Take good care of yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58
If only we could wrap you in a group hug

Maybe you can feel the hug with the messages for you both.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
Such a lovely photo Chris! Thank you for sharing it with us! xxx

I wonder each time I look at the photo Jean "Is it Patti taking it" because he has such a lovely gaze at the camera.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yes! I think you must be right! They did seem very happy together! I'm sure Pattie still missed him! I do wonder if she stayed close to Phil's family!

Difficult in these circumstances as she is not mother to Phil's two son's, they still have their mothers. Pattie is not grandmother to Phil's grandchildren as they have grandmothers! At least as far as I'm thinking. Margeret is still here. I know little about Jason's wife and parents though!

xxxxx
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jean, Liz and Chris,

Sorry for the late reaction. Thanks for the nice words concerning my wife's COPD. We can only say , we're very happy to live here in the Caribbean, where weather is fine and has constant temperatures. No frost, no cold, only a few days rain in a year.I makes it all somewhat easier to live, but we all know that once you have COPD it will never get better only worse.The tests of this year showed that she was under 30% lung capacity for the first time and that was hard news for her. So she is doing everything to keep her conditioning as good as possible. Some people gain wait after quit smoking, she lost many kilo's and it is a hard thing to stop that also. But luckily we are in a position that we can call in people to clean the house and can go out for dinner as we want to. I've never had any problem being involved in housekeeping , doin' this , doin' that, goin' to grocery shops etc.and I like to prepare special meals and other things that I learned trough the years. We had to accept that life has changed, but we're very happy with the life we live now, no problem. Thanks again.

Chris,
Yes she fell on her back doing garden work and broke her back, but that is healed although it took a long time . Indeed I had lip surgery twice because there was cancer in it, the operations were successful and the cancer is gone.... Was very very happy when I got the good news from the lab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Bert, may I add my concerns and sympathy for the health problems you and your wife are currently dealing with and pleased that you are both coping well. Might I also be included in the group hug!❤️❤️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks Roxy, thank you very much.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Chris,
Yes she fell on her back doing garden work and broke her back, but that is healed although it took a long time . Indeed I had lip surgery twice because there was cancer in it, the operations were successful and the cancer is gone.... Was very very happy when I got the good news from the lab.

So pleased to hear this news Bert I have thought about you both many times and wondered if you were both recovered. Great news.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Good to know your lip is better now bert! Was it a skin cancer? My sister in law has had it on her forehead for a good number of yesrs. she is putting chemo cream on it this time but had a small op. the first time!

So sorry your wife had a fall breaking her back some time ago! I'm pleased to hear she is healed! We ladies seem good at breaking our backs, osteoporosis is likely the added cause to our falls! I broke mine at the top of my back T12 (where we fasten our bra). It needed operating on but due to negligence it was left too late so I still have a painful problems 5 years later, vertabrae laying on a nerve!

What a delightful part of the world you both live in! I'm so glad you can enjoy your life! Hope you both have many happy years ahead of you! xxxxx
Post 19 IP   flag post
Yes Jean it was skin cancer. Every day, year around the sun is out here. So there is always a risk of getting skin cancer. We never go to the beach without sunscreen 30, IF we go. Yes my wife has also osteoporosis, one vertabrae was broken in the lower back en two are still now "miss placed", to risky to have surgery there. All kind of problems we have to coop with getting older and never thought about when dancing and rocking in the sixties/seventies haha.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
My Goodness Bert, what interesting memories you have and how lucky to have been so involved with the Everly Brothers and their families over so many years. Fascinating to hear all this. ❤️❤️

Sorry Bert this reply should have been posted in the Carol Jane Thread and I am unable to move/delete from this thread.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I understand Roxy ! Yes I've had some great memories especially with Phil and Margaret.I still do call her and we always have fun. The last time I visited her in Nashville was autumn 2016. It was a great moment, the first time I was there in the seventies when she showed me the house, opened cabinets full with stage cloths Don and Phil used to wear, guitars that were in the house,Phil's black room, Don's paintings, Ike's guitar that was on the couch, just name it. We went out together, had lunch, diner, drove around visited the Bryan's house on the lake. It was like we knew each other for ages.As said GREAT memories.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I understand Roxy ! Yes I've had some great memories especially with Phil and Margaret.I still do call her and we always have fun. The last time I visited her in Nashville was autumn 2016. It was a great moment, the first time I was there in the seventies when she showed me the house, opened cabinets full with stage cloths Don and Phil used to wear, guitars that were in the house,Phil's black room, Don's paintings, Ike's guitar that was on the couch, just name it. We went out together, had lunch, diner, drove around visited the Bryan's house on the lake. It was like we knew each other for ages.As said GREAT memories.

