The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Legends of Rock and Roll7372

Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
I posted this a few months ago but I was watching it again the other night and really enjoyed it so thought I’d post it again Poor Phil just can’t escape the fans. Xx❤️❤️
Post 1 IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi joyb thanks for posting this is it on DVD very good i had a tear in my eye when i saw phil good to see all of the rock and roll stars of yesteryear
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
What a concert that must have been. Phil was always so gracious with the fans, even after a long flight, bless him.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quite jane. I thought that too. He probably just wanted to get to his hotel and crash out. Lovely man xx❤️❤️
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don’t know if there is a dvd peter. Sorry but wouldn’t it be wonderful if there was xx❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Very enjoyable to watch. Thanks for posting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I had to watch it again this morning, I put it on my phone and stood it up whilst cleaning!!

Phil just seemed to always have time for fans, he was a thoughtful lovely man.
Post 7 IP   flag post
thanks, JOYB PHIL WAS A NICE MAN ALWAYS NICE TO THE FANS NO DVD
PETER
Post 8 IP   flag post
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
I loved this! Also, I didn't know Phil was a lefty - I knew Don was but not Phil. It looked like he used his left hand while signing autographs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes they were both left handed but Ike taught them to play guitar right handed. All the best people are lefties!! I’m totally left handed as is my eldest daughter and her husband. Supposed to be arty people that are. Well I’m not. Xx❤️❤️
Post 10 IP   flag post
Joyb -

Years ago I did some hand writing therapy that is meant to help 'reset' your brain. They had me use my non-dominant hand. So I learned to write left handed. I *can* do it but it takes 4x longer than using my right, and my hand cramps up a lot. I don't know how you do it!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I even have a left handed cheque book so the little stubs are on the right hand side. It makes paying SO much easier!! Can’t useleft handed scissors thoughxx ❤️❤️
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ha ha Red I’m useless with my right hand. My daughter can write with both but prefers to use her left. However plays racket games right handed Strange!! Xx❤️❤️
Post 13 IP   flag post
hi JOYB i am useless with my left hand if i write left handed it looks like a fly crawled over it not good
peter
Post 14 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
"Things Don't Come Back, They Just Never Went Away", Phil, you are a million % correct. 1957 has never stopped. It has just morphed and grown into what it is now and is still growing. Yes, looked like the back of the Valley Forge Music Fair, years later from 1957, but always a crowd of fans, autograph seekers, some of those collectors get celebrity autographs, regardless, and Phil came out down the steps first, then Don, they were tired and wanted to get on the big tour bus, BUT they stopped and signed and .....conversed.....they are a class act in all ways. Phil always seems to have a humorous smile regardless of how tired he was / is. I think Ike taught them early on to always be good to the fans if you want to eat. Those fans are your living. Came easy for them because they're down-to-earth guys, anyway. i wonder what would have happened if they had stayed at Cadence. i wonder what would have happened if Col. Parker didn't see Elvis in a show that night. I wonder what would have happened in Brian Epstein hadn't seen The Beatles in that show that night. Some kind of pre-destined fate. Some kind of fore-ordained karma thing went on.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hi Craig!

I don't know if you got my email but our Minnesota Nice seemed to work on your Eagles fans. They didn't cause ANY trouble at all here in Minnesota - but they tore up Philadelphia!

Congrats on their Super Bowl win!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Joy reading about your daughter and her playing racket games with her right hand, my youngest son is left handed and he plays tennis and badminton right handed, snooker/pool/darts with his left hand, cricket - bowls with his left and bats right handed. Eats with knife and fork as a right handed person but spoons ie soup or desert in his left hand. Scissors he turns them upside down then wonders why they don't cut right!! He was a very good footballer and started as a predominant left foot but from 7/8 years old started to use his right foot and then became as good with both feet. He was so pleased that his own son is a left footer but is working on his right too, but he is right handed.

My son loves being left handed, he is not arty in the drawing or painting sense but he loves sport with a great passion and can play all sports so maybe that is how his arty side comes out.

My dad could write with both hands equally well and fast we all think that was due to years ago being left handed was frowned on and the teacher would rap the knuckles of someone writing with their left hand, that would be the 1920's. So we think that when he was a boy he was probably a left hand writer. He was the artist in the family.

Loving hearing all the left hand stories.

