The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Let It Be Me, with extra verse7186

Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

I'm also a fan of Cliff and the Shadows ( it's a middle aged , sad woman's thing, according to my son!). I found this old version on YouTube, where there's an extra verse sung. In all the films and recordings of this song that Don and Phil did together, and Phil did solo, it's not included. Does anyone on the forum know if the extra verse was written as part of the original, or added later, and did the boys ever record the longer version? I'm very curious!
(Apologies to those members who have no idea who Cliff or the Shadows are)
Post 1 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Liz,

In my humble opinion the extra verse would have been an addition after the original French composers song lyrics. Might have been a "NYC Brill Building" modernization addition, or whatever. Cliff, The Shadows were good, as you say. Didn't they have "Living Doll," "Apache," and "Dance On" hits somewhere along the line....?

Thanks, Craig
Post 2 • IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Tend to agree with Craig.

The original lyrics have nothing to do with the English version:

The Shadows' version [as most other English versions] is obviously based on the EBs' rather than on the original authors'.

The brothers modified a couple of words with time ["and so I beg you", etc.]

Post 3 • IP   flag post
Interesting to see them in perfect Gilbert Becaud trademark "uniform", polka dot ties, shirt collars, sharp dark blazers, hair and all...

Post 4 • IP   flag post
ORIGINAL LYRICS [FRENCH & ENGLISH]
By Gilbert Bécaud & Pierre Delanoë.

French
Je t’appartiens

I
Comme l'argile
L'insecte fragile
L'esclave docile
Je t'appartiens

De tout mon être
Tu es le seul maître
Je dois me soumettre
Je t'appartiens

II
Si tu condamnes
Jetant mon âme
Au creux des flammes
Je n'y peux rien

Si tu condamnes
Si tu me damnes
Voici mon âme
Voici mes mains

I’
Avec les peines
L'amour et la haine
Coulant dans mes veines
Je t'appartiens

Que puis-je faire
Pour te satisfaire
Patron de la terre
Sur mon chemin
Comme les anges
Chanter tes louanges
Mais je ne suis pas un ange
Tu le sais bien

II’
Je ne suis qu'un homme
Rien qu'un pauvre homme
Je t'aime bien
Comme un copain

I’’
Souvent je pense
Que dans ton immense
Palais de silence
Tu dois être bien

Parfois je pense
Que dans ton immense
Palais de silence
On doit être bien

English translation
I belong to you

I
Like clay
The fragile insect
The docile slave
I belong to you

Of all my being
You are the only master
I have to submit
I belong to you

II
If you condemn
Throwing my soul
To the hollow of flames
I can do nothing

If you condemn
If you damn me
Here is my soul
Here are my hands

I’
With the sorrows
Love and hatred
Flowing in my veins
I belong to you

What can I do
To satisfy you
Owner of the earth
On my way

Like angels
Singing your praises
But I am not an angel
You know that

II’
I am just a man
Nothing but a poor man
I love you
Like a friend (companion)

I’’
Often I think
That in your immense
Palace of silence
You must be good

Sometimes I think
That in your immense
Palace of silence
We must be good

Post 5 • IP   flag post
Ha! Found it!

Complete English lyrics by Mann Curtis [w/extra verses]:

Let It Be Me

(Mann Curtis - Pierre Delanoe - Gilbert Becaud)

I bless the day I found you, I want to stay around you
And so I beg you let it be me
Don't take this heaven from one if you must cling to someone
Now and forever let it be me.

Each time we meet love I find complete love
Without your sweet love what would life be
So never leave me lonely, tell me you'll love me only
And that you'll always let it be me.

If for each bit of gladness someone must taste the sadness
I'll bear the sorrow please let it be me
And no matter what the price is I'll make the sacrifices
For each new tomorrow just let it be me.

To you I'm praying,
Hear what I'm saying,
Please let your heart beat
For me, just me

Each time we meet love I find complete love
Without your sweet love what would life be
So never leave me lonely, tell me you'll love me only
And that you'll always let it be me.

