The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
A Concert at the Cambridge Regal on October 22nd 1962 is listed on Billing as the Everly Brothers but this concert and one on October 15th 1962 in Hull are just two that were done by Phil on a solo tour, he completed the whole tour when Don was taken back to the US for medical attention. Joey Paige was on stage with Phil and after Phil had sung a couple of songs on his own, his good friend and band member Joey Paige joined Phil in singing the rest of the concert.

HULL Billboard October 15th 1962

[/b]

Listed as Everly Brothers - it was Phil touring alone in 1962

Joey Paige on stage and singing with Phil

The full list of artists appearing were:

Everly Brothers (Phil on his own)
Frank Ifield
Ketty Lester
Dean Rogers
Terry Young Five
Vernon Girls

Compere was Norman Collier - Promoter was Arthur Howes in association with Leslie Grade.

October 1962

14 - East Ham (Granada)
15 - Hull (ABC)
16 - Stockton (Globe)
17 - Sheffield (City Hall)
18 - Lincoln (ABC)
19 - Leeds (Odeon)
20 - Newcastle (City Hall)
22 - Cambridge (Regal)
23 - Croydon (ABC)
24 - Kingston (ABC)
25 - Exeter (ABC)
26 - Plymouth (ABC)
27 - Bournemouth (Winter Gardens)
28 - Ipswich (Gaumont)
31 - Portsmouth (Guildhall)

November 1962

01 - Bristol (Colston Hall)
02 - Cheltenham (Gaumont)
03 - Cardiff (Sophia Gardens)
04 - Birmingham (Hippodrome)
07 - Huddersfield (ABC)
08 - Manchester (Apollo)
11 - Liverpool (Empire)

This photo was taken at the ABC in Exeter on October 25th 1962

Frank Ifield adds, “I loved the Everly Brothers’ records and it was so disappointing that to find that Don was ill and had gone back to the States. I wanted to see them even more than the audience. Phil did the tour on his own and it didn’t make much difference as far as the bookings were concerned but it was a great pity not to see them together. I thought I was on the tour that was going to mark their break-up. I had to encourage Phil as he was very nervous about going out there, but the audience loved him anyway. He got a thunderous round of applause when he walked out but the promoter hadn’t put up notices saying it was only Phil. It had only been in the music press so most people were still expecting to see the Everly Brothers. From what I remember, Phil sang a couple of songs on his own and then one of the guys in the band sang Don’s part so it sounded pretty much like the Everly Brothers then. Some years later when I opened in Vegas Phil was on the front row supporting me and I thought that was great, really nice of him.”

Phil travelled with the touring party as opposed to going by limousine. He enjoyed the companionship and he finished the tour at the Liverpool Empire on November 11, wholly relieved to have pulled it off. He said, “Towards the end of the tour, I was feeling quite at ease as a solo performer, but that doesn’t mean that I had any thoughts of breaking up the partnership.”

As well as Don’s health, he had his own worries. Phil told one reporter that he could be called up if the Cuban missile crisis escalated. Don, presumably, would be spared because of his health.

It was ironic that the tour should end in Liverpool as the Beatles had entered the charts with their first Parlophone single, ‘Love Me Do’, thus starting the British beat boom. The established American acts were going to find it harder to have chart hits.

Phil with Joey Paige at the 'Talk of the Town' and two ladies

Phil with school children during his time in London during this tour

Post 1 IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, Chris. Interesting post. A lot of changes in the early sixties. Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis...1963 was the 'sunset year', i.e., late December 1963, JFK murdered, the sleepy, innocent, fifties came to an end....."Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie"....the levee was dry....Beatles and Stones and anything British took over after The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. "Time, nor tide wait for no man."
Post 2 IP   flag post
I can see the photos have not posted. I will try to rectify it before it is too late to edit. Hopefully it works.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I now see it is too late to edit, 60 mins since I posted it. I will post it all again with the photos in the correct place, I am a little disappointed as to why it happened, but I will try to sort it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks, Chris. This is a great post!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Chris, when you posted the Stephanie Lawrence/Phil pictures yesterday. They didn't show at first, just the message "image could not be located" but when I looked in again I think about two hours later, all the pictures were there. I don't know if that will happen here with your posting, fingers crossed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
A Concert at the Cambridge Regal on October 22nd 1962 is listed on Billing as the Everly Brothers but this concert and one on October 15th 1962 in Hull are just two that were done by Phil on a solo tour, he completed the whole tour when Don was taken back to the US for medical attention. Joey Paige was on stage with Phil and after Phil had sung a couple of songs on his own, his good friend and band member Joey Paige joined Phil in singing the rest of the concert.

HULL Billboard October 15th 1962

Listed as Everly Brothers - it was Phil touring alone in 1962

Joey Paige on stage and singing with Phil

The full list of artists appearing were:

Everly Brothers (Phil on his own)
Frank Ifield
Ketty Lester
Dean Rogers
Terry Young Five
Vernon Girls

Compere was Norman Collier - Promoter was Arthur Howes in association with Leslie Grade.

