The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
The duet with both boys was posted before, but I'm partial to Don's solo remake.

Enjoy!

Post 1 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Fabulous outtake.
Seeing that the video was created by Chu Gaerlan, does anyone know how she is these days?
Post 2 IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Redhead,

Great demo!

As much as I appreciate The Everly Brothers perfection in harmony [thinking "Sleepless Nights", "Love Hurts", to name but two] the raw talent of just Don and his guitar is in a different level [as a composer, as a singer, as an interpreter of his own and others' compositions, etc.].

I'm not comparing, just two different facets of the same...

This is one that leaves me in awe each and every time I listen to it again, and again, and again:

Re: Chu. No idea, hasn't posted for a long time...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ricardo -

I love that one as well.

It astounds me that the public was so focused on them both being just 'a 50's act' that they overlooked the work they both put out later. In my opinion what they did in the 60's 70's and 80's is even better than what they did in the 50's - and their 50's music was outstanding. Don was exceptionally good with the solo music but Phil also hit some out of the park himself.

When I first discovered them in 5th grade I obsessively listened to Bowling Green over and over.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yes indeed ma'am!

The "Air that I Breathe" is one of my favorites, & this one, wow!

Funny how once one starts really listening to them singing solo, one can notice just how different they were! A true miracle how synergistic both of them together could be!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ricardo -

For some reason I get no sound when I try to play that one.

Here is Phil singing that song and breaking down towards the end. He was singing it live on their summer replacement show. Apparently he was going through his first divorce at the time. This is just the audio, no video.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
I love them all, stunning. I prefer this version of It's all Over' It knocks me out every time.

Post 7 IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAPriori
Yes indeed ma'am!

The "Air that I Breathe" is one of my favorites, & this one, wow!

Funny how once one starts really listening to them singing solo, one can notice just how different they were! A true miracle how synergistic both of them together could be!

That really breaks me up listening to Phil as he starts to cry at the end of that song. It was from a TV show, but thankfully, it disappeared from Youtube a long time ago. In the live recording posted here a few days ago of Phil singing "Living alone" you can hear he is getting very emotional but turns it in to a joke.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Of The Everly Brothers versions, I personally prefer the first [In Our Image] one, [without all the nylon string guitar improvised fills, chorus, etc. ― to me all preposterous ― overdubs]

In addition to the overdubs, I personally don’t like that fans splice together fragments of a song ― or the whole song ― in order to make it longer. I think it’s tampering with the producers’, engineers’ and artists’ painstaking labor of making a record in accordance with their tastes.

Straight from Everlypedia [as usual, thanx & kudos to Robin Dunn & Chrissie van Varik]:

click here for August 2017, latest update link

click here for Root page link

click here for "Sackful O’ Rock, Country, Folk, Soul & Blues" link

«Recorded 12th November 1965 at RCA Victor, Studio B, Hollywood, California, and issued 1st December 1965 as WB US single # 5682, coupled with ‘I Used To Love You’. Versions appear on both 1966’s IN OUR IMAGE and 1967’s THE EVERLY BROTHERS SING although regrettably with much redundant overdubs on the latter.

[...]

Don: "That is one of my favourites. But, I thought that maybe the record was too belaboured. Too drone-like or drudgery. The song was, you know… I remember playing it, recording and then asking the engineer (Dave Hassinger) what did he think. He said, ‘Well, that’s good, do you want to hear the new Rolling Stones record?’ (laughs) I went away thinking, ‘Oh shit.’ I was on the wrong track, I felt.”»

Post 9 IP   flag post
50620 9 9
destitute