The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Roxy, I had noticed the very emotional quality of the "Lynched" version, in addition to the accent, but didn't know what it was called or that it was used at Irish funerals.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Of course if the lovers were of diffferent faiths their families would have been vehemently opposed to the match.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Jeanroberts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
Ricardo, the Lynched version of Willow garden... the vocalist is singing in what my mother would have called a "Keening" voice which was typical of the way the vocalist would sing/lament at Irish funerals, long ago.

Of course Roxy, you're quite right! Keening is the discription of the singing by the lady in Lynched! It's ages since I've heard the like! Very authentic!

Jane43 Put up practical points too! If the courting couple were of opposite faiths, they'd be hell to pay, especial if the girl was pregnant! Plus, life being so cheep in those times, doing away with someone and hoping to cover their tracks was a risk worth taking! Ha Ha! It's a loaded song this Willow Gardens and not the only song of its type when we read the lyrics of 'Knoxville Girl' printed out by Jane43 too! That courting couple just must have had the girl 'in trouble'!
This has been an interesting topic! xxx
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes it has been really interesting to talk about these old songs. I wonder if future generations will have such conversations about the songs of today?
Post 29 • IP   flag post
EB84 private msg quote post Address this user
Re the accent.
I heard that this was a concern when the met in the Spring of '83. Phils accent had changed due to living in LA for that period and Don moving back to Nashville.

I lovw his twang in the video shot at his hotel when he talks about falling in the well and his accent really comes through.
Post 30 • IP   flag post

Redhead1966 private msg quote post Address this user
EB84 - Can you post that video, please?
Post 31 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
EB84 - Can you post that video, please?

Redhead. 'Don Everly On Kentucky Afield' I think this is the one! Don doesn't actually fall down the well but his accent is well in evidence! It's on You Tube! Not sure how to post the video! My next job is to find out how! I'm sure you'll find it! It's the one with Don taking two guys around his land and Lake Adela .......As far as I know!
Post 32 • IP   flag post
Jeanroberts -

I know the video you're talking about, I saw it on Youtube. It starts with him fishing in the boat with his old teacher and that cute host of the show.
Post 33 • IP   flag post
Yes Redhead, that's the one! Hope you find it again! xxx
Post 34 • IP   flag post
Here you are:

Sorry still haven't got to the Cadence Sessions 2 CD...
Post 35 • IP   flag post
Ricardo - Thanks!

FYI: the host of the show went on to lose his arm in a motorcycle accident.

clickable text
Post 36 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane43
Yes it has been really interesting to talk about these old songs. I wonder if future generations will have such conversations about the songs of today?

Though I loved Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" and a lot of Ed Sheeran's, I doubt many so called "songs" of the day will last a bit over a year or two at the most. Lets not forget that these old folk songs are the ones that have survived the test of time.
Post 37 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead1966
Ricardo - Thanks!

FYI: the host of the show went on to lose his arm in a motorcycle accident.

clickable text

He does a pretty good job singing Phil's part too!
Post 38 • IP   flag post
I never heard any accent from Phil even when they were young, but always in Don. It wasn't just after Phil moved to LA. To my ears he never had an accent. I like both of their voices, don't get me wrong, just that one has an accent and the other not.
Post 39 • IP   flag post
Total agree Redhead! Phil has always had such soft well spoken speech, lovely to listen to. Don has the accent still, and I've heard him say befower when he says before at times! Both of them have speech full of their characters!
Video's keep all these wonderful musical artists alive to us! They are not simply a memory! Thanks to You Tube! xxx
Post 40 • IP   flag post
Jeanrobert -

I especially love how Don says 'keer' instead of 'care' in some songs. Specifically I hear it when he sings Deep Water.

Post 41 • IP   flag post
46350 41 16
destitute