Let it be me...

clickable text

Google translation of the notes in the You Tube video [my bold type]:

Gilbert Bécaud's song, Je t'appartiens has been translated into English by Mann Curtis under the title Let it be me and first performed by Jill Corey with Jimmy Carroll and his orchestra in 1957 but it is the version of Everly Brothers that will materialize the success of the song across the Atlantic. The title will then be repeated many times and in very different styles including Brenda Lee, Sonny & Cher who will make a success of pop music, Nancy Sinatra, Sam & Dave, first soul version, Mitch Ryder has the Detroit Wheels, Françoise Hardy, Anggun and Claudine Longet, Petula Clark, Bob Dylan, Percy Sledge, James Brown & Lyn Collins (salsa version), Demis Roussos, Willie Nelson, Nina Simone, George Harrison, actor Leonard Nimoy and even the King Elvis Presley.
In Italian Ricky Sanna sang Come a Bambino "just like Gilbert Bécaud In Dutch, Peter Koelewijn & Carola Smit performed Als ik je zie" while De Civilians sang Ik heb je terug gevonden
Further north, in Finland, Se oli silloin was sung by Eija Kantola, by Jarkko ja Laura or by Kaarina Hand while Toni Rossi ja Sinitaivas sang Kun uskoin unohdukseen. In Denmark Nur er du min was sung by Gert Günther while Bjorn Tidmand played the 'det vaer' mig and Peter Kent sang Hold lid a mig.
In Germany, Die Flippers sang Seit es dich gibt and Gilbert Bécaud performed Ich gehör dir. Françoise Hardy sang Zeig mir bei nacht di sterne as well as Detlef Engel, Adam & Eve or Charly Brunner & Simone.
In Serbian, Idoli sang "Samo me gledaj i budi" you.
In Spanish the duo Magneto sang "Reza por me".
In Hebrew Corrine Allal sang Safek Gadol ספק גדול.
Roch Voisine sang a version mixing Let it be me and I belong to you.
In French, the covers were also numerous, notably by Nicole Croisille, Daniel Guichard, Salvatore Adamo, Sacha Distel, Eddy Mitchell, Ginette Reno, Olivier Despax or the Compagnons de la Chanson and Renée Martel & Patrick Norman.

Post 6 • IP   flag post
Oooops!

This verse should go after "If for each bit of gladness..." and before "To you I'm praying...":

No matter what the price is,
I'll make the sacrifices,
Through each tomorrow,
Let it be me.

[It's slightly simpler than the one above.]

clickable text

Post 7 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Cool stuff! You are a master researcher Ricardo.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Ricardo, you're a star!Well done for all your exacting research.
(The Shadows version I do love, for several reasons-John Rostill sadly died in 1973, and so many people don't realise that they had hits in their own right that were NOT instrumentals.)
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Always been fascinated by the subterranean connections in music.

Discovered Gilbert Becaud early on with “Et Maintenant” and then was captivated when I first learned he was the original author of “Let It Be Me”; just to soon find out he was co-author of “September Morning” [“C’est en Septembre”] with [proud Everly Brothers Gibson guitar owner] Neil Diamond.

The book "Lyrics (Songbook): Complete Lyrics for Over 1000 Songs from Broadway to Rock" By Hal Leonard Corp.is a recent truly treasurable find.

My friends, “Los Locos del Ritmo” recorded several Shadows’ [for whom we share the admiration] covers in Mexico:

but it was yours truly who introduced them to the EBs “I’m not Angry”:

Ha ha! ;D
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for all the information Ricardo, very interesting.

Liz I remember 5he original Shadows: Hank B Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan and met all of them except Tony. Apache was a brilliant record and a huge hit and as you rightly say they had many hits in their own right.

They were originally called The Drifters but had to change their name because the American vocal group already Used it.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Jane, Cliff's touring again next year, but rumour has it that the Shadows will be joining him, as it's 60 (eek!) years since Move It kicked it all off. Sadly, my nearest one in Glasgow, sold out very quickly.
How i wish that Phil and Cliff had done a tour together...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
That would have been an excellent idea during the 10 year break Liz. They got on so well together and had mutual admiration. Phil joined him on stage quite a few times as we all know, but yes they could have done a concert together. Mixing their songs around like Gerry and the Pacemakers did on that so funny clip

I am seeing them on stage in my mind now
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Liz one of my friends bought me Move It on a 78 when I was still at school. I can remember the excitement of playing it on my parents’ radiogram for the first time.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
My brother bought Move It too Jane it was a 45rpm though. At the time it was either 78 or 45 until 78s were phased out. I loved B side of Move It and used to sing it constantly. Elvis's Teddy Bear was a 78. Between us we bought all releases of Everly Brothers Cliff, Buddy Holly and with the Crickets too, Elvis. I remember when Buddy died they released 13 singles at the same time and my brother wasn't happy about that for several reasons. One stand out reason is Buddy wouldn't sell as many as if they were brought out one at a time. Also my brother couldn't afford them all in one go. It was a sad day in our home.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
45223 15 15
destitute