Ah! Don's paintings! Never seen any of Don's paintings! What sort of paintings are they bert? Love to hear the memories of you being with the Everly's and their mother! xxx
Post 23 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not surprised that Don is a painter. Their father, Ike, was a painter as well. This is a talented family!
Post 24 IP   flag post
The arts such drawing, painting and music often go together! Must be something to do with the temperament and creative imagination! Would love to see Don's paintings! Many people who draw and paint won't show them because they feel their work is not good enough! We see all the imperfections in our own works!

I love pencil drawing. Have never tried painting except at school when the subject to paint wasn't our choice! I used to get good marks in art and music! Don said he got A's in art and technical drawing! Clever lad Redhead? xxx
Post 25 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

I adore the man so yes, I think he's clever!

By the way, does anybody have a link to the lyrics to Phil's solo song Too Far, Too Fast? I can't find them anywhere.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanroberts
Ah! Don's paintings! Never seen any of Don's paintings! What sort of paintings are they bert?

There are a couple of photos of paintings behind Margaret and it was implied that these are Don's paintings, maybe Bert can confirm this.

]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
By the way, does anybody have a link to the lyrics to Phil's solo song Too Far, Too Fast? I can't find them anywhere.[/quote

Redhead I have the lyrics to the song "Too Far Too Fast" but I am having problems with my computer in some areas, I will get them as soon as it decides to let me in again!! It is one reason I have not been on site much the last few days.

I have no idea why decided that the song should not make the cut on the album, surely one extra song would not matter, or put one on each side. I don't agree with the decision and some others on youtube didn't either. It is a fabulous song, it pulls me into it, I love it. There is a bonus album with the song on which I found out about several months ago but once again I can only find that information out when my computer decides it wants to let me in!!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
ChrisW -

Thanks! Too Far, Too Fast is a gorgeous song, and Phil's voice is so low, sexy and world weary. I think it would have been a huge hit!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
By the way, does anybody have a link to the lyrics to Phil's solo song Too Far, Too Fast?

Quote:
Too Fast is a gorgeous song, and Phil's voice is so low, sexy and world weary. I think it would have been a huge hit!

A little later than I planned, I have had a couple of health issues to deal with, better late than never Redhead.

Too Far, Too Fast
(Phil Everly/John Durrill) Phil played acoustic guitar, John Durrill piano, the guitar solos and all other instruments were played by Ted Pearlman, who produced this track together with Phil. We assume it was recorded during the LIVING ALONE sessions, although Ted Pearlman has not worked with the Everlys on any official releases that we know of.

No one could tell you then
No one can tell you now
Even when you know the truth
Doesn't matter anyhow

You're walkin' in the shadows
So you're only standin' still
Once you could have found you
But now you never will

Too far, too fast
You're never going home
Too far, too fast
Now you're all alone

Your future was in the past
But the past is a long time gone
Your tomorrow will be today
Today goes on and on

Tighten up your buckles
Get ready for a bumpy ride
You'd better find some shelter
You got no place to hide

Too far, too fast
Now you're on your own
Too far, too fast
Now you're all alone

Too far, too fast
You're never going home
Too far, too fast
Now you're all alone

Too far, too fast (oohh)
Now you're on your own (you're on your own)
Too far, too fast (I'm sorry for you)
Now you're all alone (cause you're all alone)

Too far, too fast (oh yea yea yea yea-ea)

This song would have been a huge hit like Redhead says it is so different, if only I could have done the marketing!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

I hope your health is better!

Thanks for the lyrics. Any idea who or what it's about? Since the Living Alone album has many songs about the divorce from his second wife, Patricia Mickey, I thought maybe it was about her, but don't know. I do know the song is hauntingly beautiful and shows a different side of Phil.

Thanks again!
Post 30 IP   flag post
50507 59 30
destitute