The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Bill Kenwright Golden Years7332

Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Good news !! Bill has a new series starting on BBC Radio 2 on Tuesday 30 January at 10-11 pm. Something to look forward to on these cold dark nights. Hopefully he will play lots of Don and Phil as he did last series and on his Christmas Special. Mind I did keep pestering him with pleading emails !!xx❤️❤️
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Joyb! This is nice news! I do hope Bill will play a lot of the newer Everly recordings! I'm sure if 'Wings of a Nightingale Gale' were played by his and other stations it could become very popular! So many good and more recent well produced albums to choose tracks from too! We'll all have to do some requesting!
Thank you so much for letting us know Joy. xxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
He generally plays only 50 and early 60 music. However he made an exception when Phil passed away and played his Air That I Breathe. So don’t think he will feature newer recordings xx❤️❤️
Post 3 IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Joy, thanks for the heads up on this welcome news. I'm hoping that it'll be another 6 week run? I shall be setting up the cable box to record it, and will be emailing in too!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yes forgot to say it’s a 6 week stint so that’s excellent news. Don’t know whether I dare email him again. My daughter said I’m almost a stalker!! Ah
Well might as well try again !! I’m sure he’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t hear from me!!ha ha !! Xx❤️❤️
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Two Everly tracks last night - Ebony Eyes and Walk Right Back.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jane, I feel that 'Ebony Eyes' if released with enough promotion would be a big hit again! Way out of today's style of course but with the correct handling it could happen! The production is just perfect!
Ha! Ha! I live in hopes! xxx
Post 7 IP   flag post
I just listened to last night’s programme and found Bill’s record choices and commentary so interesting. Apparently last week’s programme was a repeat from six years ago so this was the first of the new series.

His comments on Ebony Eyes and Walk Right Back were that E E was banned by the BBC for a while because the lyrics were too upsetting and WRB was supposed to have a second verse, both of which I knew. He then asked two questions:

Is Ebony Eyes the best story record ever?

Are they the best double A sides ever?

He then went on to say:

Until next week.

What a tease!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jane, I remember Andrew Lloyd Webber on radio, claim he thought 'Ebony Eyes' was stunning! I remember also seeing him on television some years ago, he said. 'One would love to have The Everly Brothers sing 'Pie Jesu'"
If only they had! I so love 'Pie Jesu' as many do! Music has no boundaries for me! xxx
Post 9 IP   flag post
Music has no boundaries for us either Jean. My husband loves Pavarotti as well as AC/DC, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones lots of other singers including Roberta Flack, Josh Groban, Boz Scaggs, Roy Orbison, Frankie Laine , Adele and many more. I like all of these plus modern music such as Ed Sheeran and Enrique Iglesias. I have missed many out of my list.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Bill has really got me thinking about what else he might think is a contender with Ebony Eyes for the best story record. It could be Leader Of The Pack, And Then He Kissed Me, Girl Of My Best Friend or my husband's favourite Three Steps To Heaven. It could be Lying Eyes or Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town but these may be outside his time line.
Post 11 IP   flag post
How about Tell Laura I love Her by Ray Peterson who he likes not the Ricky Valance version. Terry by Twinkle. You’ve started something now Jane !! Xxx❤️❤️
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane43
Music has no boundaries for us either Jean. My husband loves Pavarotti as well as AC/DC, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones lots of other singers including Roberta Flack, Josh Groban, Boz Scaggs, Roy Orbison, Frankie Laine , Adele and many more. I like all of these plus modern music such as Ed Sheeran and Enrique Iglesias. I have missed many out of my list.

I think Jane, if we have music in our soul and our nature, it simply connects! We all have different tastes! Most artists you've mentioned are those I've loved for years too! Roy Orbison was such a favourite! Andrea Bocelli, Adele, Ed Sheeran, nice he had such a successful record over Christmas wasn't it? The Bee Gees, Andrew !loyd Webber's musicals, Mozart and Gabriel Faure Ooh! shiver! Much of Beethoven's work! As you say, these are just a very few!
I love the ballet, my hubby found how much he loved it too, so our second home has been The Opera House, Covent Garden! So aggrieved that Carlos Accosta, after all these years with the 'Royal Ballet' has given up to form his own Cuban ballet company! Soooo miss him! In years to come, he will likely produce something splendid! He had entered his forties. Full length ballet's are very strenuous with all the rehearsing too!

In a video, Don Everly seemed to favour Mario Lanza. Did you notice? Don spread his arms and sang the first line of one of Mario Lanza's songs. 'Be My Love!

So there we have it, if we love music, it has no boundaries! xxxxx
Post 13 IP   flag post
50029 13 13
destitute