Don's hands

Phil's hand

Post 17 IP   flag post
hi all i don't know how you do it
peter
Post 18 IP   flag post
ChrisW -

Was your dad Catholic? My mom used to tell me stories of the nuns tying left handed kids' left arm to their torso so they'd be forced to use their right hand. It was some nonsense about left handed being seen as demonic, or some such claptrap. These days there would be lawsuits but back then this was accepted.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
My husband and his late brother both left handed. Husband strongly left handed for writing and sport but equal handed for painting/decorating. Skipped a generation with our son and daughter both right handed, then back again with one of our grandsons who is strongly left handed and very musical, piano and guitar.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks Redhead and Minnesota on the Philly Eagles win. First time ever, so everyone is elated to the max. Unfortunately, in all cities and events, there are un-connected vandals and troublemakers who couldn't care less about the Eagles, sports, or whatever. They are just trouble, but the Philadelphia Police are pretty tough and will arrest them on the spot and if you "accidently" get cracked over the head with a nightstick, well, tough. you're misbehaving. Over all the city is happy. I recall seeing the Chicago Political Riots in 1968...wild, long-haired troublemakers, cops, tear gas, police dogs...'Middle America' doesn't like seeing that on television, so Good-bye LBJ (Humphrey) and Hello, Richard Nixon.

I'm right-handed, but a couple of times when my right hand was out-of-commission, I learned to brush teeth, comb hair, write, etc. with the left hand. Ridiculous at first, but the brain can get used to all kinds of things.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Redhead1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
ChrisW -

Was your dad Catholic?

Redhead - No my dad was not Catholic but I think the practice of rapping left hand writers over the knuckles was common place 100 years ago, my uncle not related to my dad was a left hand writer even though he told me tales of what the teachers did if they caught him writing with his left hand he never gave in.

I have a friend whose son is left handed and her husband delved into the history of it all quite some years back now. I am guessing that if you Google history of left handed people loads of info with show up.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Just Googled it....Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, Queen Victoria, King George, prince Charles, prince William, Henry Ford, Helen Keller, Cary Grant, Lewis Carroll, Phil Collins, Judy Garland, Ringo Starr, Paul Simon, Michaelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Obama, Mozart, Bill Gates.....tons of famous athletes, kings, presidents, authors..the lists were endless
Post 23 IP   flag post
A lot of top tennis players are lefties. I found this an advantage when playing rounders as a right handed bowler would bowl straight to your bat. Also in tennis it’s easy to return backhand. My father in law was left handed but born in 1911 was made to write with his right hand. Grown up became a butcher and did all his cutting with his left. I my daughter and son in law also use knife and fork right handed but soup and dessert spoons left. Think that’s quite common. Oh we are a peculiar lot. Years ago we’d have been put to death as witches!! Xx❤️❤️
Post 24 IP   flag post
Joyb -

Leftys were put to death as well as those with two different colored eyes. So David Bowie would have been labeled a warlock.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
My husband has 2 sisters, 1 is left handed, but only 1 of her daughters is a leftie. As it turns out, this same daughter married a leftie, so any children may well be lefties too. My husband's aunt was a leftie , as is her daughter, my husband's cousin. None of the relatives are artistic though! We are all right handed , but my Dad could work well with his left hand, in his work as a joiner.
Regarding people who have eyes of different colours, i read that the actress Jane Seymour is another one who has this trait, called heterochromia.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Question: At different times both Don and Phil have referred to Kentucky, Tennessee and Iowa as home. Does anyone know which one they really considered home? Or do they call them all home at different points in their lives?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Good question, Redhead. IMHO, where they were born, where their parents were born, where they worked, went to school, coal mining, barber-beauty school, I think Phil was born in Chicago, Illinois where Ike worked for awhile, Brownie, Kentucky was a small, small, town-ette and is not there any longer, their radio show was out of Iowa, so...someone on this great site will have the details. I'll Google their geographical history. Seems like I Google everything these days.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Craig -

I know there are a lot of different geographic areas that they claim and it seems to change depending on the interviews they give. As you said Phil was born in Chicago, Don in Brownie, Kentucky. They were raised in Iowa and their parents and family are from both Kentucky and Tennesee. I have heard them claim each place as 'home' so not sure if they consider all of them home in one way or another or what.
Post 29 IP   flag post
....maybe where they graduated from High School. When did Don and/or Phil 'leave home / parents'....went to Nashville to 'hit the big time,' met Chet Atkins, still lived at home...(?)...early to mid-1950's....where were they living when 'Bye, Bye Love' hit...? And, then marriages started, so..... Another Google search comin' up.
Post 30 IP   flag post
47237 31 30
destitute