October 1962

14 - East Ham (Granada)
15 - Hull (ABC)
16 - Stockton (Globe)
17 - Sheffield (City Hall)
18 - Lincoln (ABC)
19 - Leeds (Odeon)
20 - Newcastle (City Hall)
22 - Cambridge (Regal)
23 - Croydon (ABC)
24 - Kingston (ABC)
25 - Exeter (ABC)
26 - Plymouth (ABC)
27 - Bournemouth (Winter Gardens)
28 - Ipswich (Gaumont)
31 - Portsmouth (Guildhall)

November 1962

01 - Bristol (Colston Hall)
02 - Cheltenham (Gaumont)
03 - Cardiff (Sophia Gardens)
04 - Birmingham (Hippodrome)
07 - Huddersfield (ABC)
08 - Manchester (Apollo)
11 - Liverpool (Empire)

This photo was taken at the ABC in Exeter on October 25th 1962

Frank Ifield adds, “I loved the Everly Brothers’ records and it was so disappointing to find that Don was ill and had gone back to the States. I wanted to see them even more than the audience. Phil did the tour on his own and it didn’t make much difference as far as the bookings were concerned but it was a great pity not to see them together. I thought I was on the tour that was going to mark their break-up. I had to encourage Phil as he was very nervous about going out there, but the audience loved him anyway. He got a thunderous round of applause when he walked out but the promoter hadn’t put up notices saying it was only Phil. It had only been in the music press so most people were still expecting to see the Everly Brothers. From what I remember, Phil sang a couple of songs on his own and then one of the guys in the band sang Don’s part so it sounded pretty much like the Everly Brothers then. Some years later when I opened in Vegas Phil was on the front row supporting me and I thought that was great, really nice of him.”

Phil travelled with the touring party as opposed to going by limousine. He enjoyed the companionship and he finished the tour at the Liverpool Empire on November 11, wholly relieved to have pulled it off. He said, “Towards the end of the tour, I was feeling quite at ease as a solo performer, but that doesn’t mean that I had any thoughts of breaking up the partnership.”

As well as Don’s health, he had his own worries. Phil told one reporter that he could be called up if the Cuban missile crisis escalated. Don, presumably, would be spared because of his health.

It was ironic that the tour should end in Liverpool as the Beatles had entered the charts with their first Parlophone single, ‘Love Me Do’, thus starting the British beat boom. The established American acts were going to find it harder to have chart hits.

Phil with Joey Paige at the 'Talk of the Town' and two ladies

Phil with school children during his time in London during this tour

These are photos when both Phil and Don arrived in London for the start of the UK tour and of course before Don was sent back to the US for treatment.

Phil Everly performed a number of UK shows alone before the remaining European dates were cancelled.

He told the audience who'd been very supportive that first night, 'I really do appreciate this. Would you please give a big hand to my brother? He's not here to enjoy it.'

Phil later stated, 'Donald had not been well for a while, and we were semi-cognizant of his situation. It was just the most dreadful period I could ever imagine. There were like eight thousand different things causing it. It was just terrible.

Joey Page got me through the 1962 tour, particularly that first night at East Ham. That was my first solo on stage. I had to switch over to Don's part which I found very difficult. I sang the harmony part of "Lucille" all the way through. But there was nothing I could do - it was like the show must go on kinda silliness or put everybody out of work. But also too, I didn't know whether it was the end totally. I had no idea what the situation was. I knew we'd best continue and bring the funds in.'" (everlypedia)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for telling me that Roxy I didn't realise those photos showed up late. But it was after the editing time which I had not realised at that point when I noticed the photos were not here for the UK tour. It is very odd. It has been challenging editing the photos in one at a time, but eh oh all these things are sent to test us
Post 8 IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't look like they are going to show now Chris. However you have reposted them successfully and they are great. I haven't seen most of these photos before. Thank you for such an interesting post and photos. xx
Post 9 IP   flag post
A couple more photos to add to the UK Tour

Post 10 IP   flag post
Cool ! I espy Leslie Grade...was he connected to Lew Grade..?..if so, they were really big deals re talent-show biz-productions-etc. in Britan and the world from after the war, onward......weren't they?
Post 11 IP   flag post
You are right Craig, both a big noise in the UK regarding shows we watched at that time. I should check this but I think they were brothers.

Do you see on the Billboard the name Norman Collier, well he was a comedian who started out in clubs in the UK, he always seemed to be on TV for years. His act was to pretend that the microphone had intermittent problems when no words came through, he was a genius at doing it. Can you imagine wondering when you are coming on stage when he is introducing the act? If you have the time you can Google him, I hope there is a youtube link to watch.

I found a short one for everyone, but there are many.

Post 12 IP   flag post
HA!! Pretty funny, really. That's a good schtick. I like stand-up comedians.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
ChrisW. I will never forget that evening on October 14th 1962! I was in second house third row from the front! Poor Phil, he must have been out of his mind with worry. We were told it was food poisoning but Phil knew that Don had taken an over dose and had been taken to, I think it was the Middlesex hospital, to have his stomach pumped! Phil at that point didn't know if Don would live! Phil was so brave that evening!
Phil (and Don) being first reserve as an American marine was anticipating being called on owing to the Cuban missile crises! Phil, as we know was not as keen to go into the marines as was Don. Telling Don it was a rough outfit! After Don's over dose, Don was naturally down graded but poor ole Phil had to go into the marines for six weeks each year, as I remember it, because he was a first reserve and reserves have to be up to scratch if needed!
Nice to see the photo's from the tour Chris! xxx
Post 14 IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the great posting Chris some pictures I’ve not seen before. I went to the concert at Manchester I was nearly 13 and my older brother took me we had 2nd row seats wonderful. When phil came out he looked like little boy lost but his performance was fantastic. When he sang the last lines of Walk Right Back he changed it to I’m so lonesome without Don the audience went wild!! Mind you there was lots of frantic screaming already!! Then he asked for a round of applause for his brother who couldn’t be with him that night. I went home ecstatic it was the 1st time I’d seen them (Phil). I can also remembe the anticipation queuing up for the tickets hoping I’d get one as the queue was huge snaking round the outside of the building. Wonderful days xx❤️❤️
Post 15 IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris. Some great photos I've not seen before & lots of great info.
Great post.
Post 16 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Magic info Chris. I was still at school and my Mom couldn't afford the tickets, but my friend did go to the Birmingham show and bought me a program which I still have and cherish to this day
Post 17 IP   flag post
MeFloody! I'm really sorry you couldn't go to the 1962 show! I was so disappointed that both the Everly Brothers were not performing! However looking back, it's a real piece of Everly history and I was at the show where it all happened! I made up for it a little by seeing them several times before the split! Those two guys were in chains to their jealous managements! How hard it is to stop such a 'Merry Go Round' so many people to consider! They never let it spoilt their wonderful harmony. Amazing!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Amen to that Jean. The on-stage performance given by Don and Phil very seldom showed any animosity towards each other. Quiet the reverse; it seemed to give them a neutral ground where they could just be brothers, enjoying singing together ❤ PS I did get to see them a few years later (with Little Richard and the Stones) and then, dozens of times thereafter 👍😄
Post 19 IP   flag post
MeFloody. So glad you got to see the Everly's so many times, each concert is a gem! l loved to see them walk on stage wearing their beautiful smart tuxedos, their guitars slung so stylishly over their backs, ready to give their best to their audience who had often travelled quite a distance to see them! My husband was so good about taking me to see the shows and staying in a hotel over night to meet up with my two friends, there, for the same reason!

I still watch them by video on stage and just wonder where that unique style came from? There isn't another twosome with such style, that anywhere near resembles theirs! They both sang so pleasingly when they went solo! However, when that harmonious sound came from the blend of both their voices, it really is quite unbelievable! We could search the world for a replacement. I'm sure it can't be found! xxx
Post 20 IP   flag post
So true Jean. I agree wholeheartedly. I too was able to go to their concerts many many times and was fortunate to go to both reunion concerts. On the 1st night excellent seats just to the left of the stage front row. Unforgettable and wonderful xx ❤️❤️
Post 21 IP   flag post
Joyb. Wow What fabulous seats you had for the reunion! I'm glad a genuine Everly fan had those seats! Did you think one concert was better than the other? Maybe it was swings and roundabouts?
You must have been in heaven!xxx
Post 22 IP   flag post
No both concerts were amazing but the seats on the 2nd night were half way back on the flat seating in the middle On the 1st night I could have walked up and almost touched them if I’d been brave enough. A girl walked past me to pass some flowers up Both nights were magical and the excitement never stopped xx❤️❤️
Post 23 IP   flag post
Joy, were you sat by Laura W? I refused tickets for the first night; to worried it wouldn't go right, but I was there second night, in the centre, one row back with Sue G
Post 24 IP   flag post
All of you at the Reunion either night do you watch the dvd and try to see where you were sat when the camera pans around? Imagine being close to each other watching this amazing concert and then years later coming back together on this Everly site? Isn't it wonderful?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Oh Mike I went to the concert in Manchester when Bo Didley and Little Richard were on the bill I remember little richard coming off the stage and running around the back of the auditorium singing and you could still hear him !! Also when the Rolling Stones were on they wore black and white check jackets very smart. How things change. Mickey Most was the compare. Happy days lovely memoriesxx❤️❤️
Post 26 IP   flag post
No I don’t know Laura by face but I do know sue. We still exchange Christmas cards and it was her that told me about this site. Do you remember when she was on breakfast tv with Don and phil I think a year or so later when they were touringxx❤️❤️
Post 27 IP   flag post
50620 27 27
destitute